The Boxing thread

Agree - i guess my point was those 3 greats were at there best around 85 to 2000. A 15 year span with loads of great fights / fighters. From Lewis retiring to now I can't think of many great heavyweight title fights - and i include all of Tyson Fury's fights in that assessment.
Agree with that

Just seen some slowed down highlights of the Fury Wilder rematch and it shows Fury’s knuckle area of the glove ( the main padded area ) flapping about loose when he was punching and showing how Fury had put his fist where the palm is

it’s doing the rounds so should be able to see it if you like

Just seen some slowed down highlights of the Fury Wilder rematch and it shows Fury’s knuckle area of the glove ( the main padded area ) flapping about loose when he was punching and showing how Fury had put his fist where the palm is

it’s doing the rounds so should be able to see it if you like
Are you sure the footage is from the rematch? I got linked to a video before claiming about this and the footage was from the first fight where Fury had "Pillows for fists"

Are you sure the footage is from the rematch? I got linked to a video before claiming about this and the footage was from the first fight where Fury had "Pillows for fists"
You’re right, I went to look at some more footage and saw Wilder had Black gloves on in rematch and they are Gold on the clip
Must be the first fight

You’re right, I went to look at some more footage and saw Wilder had Black gloves on in rematch and they are Gold on the clip
Must be the first fight
Think its just more sore arse crying from Wilders lot, the ref also checks the gloves when the fighter gets in the ring so it would mean he is part of a conspiracy theory too. But that said it does go on, see Margarito with his plaster cast and even Canelo stacking his wraps. There was a great article about gloves and the padding in boxing news about two weeks ago, it might be online now.

Think its just more sore arse crying from Wilders lot, the ref also checks the gloves when the fighter gets in the ring so it would mean he is part of a conspiracy theory too. But that said it does go on, see Margarito with his plaster cast and even Canelo stacking his wraps. There was a great article about gloves and the padding in boxing news about two weeks ago, it might be online now.

It's an issue that raises it's head a lot. It could easily be put to bed by enforcing tighter rules and controls and having better refs / more transparency etc. But this is Boxing right, none of that will be done. They will carry on muddling along.

The gloves don't even go home with the fighters either, they are approved by the sanctioning bodies and then they keep them before and after the fight as far as I'm aware. This is what Wilder fans are like though, because they don't know what they are talking about, they self destruct with their own arguments, time and time again.

We also have the fact that Wilder is claiming Fury didn't hurt him, his legs were just gone before he got in the ring because of the costume weight, is the excuse they've gone with.

If they wanted to make a conspiracy, it should have been the wraps. However I think these days even those are both inspected before the gloves go on by the commission and handed to them after the fight and placed in sealed bags(certainly stated in the WBC rules). Also both teams overlooked the wraps being done on their opponent before the fight. If the wraps have been overlooked, you can be pretty sure it's a bullshit claim these days(unless it's called out before the fight), after Margarito got caught out. As was the stacking Canelo claim IMO because they were stood watching(needle marks too, bullshit claim), the tape Canelo was using was not plain white either but black and white(that was the only tape seen in the footage) which would make it easy to distinguish between gauze and tape.

Plus most people are unaware, it's not even against Nevada rules because the advantage it gives is not as severe as plaster wraps. I'm pretty sure in Vegas fights, if a team complains, the ref will just ask the wraps to be redone, just so everybody is happy. Lots of fighters have done it but it's easy to spot and it's down to your own team to call it out at the end of the day. That's the one job the guy watching the wraps has. Stacking is less to do with the thickness of the wraps, than it is to do with layering gauze ontop of the surgical tape. The amount of gauze allowed depends on which belt you are fighting for, it can range from 10-20 yards, with typically 8 feet of tape allowed. Using the full amount is not deemed necessary by most experts(they permit more than you need), a thicker wrap would be more of a choice of extra protection(for a damaged part of the hand) than to give any advantage.

Last edited:
The gloves don't even go home with the fighters either, they are approved by the sanctioning bodies and then they keep them before and after the fight as far as I'm aware. This is what Wilder fans are like though, because they don't know what they are talking about, they self destruct with their own arguments, time and time again.

We also have the fact that Wilder is claiming Fury didn't hurt him, his legs were just gone before he got in the ring because of the costume weight, is the excuse they've gone with.

If they wanted to make a conspiracy, it should have been the wraps, which the fighters do get to keep. However both teams overlooked the wraps being done on their opponent before the fight. If the wraps have been overlooked, you can be pretty sure it's a bullshit claim these days(unless it's called out before the fight, instead of an excuse after), after Margarito got caught out. As was the stacking Canelo claim IMO because they were stood watching(needle marks too, bullshit claim by sore losers), plus most are unaware, it's not even against Nevada rules anyway because the advantage it gives is nothing like plaster wraps. Lots of fighters have done it but it's easy to spot and it's down to your own team to call it out at the end of the day, if you think it's that much of an advantage(I suppose it would have to be in the contract for Vegas fights). That's the one job the guy watching the wraps has. Stacking is less to do with the thickness of the wraps, than it is to do with layering gauze ontop of the surgical tape.

Regarding the gloves, years ago Billy Collins fought a kid called Luis Resto. Collins got busted up bad, at the end of the fight his corner checked Restos gloves and realised his team had removed padding so he was landing concrete punches. Think he was banned for some time.

Theres a clip of Freddie Rosch setting his stall out before doing the wraps, cant remember the fighter but an interesting watch.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.