The Boxing thread

This could be aj's Lewis v rahman moment if he avenges it, or like has been mentioned, he's just a modern day frank Bruno, time will tell. Hopefully he's learnt, like Lewis did, your most important fight is the next fight, not the perceived bigger ones after
Joshua is no Lewis who in my eyes was an all time great . So Ruiz could well do this again .mcracken was very poor in Joshua’s corner aswell .

Should Joshua, if he is good enough, not be able to weigh the fella up there and then to a decent extent? I mean it is not exactly theoretical physics. Surely a top boxer can adapt to the circumstances? I understand it counts to an extent but it surely can't be an excuse. A top boxer should be able to deal with any style and opposition body type.
In the 2nd and 3rd rounds up until the Ruiz knockdown it looked exactly like that was what he was doing. But as soon as he did that he went for the kill against a boxer that wasn't in a position to be put away, and Ruiz probably couldn't have believed his luck and he caught him with a couple of easy big counters. It hurt him bad and as a boxer who isn't used to being in such a precarious position so early he handled it poorly and got decked again. Joshua was wise enough in the 4th in that he did what he should, he kept his distance when he punched and boxed as conservatively as a top boxer should. But then he went dumb again and started going inside and Ruiz had every opportunity to chip away at him in the 5th and 6th, and in the 7th he was a gonner.

Joshua didn't lose due to lacking the ability of a top boxer, he lost due to having the brain of a dunce. His positioning was lacklustre for large parts too.

In the 2nd and 3rd rounds up until the Ruiz knockdown it looked exactly like that was what he was doing. But as soon as he did that he went for the kill against a boxer that wasn't in a position to be put away, and Ruiz probably couldn't have believed his luck and he caught him with a couple of easy big counters. It hurt him bad and as a boxer who isn't used to being in such a precarious position so early he handled it poorly and got decked again. Joshua was wise enough in the 4th in that he did what he should, he kept his distance when he punched and boxed as conservatively as a top boxer should. But then he went dumb again and started going inside and Ruiz had every opportunity to chip away at him in the 5th and 6th, and in the 7th he was a gonner.

Joshua didn't lose due to lacking the ability of a top boxer, he lost due to having the brain of a dunce. His positioning was lacklustre for large parts too.
Is that something boxers can ever overcome. Like footballers are either smart or they are not, do boxers learn this often or do they generally stay the same?

Is that something boxers can ever overcome. Like footballers are either smart or they are not, do boxers learn this often or do they generally stay the same?
Well like footballers can play more intelligently if they're coached well, the same is true for boxers (or any sports athlete). Joshua's a bit inexperienced too all things considered. If he uses this as a wake up call it could do him very well. For example if he stops focusing on his giant frame and his public image and gets back to the boxing gym he can recover. He's lost a lot of the slickness he used to have and he's not really built on his technique over the years.

When Canelo lost to Mayweather he started to work more and more on his defensive game and his performance against Jacobs was the apogee of his improvement.

Well like footballers can play more intelligently if they're coached well, the same is true for boxers (or any sports athlete). Joshua's a bit inexperienced too all things considered. If he uses this as a wake up call it could do him very well. For example if he stops focusing on his giant frame and his public image and gets back to the boxing gym he can recover. He's lost a lot of the slickness he used to have and he's not really built on his technique over the years.

When Canelo lost to Mayweather he started to work more and more on his defensive game and his performance against Jacobs was the apogee of his improvement.
Cheers, i only ask because the automatic reference in my head is when you see fighters fuck the tactics off and are ready just to smash fuck out of each other. Was it Morales v Paq where they did that for 3 fights in a row or something? Benn was not averse to throwing it down either if memory serves. The viewers love to see that though so as tactically bad as it is, the excitement level does ramp up.

I suppose that is different though isn't it as a smash up is an unspoken agreement seemingly between both that tactics can get out and it's just war. You think Joshua has lost focus in other aspects which led to him forgetting some of his training in the fight and losing it a bit? Yeah i can see how they would link. The hat certainly fits. If he does not post a Rocky montage of his training now i will be upset. You reckon he will ever sort himself to be a wrecking machine?

I never saw that Canelo fight, it was not advertised well for me, the casual fan. Is it worth downloading or did he just hammer the fella?

Last edited:
Joshua gave up, didn’t have the guts to carry on. He will have lost a lot of fear factor with other fighters now.

Tell you what though, Klitschko said it once and he was right - if you underestimate you’re opponent you’ve lost the fight before even getting in the ring.

Ruiz has over 100 amateur fights and has an excellent professional record. His only defeat has been a split decision against Parker.

AJ assumed he was some fat nobody but you can’t look at that man’s physique and relate it to his fighting record. He’s a seasoned and hard pro who knows how to box.

Not sure if it’ll be the best or worst thing that will happen in AJ’s career. But it’ll be one or the other. It’ll either refocus him and make him concentrate on improving his boxing skills and teach him to learn about his opponent properly before fighting him; or it’ll ruin his career.

How good do you really think he is then fella ? My problem is most people think he is the second coming of Christ because of the hype. It reminds me abit like Ricky Hatton. When he beat Kosta Tzyu who was on the decline a lot of people jumped on the Hatton bandwagon even some actually believing he would beat mayweather and manny pac -man . Don’t get me wrong Hatton was a great fighter but not elite . But the trouble with Joshua is the British public so want him to be the best fighter since Ali that they are blinded by this
That’s definitely right for me. He’s the David Beckham of boxing. Obviously a decent boxer and can do some hugely impressive things but he’s more hype than substance deep down.

What dynamics will change now? I mean in respect of the picking and choosing of fights. Does that loss mean he now loses that power and others have more equal deal rights? Will he have to fight people his managers would not have fought previously? In short, how much does this darken his star?

Also what does this mean in general for the division? Will Wilder and Fury be ranked higher now or? Indeed what is Fury's next step.

Sorry for all the q's, kinda interested in this from a casual fan perspective.
I think he needs a couple fights against the lower rank and learn how to box properly and learn how to focus within a fight properly. Right now I think Fury runs rings around AJ and would tire him out and win on points, I think Wilder would knock him out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.