The Boxing thread

What's even more amazing is that Canelo moved up and didn't just fight anyone, he fought the king (and won). Then you add onto that how many fights this guy has had, it reminds me of Muay Thai fighters having fought hundreds of fights by their mid-20s. Baukaw for example has close to 300 fights and hes the same age as GGG!
I just wish we had the chance to watch GGG in his true sporting prime, if they'd been able to get him to go pro earlier in his 20's then we could have got some mega fights. At least we have had Lomachenko since he was 25.
Yeah that is a shame, these are the fights that improve fighters the most too. At least Golovkin will have had 2-3 massive pay days(assuming his promoters aren't shafting him) before all is said and done.

I don't fancy BJS' chances against either of them, he would have been better off trying to line one of them up before they'd fought each other and I still think he would have gotten outclassed or knocked out if he had.

Does anyone have a link or is able to point me in the direction of a re-run of the fight (without having to pay BT for the privilege)?

Really looking forward to see it...........

For what it's worth, I scored the first one as a draw

Yeah that is a shame, these are the fights that improve fighters the most too. At least Golovkin will have had 2-3 massive pay days(assuming his promoters aren't shafting him) before all is said and done.

I don't fancy BJS' chances against either of them, he would have been better off trying to line one of them up before they'd fought each other and I still think he would have gotten outclassed or knocked out if he had.
There's a couple fighers that GGG and BJS have both fought and GGG has obliterated them both whereas BJS has taken them to decisions. If he waits long enough he might be able to catch GGG on the way down but he won't be able to wait for Canelo. And tbh i don't think he's a big enough name for either of them to bother with now.

Octagon/ring control is a real thing in most of the MMA regulations, dependent on state commission. It was my understanding that ring control & aggression if shown to enforce a fighters own style or will gets marked on in boxing, and i think Canello showed a lot of that in this second fight to be fair to him.
As far as i am aware you need to land the shots clean. I had a quick look on it this is what i found. It kind of in need of the rules on the scoring being changed if you ask me.

• Effective Aggression – Being aggressive gives the impression of dominance, but unless the boxer is landing shots and not constantly getting countered, it’s not exactly “effective.” Judges look for effective aggression, where the aggressor consistently lands his punches and avoids those from his opponent.
  • Ring Generalship – The fighter who controls the action and enforces his will and style.
  • Defense – How well is a boxer slipping, parrying, and blocking punches? Good defense is important.
So going by that you decide on the fight on those 3 points and the scoring shots too. It may need reviewing.

As far as i am aware you need to land the shots clean. I had a quick look on it this is what i found. It kind of in need of the rules on the scoring being changed if you ask me.

• Effective Aggression – Being aggressive gives the impression of dominance, but unless the boxer is landing shots and not constantly getting countered, it’s not exactly “effective.” Judges look for effective aggression, where the aggressor consistently lands his punches and avoids those from his opponent.
  • Ring Generalship – The fighter who controls the action and enforces his will and style.
  • Defense – How well is a boxer slipping, parrying, and blocking punches? Good defense is important.
So going by that you decide on the fight on those 3 points and the scoring shots too. It may need reviewing.
I don't think there's any way that boxing would ever change that tbh mate. Joe Rogan suggested on his podcast that MMA adopts 5 judges or even 10, because you can easily get 2 judges out of 3 that can be shit but 3 out of 5 or 6 out of 10 is a lot harder. In MMA, at least in UFC anyway, the judges have nothing to do with the promoter and they are assigned by the governing body of the state. Of course that doesn't mean they can't be corrupt but when bad decisions are given its generally because of the incompetence of the judges. One of the fighters he had on his podcast suggested that there should be constant examinations of the judges and possibly even judges that are not judging the fight but are judging the judges!

I don't know about anyone else but having read over most peoples takes from from both sides, how both boxers went about the fight is kind of an admittance in my view from both camps about how close the first fight really was. It looks as though they both made concerted efforts to address things that may have lost them points in the first fight:

1st fight:
GGG coming forward putting Canelo constantly on the back foot with a high punch output but being made to miss a lot and being countered alot, some rounds far too much, which all good judges notice and some will give points for if there's not much between them.
Canelo concentrated on solid defence, making Golovkin miss and countering when the opportunity arose but at points this affected his punch output too much and it also allowed himself to be backed up all fight in the process, which all good judges notice and some will give points for if there's not much between them.

2nd fight:
GGG not wasting half as many punches but allowed Canelo to back him up and take centre of the ring for the majority of the fight.
Canelo chose to come forward not allowing GGG to put him on the back foot. Took cleaner shots this time around(which GGG did in both fights but some simply praise his chin for that?) especially the jab, even got caught with a few of GGG's best shots but took them well and answered them.

Where will they go from there if there's a 3rd fight?

Last edited:
I don't think there's any way that boxing would ever change that tbh mate. Joe Rogan suggested on his podcast that MMA adopts 5 judges or even 10, because you can easily get 2 judges out of 3 that can be shit but 3 out of 5 or 6 out of 10 is a lot harder. In MMA, at least in UFC anyway, the judges have nothing to do with the promoter and they are assigned by the governing body of the state. Of course that doesn't mean they can't be corrupt but when bad decisions are given its generally because of the incompetence of the judges. One of the fighters he had on his podcast suggested that there should be constant examinations of the judges and possibly even judges that are not judging the fight but are judging the judges!

I like Joe Rogan talks a lot of sense at times. I would be in favour of adding 2 more judges to the ring for the fights. They could easily sort that out at the fights. I also argee with the judges being judged. I have seen some score cards being just terrible and so lob sided. Also I would also have the in ring ref scoring the fight too. There seeing it up close and personal. They should have there own score card too.

Very sad to hear the news about Enzo Calzaghe. Seemed a great character and only 69.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.