The Boxing thread

AJ is finished, Ruiz and Usyk, are not and never will be great heavyweight's. Losing to those 2 should dispel the myth. Fury will KO him if they ever fight. Fury would easily outclass Ruiz, and would bully Usyk if he was ever got to fight those 2, neither would go the distance.

AJ is finished, Ruiz and Usyk, are not and never will be great heavyweight's. Losing to those 2 should dispel the myth. Fury will KO him if they ever fight. Fury would easily outclass Ruiz, and would bully Usyk if he was ever got to fight those 2, neither would go the distance.
He is still in his prime, he will almost certainly win a version of the title back at some stage if he is motivated enough. Not an AJ fan but he has plenty left.

He is still in his prime, he will almost certainly win a version of the title back at some stage if he is motivated enough. Not an AJ fan but he has plenty left.
True. He does and he’ll still get several big pay days. But he’d have been utterly mullered by the true heavyweight greats. Late ‘60s to mid ‘70s he’d have faced Ali Foreman, Frazier, Shavers, and early Holmes. Plus several others who were/ are several notches above Joshua. Fair play to him, he’s made a fortune; he’s got in the ring, but he’s not a stellar boxer for me.

Just watching Lennox Lewis - The Untold Truth

That fight where they awarded Hollyfield the win after Lennox battered fuck out of him was the final straw for me.
I loved boxing, watched all the fights and then that happened.

Unless he changes his trainer he's finished. There were so many things wrong with the game plan, its unreal. AJ, the bigger man loses weight and, tried to outbox a far superior boxer, madness! Not once during the fight did AJ try and use his physicallaty. Not once during the fight did AJ grapple or maul, lean on his opponent and use his strength, no fighting instinct, just gentleman's rules, where were the punches into the ribs, and to the side of the head up close? It never happened once, fact. This is basic stuff in the heavyweight division, where you can have a serious weight advantage. AJ can box, but he can't fight. Imagine Fury vs Usyk? Fury will cut off the ring, bully him and knock him out. Anyone who believes AJ is a top heavyweight at this stage, especially with this team behind him is deluded.

True. He does and he’ll still get several big pay days. But he’d have been utterly mullered by the true heavyweight greats. Late ‘60s to mid ‘70s he’d have faced Ali Foreman, Frazier, Shavers, and early Holmes. Plus several others who were/ are several notches above Joshua. Fair play to him, he’s made a fortune; he’s got in the ring, but he’s not a stellar boxer for me.
He never was. Watching AJ’s Olympic performances suggested he could be a World Champ but he didn’t have the movement and speed to be a boxing great. Credit to AJ on having a successful career because he’s fairly limited. If anything, AJ has exceeded my expectations. It was only the first Ruiz fight where he performed below his abilities IMHO.

I think Joshua's issue is that he is most certainly trying to show more boxing skill and craft when he just doesn't have it. Against Klitschko he got picked off but then came back and landed his own blows which won him the fight.

Against Ruiz it was fairly similar. He got caught and was rattled but then landed his own and went in for the kill before being picked off again and lost. In the rematch he was fully focussed on not getting hit and looking to use his superior fitness to win on points. It was a smarter strategy for that fight.

Usyk was always going to be hard to beat over 12 rounds. Joshua should have looked to be more aggressive because the weight difference meant in pure punching power he could have probably worn a fair few hits whilst going for the knockout.

I think he can win the rematch if he goes with that strategy, but Fury is on a different planet to Joshua for boxing ability. Anyone can score a lucky shot though and stranger things have happened. It would still be good to see it but a lot less interesting than if all the belts were on the line.
I think everyone agrees Joshua will have to throw more, land more and catch him with bigger and better shots in the rematch. But that's his problem. He just, just made it to 12 rounds this time around. If he throws 10% more punches with 50% more commitment and aggression he has to get Usyk out of there within 7/8 rounds or he's done.

It's alright launching attacks on Kltschko, Whyte, Fury etc because they're all in the same boat stamina wise but it's a lot harder to do with Usyk.

I respect AJ for trying to be a boxer, he's only doing what most of the hw greats have done through time - look at Lewis and Klitschko. He is a much better boxer now than he was 3 years ago but of course he's still miles off the skills of Usyk, that's just common sense.

Anyone saying he's finished are just daft.

Just watching Lennox Lewis - The Untold Truth

That fight where they awarded Hollyfield the win after Lennox battered fuck out of him was the final straw for me.
I loved boxing, watched all the fights and then that happened.
Holyfield was never awarded the win...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.