The battle for 4th place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend of mine just sent me the following. Not sure if it's all true (knowing him it probably is) but it highlights how wrong things have gone this season.
The defeat yesterday means City have lost 17 out of the last 18 occasions they have trailed at half-time in a league match. They have gone 22 games without recording back-to-back wins and, even more startlingly, managed only two victories in 14 matches against top-half teams. City’s total of 51 points is down from 61, 67, 62 and 70 at the corresponding stage of the previous four seasons.
Being 4th, still in CL and COC winners I hadn't quite realised how poor we've been until I read that....
The 22 games is correct if you ignore cup matches, we won in Kiev followed by Capital One cup success against the Pool (counts as a win).

Prior to that we beat Everton (Capital 1), Villa (FA Cup) and Sunderland (PL) in successive games.

Frankly the competitions in order of preference for me are PL, FAC, CL, C1 and it is in the first of these that we have been abysmal.

No it hasn't gone but instead of the players spouting all sorts of nonsense in the press and on social media how about they start to show it where it counts. I am still mad at the money it cost me to watch us lose against Wigan in the final as the players couldn't be arsed and now more of my money is being chucked down the drain as certain players can't be arsed. I wish I could turn up to work and perform as and when I wanted to and still get paid.

Wouldn't say it has gone, we are still in 4th after all. Personally, looking at the way we are playing, I think finishing 6th or 7th is much more likely than finishing 4th but you never know I suppose. The most astonishing thing (along with how bad we have become) is that we are still in the top 4 despite being so shit for so long.

I can't even find 12 points.

Losses against Arsenal, Southampton, Chelsea.

Draws against Stoke, Swansea and Newcastle

Wins against West Brom and Bournemouth (maybe)

9 points. End on 60. Finish 7th.

I can't even see us getting a point at Newcastle or beating Bournemouth. All it takes is them to put pressure on us and we'll end up breaking into pieces

Given that I don't see any way we'll finish above the rags or West Ham, I couldn't argue with that. I guess it's not really a concern anymore, but I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if Southampton and/or the dippers reined us in as well. At the moment I just can't see where the next win's coming from with this mad arse in charge. The decision making from Khaldoon downwards this season has been catastrophic

Bin dippers have two games in hand. If they win both they'll be on 50 points meaning they'll either be 1, 2 or 4 points behind us depending on whether we win/draw/lose our game in hand. Shambolic.

As well as the new injuries we also now have Aguero/Otta and Zab in Argentina a few days befor the next game. Toure in the Sudan and Fernandinho in Paraguay. Just what we need the moment.

Pellegrini is obviously right to point out that we're still in fourth and that there are still 24 points to play for. What looks a tall order is getting enough points to beat off the challenge from other clubs, in particular West Ham. We have five away games remaining and three at home and, though many would have seemed a formality even twelve months ago, many now seem tricky to say the least. Since our fifth consecutive victory on September 12 we have played eleven away games and only won eleven points. In these games we have been poor defensively, conceding 14 goals, and our problems in central defence are well documented, but it is up front where we have been even worse, scoring only seven, or half as many as we have let in! We have drawn a blank in six and scored one in three. We scored two in two games but only won that at Watford. One was enough to win at Sunderland. It would seem that we can get no more than five points away from home and, at best, we can only really expect eight. Our home form since September 12 is only twenty five points from fourteem matches, though this is better than our dreadful form away from the Etihad. The worry here is that we have lost all our home games to top six teams and one of our home games is against third placed Arsenal. The other two are West Brom and Stoke. A win against the Baggies might be expected but Stoke made an awful mess of City at their place. It would seem we will harvest between three and six points at home. This would give us between 59 and 65 points for the season and, though West Ham and United have some very tricky games it is far from certain that this would see us home in fourth place. What is even worse is that it seems to be getting worse: in our last four games we have played two teams in the relegation places and only won one, and two teams in the top half, and lost them both. We failed to score against one of the relegation placed teams and both of the top half teams. No part of our team is playing at all well.

The way I see it is that it's excuse after excuse after we lose. The players need to start showing some urgency rather than talking about the need to show urgency. Pathetic second half to the season. I was worried this would happen a few months ago. That the occasional listless performances would become the norm. Shocked it's worse than I thought it would be - and I'm a total pessimist. The wheels have well and truly fallen off. Roll on next season.

We can still easily make top four, the returning Nasri and KDB will hopefully give us a huge boost.

We can, i agree but some man management and leadership is needed from Khaldoon and Txiki.

They wont sack Pellegrini but they must have a word and demand that certain things change immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.