The British Monarchy

Aye, good luck with all that! If you’re so sure on where the UK is heading, I wouldn’t be pinning my hopes on independence being the cure. And seeing as you’d still be in a predominantly pro-monarchy country, I don’t see a way to get to your desire for PR.

Part of me wants to see what would happen though, especially after observing the two factions on display at Ibrox and Celtic Park. Seems a lot more passion about it up there.

Why would a pro monarchy country not also be in favour of pr? Plenty of democracies with a constitutional monarch have pr, or at least a format of it.

Aye, good luck with all that! If you’re so sure on where the UK is heading, I wouldn’t be pinning my hopes on independence being the cure. And seeing as you’d still be in a predominantly pro-monarchy country, I don’t see a way to get to your desire for PR.

Part of me wants to see what would happen though, especially after observing the two factions on display at Ibrox and Celtic Park. Seems a lot more passion about it up there.
Scotland already has a form of PR.

Would you like people publicly slagging your mum when she dies. The answer to that question is clearly no. You would want them to pay respect or at the very minimum stay silent, why is that so hard for you and others to do?

The death of the monarch is also when the title of Head of State is passed to someone else via the hereditary principle. Many people object to the idea of hereditary rule, so the moment of it being enacted is the exact time when you should be objecting.

The funeral of the Monarch is also a constitutional and State affair, it is not a private funeral for elderly lady who passed. Again, if you object to a constitutional monarchy as part of the system of Govt, then it is a legitimate time to protest.

The objections and protests do not have to be personal. There is no need, or mileage in criticising the Queen as a person. She is as much bound by the constitutional rules as we are. But criticism of the system of constitutional monarchy is, and should be permissible, especially at the point of transfer of power (such as it is).

Would you like people publicly slagging your mum when she dies. The answer to that question is clearly no. You would want them to pay respect or at the very minimum stay silent, why is that so hard for you and others to do?

It's funny, I don't remember many comments about paying respect or staying silent "at the very minimum" in this thread.

It's the irrational, emotional issue. It isn't rational to enjoy watching 22 men kick a ball around, but we have an emotional attachment to City, just as many do to the monarchy. The difference is, City are not part of the state.

Similarly, people have emotional attachments to old steam engines, sailing ships, church architecture and all sorts of obscure things. We are not pure creatures of logic and rationality.
Not part of the British state ;-)
(I've spent too much time reading shit on RAWK!!)

Not quite sure what the connection is between PR and the monarchy or between independence and the monarchy. Between the union of the crowns in 1603 and the creation of the United Kingdom in 1707, England and Scotland were two countries with a single monarch. Independence for Scotland would go back to that model as the SNP have no plans for forming a republic.
As for PR, it's even less relevant to the monarchy.

We already have PR in Scottish parliament.
Can’t see it heading any other way. Can you?

How do you feel about Wilfried Bony? Are you waiting for the call to go to his funeral?

Of course you aren’t. He was rubbish and no longer plays for us.

You can’t transfer the monarchy. They don’t really do very much nowadays, but people still enjoy the pomp and ceremony. That’s pretty much it.

If/when Charles starts chatting politics/climate change, it’ll be seconds before he’s told to “stick to being king”.

If you shout at your wife because City have lost, that doesn’t make you a bigger blue, it makes you somebody who can’t control their emotions very well.

I‘m not sure I’ve ever done that, but have said on occasion that we have lost contentiously, can you give me 10 minutes to process my annoyance please.

The royal family will never evoke such emotions. VAR have never changed the outcome of a royal occasion, they very rarely score own goals, noncing aside.

People love watching the pomp, I doubt many under 60 have a royal teatowel.
RIP Wilfried.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.