The Boxing thread

I think Bellew, Froch etc were spot on.

AJ just didn't have that 'fear factor', did he underestimate him? Only he knows. Fair fucks to Ruiz though, can tell what it means.

Reckon AJ will do him at Wembley personally, but who knows.
Here's what I think happened.

Because the fight was made at short notice, AJ's camp hadn't had the time to do their full research and relevant training. On top of that, he almost certainly was getting cocky and probably didn't take things seriously enough.

When he got that first knockdown, the first time Ruiz had been knocked down in his career, he made a mistake. First of all, he couldn't be too sure whether he'd hurt him or just caught him off balance. Secondly, not being prepared enough for Ruiz specifically, he should have said to himself, 'I have 10 and a half more rounds, just keep doing what I'm doing and I'll win easily'.

Instead, maybe with the pressure of this being a showpiece fight and with Wilder's recent 1st round KO, he decided to come inside and go for the kill. Against a shorter height, shorter reach, lightning handspeed guy with a 20st power base who he didn't know much about and whether he was truly hurt. Lo and behold, Ruiz catches him with a great counter, wobbles him and takes him down.

Personally, that first knockdown was brutal enough to set things going against him. He was up against it from there and the damage was done. And the fact he wasn't prepared for how to deal with a guy like Ruiz just made his life really difficult. And the rest was history.

What's disappointing is that in the end Ruiz didn't have to box smart. Joshua just boxed like an idiot.

Because the fight was made at short notice, AJ's camp hadn't had the time to do their full research and relevant training. On top of that, he almost certainly was getting cocky and probably didn't take things seriously enough.

When he got that first knockdown, the first time Ruiz had been knocked down in his career, he made a mistake. First of all, he couldn't be too sure whether he'd hurt him or just caught him off balance. Secondly, not being prepared enough for Ruiz specifically, he should have said to himself, 'I have 10 and a half more rounds, just keep doing what I'm doing and I'll win easily'.

Instead, maybe with the pressure of this being a showpiece fight and with Wilder's recent 1st round KO, he decided to come inside and go for the kill. Against a shorter height, shorter reach, lightning handspeed guy with a 20st power base who he didn't know much about and whether he was truly hurt. Lo and behold, Ruiz catches him with a great counter, wobbles him and takes him down.

Personally, that first knockdown was brutal enough to set things going against him. He was up against it from there and the damage was done. And the fact he wasn't prepared for how to deal with a guy like Ruiz just made his life really difficult. And the rest was history.

What's disappointing is that in the end Ruiz didn't have to box smart. Joshua just boxed like an idiot.
Problem is Joshua is not as good as everyone thinks he is . 2 years ago vlad had him beat but couldn’t finish it . And now Ruiz didn’t just get a lucky shot he broke him down round by round . Joshua is a british hype job end off . Maybe he wins a he rematch but I know one thing he will never fight in the USA for a long time if ever again . Only people that believe the hype of Joshua are part time boxing fans

Problem is Joshua is not as good as everyone thinks he is . 2 years ago vlad had him beat but couldn’t finish it . And now Ruiz didn’t just get a lucky shot he broke him down round by round . Joshua is a british hype job end off . Maybe he wins a he rematch but I know one thing he will never fight in the USA for a long time if ever again . Only people that believe the hype of Joshua are part time boxing fans

Ah right, you put 'end of' so no point debating anything now.

Agree with that mate.

I've just watched the Joshua fight and it looked to me that he gassed he run out of steam simple as that, Its got to be a concern for him, as he's not getting any younger, he is to muscular for me and what I have just seen reminded me so much of Frank Bruno who was known for gassing and carried a similar physique

Ah right, you put 'end of' so no point debating anything now.
How good do you really think he is then fella ? My problem is most people think he is the second coming of Christ because of the hype. It reminds me abit like Ricky Hatton. When he beat Kosta Tzyu who was on the decline a lot of people jumped on the Hatton bandwagon even some actually believing he would beat mayweather and manny pac -man . Don’t get me wrong Hatton was a great fighter but not elite . But the trouble with Joshua is the British public so want him to be the best fighter since Ali that they are blinded by this

Should Joshua, if he is good enough, not be able to weigh the fella up there and then to a decent extent? I mean it is not exactly theoretical physics. Surely a top boxer can adapt to the circumstances? I understand it counts to an extent but it surely can't be an excuse. A top boxer should be able to deal with any style and opposition body type.

Should Joshua, if he is good enough, not be able to weigh the fella up there and then to a decent extent? I mean it is not exactly theoretical physics. Surely a top boxer can adapt to the circumstances? I understand it counts to an extent but it surely can't be an excuse. A top boxer should be able to deal with any style and opposition body type.
Great fighters can adapt to any fighter during a he fight. Joshua is a good fighter but that’s about it . Ruiz didn’t sucker punch him he actually broke him down in virtually every round . The worry for Joshua is that he gassed as early as the 3rd round and that’s a worry

How good do you really think he is then fella ? My problem is most people think he is the second coming of Christ because of the hype. It reminds me abit like Ricky Hatton. When he beat Kosta Tzyu who was on the decline a lot of people jumped on the Hatton bandwagon even some actually believing he would beat mayweather and manny pac -man . Don’t get me wrong Hatton was a great fighter but not elite . But the trouble with Joshua is the British public so want him to be the best fighter since Ali that they are blinded by this

I get that he's been hyped, no doubting that. If you were to build a perfect heavyweight boxer, appearance wise, you wouldnt be far off AJ. That's what ultimately draws the attention to him. I don't think he's dogshit as many people are now making out. I honestly believe he just took Ruiz too lightly and this might be good for him.

Each to their own, Fury is probably the best in the division, ability wise. Do I think AJ can get to that level? Yes I do. I'm by no means an AJ super fan by any means, that's just my opinion and how I see it.

Great fighters can adapt to any fighter during a he fight. Joshua is a good fighter but that’s about it . Ruiz didn’t sucker punch him he actually broke him down in virtually every round . The worry for Joshua is that he gassed as early as the 3rd round and that’s a worry

I don't think I've ever seen anyone view a fight as bad as you have with this one. Joshua was sucker punched because he tried to take him out after knocking him down. Until that point, although he wasn't looking great, he was in full control and had Ruiz hurt. If he'd been patient and stuck to what he was doing he'd have won comfortably. Instead, probably under a lot of pressure with everything going on with Wilder and Fury and fighting in the USA for the first time, he tried to take him out in spectacular fashion. But he's too slow for someone like Ruiz who took his opportunity of hitting AJ clean on the counter on the inside. AJ was concussed and dazed from that point on so anything that happens after that isn't really worth evaluating because until that point Ruiz had barely landed a glove on him. What we know about AJ is once he's hit flush and his legs have gone he loses all his senses and starts dropping his hands and getting hit too easy.

AJ simply doesn't box to his strengths - his size and strength. He's a victim of his own success of blowing people away and entertaining crowds. But as he goes up the levels the opponents get quicker, sharper, stronger and wiser. He has many faults - gassing after going on the attack, low shot resistance, lack of nous once he's been hit, not being patient, not sticking with gameplans etc. But his overall best performances was against parker where he controlled the fight from the middle of the ring from behind his jab. parker is one of the best in the business but he couldn't touch Joshua. If Joshua boxes like that he can reign supreme again but if he fights with the intention to entertain and blast people away he'll lose many more.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.