The Boxing thread

I had this one closer to a draw than the first encounter, i though Canelo controlled the centre of the ring a lot more in this fight and landed a lot more clean shots than he did in the first one. That being said, he was peppered with SOLID jabs all fight and most of the second half of the fight was GGG. I couldn't make an argument for Canelo winning but easily for it being a draw or razor thin GGG win, it's not a robbery but it's not the correct decision either. The first fight was GGG by a mile so by rights this should be 1-1.
You're entitled to your opinion, to be fair.

I personally think in the first fight you couldn't be more biased if you gave him more than 1 of the first 3 rounds(even Max Tellerman gave him the first 3 and he's a GGG fanboy) and I thought the last 3 were clearly Canelo's strongest rounds as he came on strong late, there's even a case for the 9th round where Canelo landed the punch of the fight by far(caused that lump on GGG's cheek) but GGG was busier. I think those who pay attention to the replays will see how comfortable Canelo is at close quarters watching it back, slipping and countering, hands down with his back to the ropes at times calling him forward. Interestingly his face was more marked up in this fight than it was in the first fight, remembering the power GGG carries, surely that means something doesn't add up with the way some people were calling the first fight.

The difference in this fight was it was much more back and forth, in the first fight Golovkin was able to put 6 rounds back to back(many thought Canelo gassed with the extra weight he put on) which is what I think swayed a lot of people who weren't scoring round by round, this fight Canelo made sure he took some of those middle rounds. There also wasn't anything like that 7th round GGG had in the first fight either which is still his best round against Canelo so far.

Regarding the overstated "javelin jab"(that BT Sports commentary were trying to push) it was used to break his gaurd up but he a) It never led to anything truly solid/telling b) It failed to even stop Canelo coming forward, countering with power shots throughout.

I knew the GGG fans would be sore but they don't even have the pundits on their side this time around, there's even some saying Canelo won this time around. I scored it a draw the first time of watching, I feel my opinion was swayed by the god awful commentary from BT Sports though and will watch it back. They were refusing to call scoring shots or simply distracted himself while he praised GGG at length which is just blantant fanboyism. It was as I said, like listening to Crimson Clive on a rags game calling a jab like "rooooooooneeeey".

One thing is for sure Canelo proved every hater wrong and we even have hypocrisy, reversing what they said during the first fight where they gave GGG rounds for being the aggressor not actually landing a lot of punches, ignoring how successful Canelo was at making him miss.

Last edited:
You're entitled to your opinion, to be fair.

I personally think in the first fight you couldn't be more biased if you gave him more than 1 of the first 3 rounds(even Max Tellerman gave him the first 3 and he's a GGG fanboy) and I thought the last 3 were clearly Canelo's strongest rounds as he came on strong late, there's even a case for the 9th round where Canelo landed the punch of the fight by far(caused that lump on GGG's cheek) but GGG was busier. I think those who pay attention to the replays will see how comfortable Canelo is at close quarters watching it back, slipping and countering, hands down with his back to the ropes at times calling him forward. Interestingly his face was more marked up in this fight than it was in the first fight, remembering the power GGG carries, surely that means something doesn't add up with the way some people were calling the first fight.

The difference in this fight was it was much more back and forth, in the first fight Golovkin was able to put 6 rounds back to back which is what I think swayed a lot of people who weren't scoring round by round, this fight Canelo made sure he took some of those middle rounds. There also wasn't anything like that 7th round GGG had in the first fight either which is still his best round against Canelo so far.

Regarding the overstated "javelin jab"(that BT Sports commentary were trying to puch) it was used to break his gaurd up but he a) It never led to anything truly solid/telling b) It failed to even stop Canelo coming forward, countering with power shots throughout.

I knew the GGG fans would be sore but they don't even have the pundits on their side this time around there's even some saying Canelo won this time around.
I'm in no way a GGG fan boy, when it comes to combat sports i'm well and truly on the side of MMA, but i watched it without commentary and with respect for both fighters and called it how i saw it. I personally thought the middle rounds, although not completely in favour of GG, were his rounds. But the first one was undeniably GGG's fight, i've not seen many people giving it the other way round tbh. Same for this fight, most of the pundits i've read up gave it to GGG HOWEVER, i don't think it's right to be up in arms about it and i don't even think GGG was, it went to the judges and it wasn't clear cut either way. Some say you should have to do more to take the belt away from the champ, i don't agree with that sentiment and think if you beat the champ you take the W regardless of whether he has a belt or not.

I'm in no way a GGG fan boy, when it comes to combat sports i'm well and truly on the side of MMA, but i watched it without commentary and with respect for both fighters and called it how i saw it. I personally thought the middle rounds, although not completely in favour of GG, were his rounds. But the first one was undeniably GGG's fight, i've not seen many people giving it the other way round tbh. Same for this fight, most of the pundits i've read up gave it to GGG HOWEVER, i don't think it's right to be up in arms about it and i don't even think GGG was, it went to the judges and it wasn't clear cut either way. Some say you should have to do more to take the belt away from the champ, i don't agree with that sentiment and think if you beat the champ you take the W regardless of whether he has a belt or not.
Nah plenty of people had Canelo drawing and even winning the first fight, contrary to your "undeniable" claim I've watched it back many times, 7-5 I can see but you'd have to be leaning towards GGG and you'd have to admit there wasn't a lot in it, 8-4 is just pure fanboyism in my view.

There has been a split of pundits current fighters and and former pros and there all split on the decision. Fighting on the front foot come forward fighting will always get a few rounds in any fight. If a boxer is picking you off and you have to take a few of there punches to land your own then you would have to score those shots just as much as the come forward fighting. It s not the MMA here where ring control you would get points for it. You need to land and taking the centre of the ring doesnt automatically give you extra points you need to work for it in my opinion.

Nah plenty of people had Canelo drawing and even winning the first fight, contrary to your "undeniable" claim I've watched it back many times, 7-5 I can see but you'd have to be leaning towards GGG and you'd have to admit there wasn't a lot in it, 8-4 is just pure fanboyism in my view.
Fair enough, i've only watched it twice and from memory i had it so far in favour of GGG i was bemused both times at how they had given it as a draw.

I had the feeling by the end of the fight that their strengths cancel each other out so much that we will never have a definitive answer. Honestly true boxing fans even if the score wasn't what they had will still have been grinning at how good it was as a contest at times, they are both very different boxers but each very impressive in their own right.

There has been a split of pundits current fighters and and former pros and there all split on the decision. Fighting on the front foot come forward fighting will always get a few rounds in any fight. If a boxer is picking you off and you have to take a few of there punches to land your own then you would have to score those shots just as much as the come forward fighting. It s not the MMA here where ring control you would get points for it. You need to land and taking the centre of the ring doesnt automatically give you extra points you need to work for it in my opinion.
Octagon/ring control is a real thing in most of the MMA regulations, dependent on state commission. It was my understanding that ring control & aggression if shown to enforce a fighters own style or will gets marked on in boxing, and i think Canello showed a lot of that in this second fight to be fair to him.

I had the feeling by the end of the fight that their strengths cancel each other out so much that we will never have a definitive answer. Honestly true boxing fans even if the score wasn't what they had will still have been grinning at how good it was as a contest at times, they are both very different boxers but each very impressive in their own right.
Yep, i text my friend afterwards (who's a huge Canello fan but thought it was a draw) that i wasn't that arsed about the result because it was exactly what i have been waiting for in a boxing match, both fighters engaging and trying to win the fight. Great fight and a perfect showcase of boxing.

Yep, i text my friend afterwards (who's a huge Canello fan but thought it was a draw) that i wasn't that arsed about the result because it was exactly what i have been waiting for in a boxing match, both fighters engaging and trying to win the fight. Great fight and a perfect showcase of boxing.
I thought the first fight would be hard to top but this one went up a level, it's like they are pushing each other to a new gear when they meet.

I thought the first fight would be hard to top but this one went up a level, it's like they are pushing each other to a new gear when they meet.
What's even more amazing is that Canelo moved up and didn't just fight anyone, he fought the king (and won). Then you add onto that how many fights this guy has had, it reminds me of Muay Thai fighters having fought hundreds of fights by their mid-20s. Baukaw for example has close to 300 fights and hes the same age as GGG!
I just wish we had the chance to watch GGG in his true sporting prime, if they'd been able to get him to go pro earlier in his 20's then we could have got some mega fights. At least we have had Lomachenko since he was 25.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.