The Boxing thread

Sorry mate, but your talking rubbish here - Fury is not a 'limited fighter', his ability in the ring is second to none and most good judges/experts say he is going to go down as one of the great heavy weight fighters. Fury did not 'struggle' to finish Wilder off either, he pummelled him for 7 rounds and was completely toying with him.

I'm not sure what fight you were watching.
Fury definitely looks a much more complete fighter than he did in his early years. But that's not uncommon with heavyweights. He is clever and awkward with his movement and has a good chin. He's impressive these days and just champion given the current batch of heavyweights.

I actually did answer it but then edited it to a much shorter reply because it does seem that you've made your mind up anyway. But since you insisted...

Calling AJ chinny is way too far(granted it's not as good as Ruiz Jr's chin but who's is?), would you call Wilder chinny since he's been stopped now? I wouldn't but I knew it wasn't as good as it was hyped up to be. Simply by some of the times he's been rocked before. He was knocked out cold in sparring against Wlad, he was rocked by Molina(who AJ handled no problem) as well Ortiz of course, who came close to stopping him before Fury actually did it, even Breazeale rocked him(another guy who didn't trouble AJ) before the Ortiz rematch. Off topic but did you notice the ref trying to buy Wilder as much time as possible, taking a point off Fury, while telling him off etc? That's twice I've seen that tactic in Wilder fights.

Anyone can get hurt or knocked out in boxing but you can't say chinny when the only people who have rocked AJ, do actually have decent power. That's not how it works. You can't say Whyte doesn't have power, you definitely can't say Wlad doesn't have power(or any man with 53KOs on his record) and he caught him with that straight right that has done the job on so many fighters before(it's better than his left hook for me). He got up, may have been on wobbly legs but who wouldn't be? Povetkin is another known puncher who was landing clean on the inside, he felt them but he was never even rocked in that fight. Ruiz Jr does have power and lightning fast hands, but it was the shots behind the head that did the damage in the 3rd and the 7th, the rest was accumulation of heavy shots, it was never one shot that put him down. In fact in the 7th AJ ate a clean shot on the chin in an exchange and it didn't phase him, which IMO was when Ruiz Jr decided to go back to the punch that did the damage in the 3rd. Smart but dirty.

AJ being predictable is also off the mark because he's beaten too many top ranked guys for that to have any credence. You don't beat all those guys, some very accomplished and experienced guys if you're predictable(AJ hasn't been fighting journeymen his whole career like some). He's a student of the sport, the sweet science if you will. Wilder has shown none of that, he fell in love with that right hand power long ago(10+ years), he barely talks about past boxers, doesn't seem to respect the history etc. I suppose he doesn't have to but it shows the mentality. People draw inspiration off past great boxers, if they are constantly looking to improve.

It doesn't get much more predictable than Wilder, he's looking for one punch the whole fight, the jab is merely a range finder or a deterrent at best for him. AJ definitely has shown that willingness to add more to his game all along, which is why the schooling he gave Ruiz Jr was no surprise to me. I still think he will go back and do a 3rd fight to avenge the stoppage but nobody is in a rush to see that yet. Ruiz Jr hasn't shown much encouragement so far unfortunately, of a willingness to redeem himself, for coming in heavy, then using that as an excuse. Especially when he accurately predicted AJ's fight plan: "he will move around the ring more but we have a plan for that" what plan was that then Andy? IMO coming in heavy was all so he had an excuse. I like him but that was poor and so are some of his fight tactics. He has his strengths but footwork and head movement have never been among them.

Wilder always has a punchers chance but he's nowhere near the boxer AJ is. I don't know if anyone noticed the way AJ was throwing the jab in the Ruiz Jr rematch was very similar to the Kronk jab. It was snapping Ruiz Jrs head back much like Fury's was on Wilder. One of his trainers talked about that after the fight. AJ has shown a better defence than Wilder, who thinks leaning back with a weak guard will be enough to get out of the way of a fighter stepping forward at you. AJ did make similar mistakes in the first Ruiz Jr fight but how much of that was about him not being with it from the end of the 3rd round? The footwork wasn't all new to AJ who was GB olympic trained, they work on all of that, he went back to basics and took it up a gear. AJ doesn't have amazing head movement but it's at least better than Wilder's as is his guard. It's rare a fighter adds head movement later on his career but you never know, wouldn't put it past someone like AJ, very dedicated to say the least.

I will leave it at that, this is why I deleted it the first time around because the post was getting too long. I'm actually happy for Fury and don't feel the need to bash him at this point. I don't get the AJ hate personally but that's just me.
Zzzzz Aj is a media trained overhyped cashcow lauded by the british press ...bit like man u he has cherry picked his way thru his fights and often gets wobbled he fought an old vlad and was given his belt by default from diver charles martin. Nearly lost against D whyte and got battered by tubbs ruiz jr
Hes not in the same class as Fury
And his performance in the US was a pr disaster he doesnt have the mental capacity to deal with Fury and you will see this so called gentleman of the sport crack under the mind games Fury plays.
Hes an ex drug dealer the golden boy gold medalist in which he lost btw but it was the London games so he got it given to him (fixed) and managed very well by another greedy promoter and charlatan in dodgy Hearn.
Aj should not be a contender for Furys
crown he needs to fight Whyte or Usyk even Chissora he wont tho because he avoids these fights
Yes hes got the three belts whoop de doo.
He has capatlised on Furys downfall very well but i dont buy him as a fighter a robotic frank bruno style comes to mind. Hes not clean either look at his weight up n down hmm steds id say yes hes small bloke so much like wilder Hed have to pile it back on to match Fury.
For me Aj is a bit like Wilder who when bullied will go down ....and Fury doesnt need Aj to prove anything...its the fight the Uk wants to see granted.
Fury is levels above them all in my opinion and if the fight does take place he will rightfully claim his belts back this time and nobody can rob him of his true status not the commision or refs, judges.
Cant wait to see him go up and get the SPOTY bbc award in December
AJs loss has demoted his status as the chosen one its Fury who is taking all the limelight from him and rightfully so. All hail the GypsyKing!

Sorry mate, but your talking rubbish here - Fury is not a 'limited fighter', his ability in the ring is second to none and most good judges/experts say he is going to go down as one of the great heavy weight fighters. Fury did not 'struggle' to finish Wilder off either, he pummelled him for 7 rounds and was completely toying with him.

Completely agree. Incredible heavyweight! Personally don't see any heavyweight out there now that would put it up to Fury.
His performance on Saturday was unbelievable, Topped the performance he put in against Klitschko in 2015 when he went over their and embarrassed him.
Unfortunately Wilder will take up the rematch, Sooner the better Fury gets in the ring with Joshua so he can school him and put am end to all this nonsense of Joshua being able to beat him.

I agree he pummeled Wilder for 7 rounds with practically nothing coming back and yet Wilder was still on his feat at the end. Wilder was mentally done by round 3, he could hardly stand up and yet TF couldn't knock him out. You could argue he didn't need to as he was managing his way to a win but that is not the point. Wilder was very very poor a true great heavyweight would have knocked him out instead of wrestling his way to a scrappy win.

Put TF in against some one with a decent jab or ability to counter punch and its a different game. Wilder is a one trick pony and to say TF is a great after beating him is a stretch, his Klitchko fight was way more impressive - a good fighter yes but a lot to do to be a great. Its a shame that AJ fight seems a million miles away as that looks like the only decent test.

yeah don’t think Usyk was a concussive puncher at cruiser so can’t see him putting many top heavyweights away
Think he might have enough freshness and skill to take Chisora on points with late run of rounds as Chisoras age and wars catch up but it will be very interesting early on
Seeing the comparison to Holyfield is far to premature, Holyfield was one of the toughest and mentally strong fighters that has ever been at any weight and what he achieved has only been done once by a cruiser moving up, he’s not the norm

agreed. IO actually feel del boy has gotten better over the last few years. Love to see him win a belt or get the chance to. Although not him against Fury for a 3rd time haha

I agree he pummeled Wilder for 7 rounds with practically nothing coming back and yet Wilder was still on his feat at the end. Wilder was mentally done by round 3, he could hardly stand up and yet TF couldn't knock him out. You could argue he didn't need to as he was managing his way to a win but that is not the point. Wilder was very very poor a true great heavyweight would have knocked him out instead of wrestling his way to a scrappy win.

It was a TKO, so he did knock him out..... The reason that Wilder could "hardly stand up" was because Fury was battering him from pillar to post, you are really not giving Fury anywhere near enough credit here. Had the fight gone on much longer Wilder would have been knocked out and potentially career ending injuries.

Fury also said in the post match that he was disappointed that the fight was ended, because he wanted to continue "punishing" Wilder. Fury is a savage in the ring, it would not surprise me one iota if he didn't want to knock Wilder out, he wanted to make an example of him. Wilder deserved that as well in my opinion, he has made some really low comments about Fury's personal life.

Zzzzz Aj is a media trained overhyped cashcow lauded by the british press ...bit like man u he has cherry picked his way thru his fights and often gets wobbled he fought an old vlad and was given his belt by default from diver charles martin. Nearly lost against D whyte and got battered by tubbs ruiz jr
Hes not in the same class as Fury
And his performance in the US was a pr disaster he doesnt have the mental capacity to deal with Fury and you will see this so called gentleman of the sport crack under the mind games Fury plays.
Hes an ex drug dealer the golden boy gold medalist in which he lost btw but it was the London games so he got it given to him (fixed) and managed very well by another greedy promoter and charlatan in dodgy Hearn.
Aj should not be a contender for Furys
crown he needs to fight Whyte or Usyk even Chissora he wont tho because he avoids these fights
Yes hes got the three belts whoop de doo.
He has capatlised on Furys downfall very well but i dont buy him as a fighter a robotic frank bruno style comes to mind. Hes not clean either look at his weight up n down hmm steds id say yes hes small bloke so much like wilder Hed have to pile it back on to match Fury.
For me Aj is a bit like Wilder who when bullied will go down ....and Fury doesnt need Aj to prove anything...its the fight the Uk wants to see granted.
Fury is levels above them all in my opinion and if the fight does take place he will rightfully claim his belts back this time and nobody can rob him of his true status not the commision or refs, judges.
Cant wait to see him go up and get the SPOTY bbc award in December
AJs loss has demoted his status as the chosen one its Fury who is taking all the limelight from him and rightfully so. All hail the GypsyKing!

Few points off the back of your post;

Who would you have chosen for AJ to fight if he decided not to "cherry-pick"?

The bit about the Olympics is not true, he won, end of. You might think he lost but he was awarded the fight by trained professional judges.

How should AJ not be a contender to fight Fury? He holds 3 of the 4 major belts and has beat every fighter he has faced.

If you think he is genuinely on steroids then you might want to re-evaluate what sports you take an interest in.

Of course Fury needs to fight AJ if he wants to be considered the best. You can't just have a 2-year coke/alcohol binge, beat up a few bums they say "I'm the king" beat the man at the top first.

Nobody really cares about the limelight to be honest. Fury can act like a clown and sing his songs all he wants but it means nothing. In the last 5 years all he has done is drew with and beat an average boxer with a good punch.

Few points off the back of your post;
You can't just have a 2-year coke/alcohol binge, beat up a few bums they say "I'm the king" beat the man at the top first.

Nobody really cares about the limelight to be honest. Fury can act like a clown and sing his songs all he wants but it means nothing. In the last 5 years all he has done is drew with and beat an average boxer with a good punch.

He beat Wilder twice, who regardless of boxing 'ability' was the longest defending champion in history ffs.... That is not an easy fight.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.