The Boxing thread

What about the legend that is Richard Dunn? Joe Bugner? Our 'enry? Big Frank?

Possibly not being totally serious here!
None if the above could punch like those we just discussed. I watched the highlights of the Thrilla in Manilla on the Ali series last night. I used to have that fight on VHS and have seen it about half a dozen times the past 40 odd years. It's a remarkable fight and testament to the strength, endurance and determination of both fighters. As Ali said him and Frasier left that ring old men. Surely one of, if not the most brutal heavyweight fights of all time.

None if the above could punch like those we just discussed. I watched the highlights of the Thrilla in Manilla on the Ali series last night. I used to have that fight on VHS and have seen it about half a dozen times the past 40 odd years. It's a remarkable fight and testament to the strength, endurance and determination of both fighters. As Ali said him and Frasier left that ring old men. Surely one of, if not the most brutal heavyweight fights of all time.
Not sure Frasier ever got all the credit he deserved. He was one mean "fighter". His problem was that he was around in the same era as the ultimate "boxer", Ali.

Not sure Frasier ever got all the credit he deserved. He was one mean "fighter". His problem was that he was around in the same era as the ultimate "boxer", Ali.
It was a golden age for heavyweights, just like the 80s were for welter and middle weights with the four Kings. Duran, Leonard, Hagler and Hearns.

he won the first fight with Ali but he was never the same fighter after that

Comparing eras is almost impossible, especially because of the size difference. I suspect Tyson would be very difficult to beat in any era because of his skill, intelligence, and his sheer size. We will never know but the same debate has occurred for a hundred years, from Jack Johnson, Dempsey, Sam Langford, through Marciano, Louis, Ali, Tyson, and onward.

Ali, Spinks (x2), Norton, Frazier, Holmes, Foreman. There were some serious big guys back then. Even the ones that you might look back on as duds back in that era were arguably better boxers than most of what's round today. Fury isn't bad (I wouldn't queue jump in front of him at the local Lidl, put it that way). But he's nowhere near the class of some of those guys I named.
I agree that with he current crop are not as good as the 70s brigade even shavers and quarry would trouble a lot now . I do think usyk is a very special talent though . My fave is still Tyson just for the raw aggression which he showed under cus d Amato and then Kevin Rooney but then don king got involved and it soon went south . He would have been the greatest ever .

What about the legend that is Richard Dunn? Joe Bugner? Our 'enry? Big Frank?

Possibly not being totally serious here!
Think joe bugner killed someone with his punching power when he was young so he never really became the aggressive fighter he could have been . He was a Magyar aswell .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.