The British Monarchy

Having read the transcript of the Hussey interaction, at the very least it shows a lack of awareness and / or a desire to make a supposed guest uncomfortable. The content, asking repeatedly where someone is from because they are not white, clearly shows that Hussey was, at least on this occasion and that is all we can judge, being racist.

She didn't just enquire about her heritage. She asked repeatedly, batting away replies that didn't satisfy, to the point where even from the written word you can easily see how uncomfortable the guest was being made. Even if we accept that Hussey was clumsily just trying get to the bottom of where her ancestors came from (and she'd already been told re Africa: they didn't exactly leave records), why? Why does Hussey need to know? I mean, we all probably came from Africa at one point so what's the relevance or necessity of needing to know her origins? The answer is power, supremacy, the old 'i'm better than you because I'm money/educated/good stock, and I can show it'. She was lording it over a black person, precisely because she was black, and got called out for it.

Hussey's comment "Well you must know where you're from..I spent some time in France" would be laughable if it wasn't so belittling. She was also given a very good hint right at the very start when asking where she was from, with the reply being the charity's name, that the focus of the night is charity and should have been positivity.

That's not to say Hussey hates non whites, but clearly she denotes skin colour as a differentiating factor between who is truly British and who is not.

Is the whole palace racist? Who can say. Clearly there is a culture there where the above attitudes are or have been unchallenged and left to fester. Only Buckingham Palace could answer that, and there is not a chance they'd admit it is a bigger problem regardless, so the actual size of the issue will remain hidden.

How do you come to that conclusion?

Is it because she asked of her heritage? I don't know the mindset of Susan Hussey but normally people of colour are proud of their history and heritage and are generally proud to tell the people of this country about their background and the struggles of their forbearers, so why take this opportunity to try and exploit a situation which, in a more mature environment, would have been treated as nosiness at worst?
Because she asked where are you from? Where are you originally from? What is your nationality? After answering already she was British. The daft old woman should’ve left it once she got the initial answer

I agree with this especially they bullying and racist references, at best as you say it is an out of touch lady... but racism? Really?
100% racist. Would she have queried someone else's heritage with such persistence?

Was amazed at those words. Even inveterate racists that I know would be fully aware what was said was a big no no. I’m genuinely amazed that someone who’s performed that relatively public role, would say such thing in this day and age, whatever their private thoughts.

I expect she probably is a bit racist. Don’t think it’s correct to say the recipient was ‘abused’ though. Didn’t pick any malice up in what was said, and surely there has to be malice present for abuse to take place.

Just a daft, out of touch posh, elderly racist. Wonder how she voted in the referendum…

Exactly. Tactless at best , but should still have known that if she kept pushing it, as reported , then it was bloody clear that she had crossed the line.

I have absolutely no doubt how she had voted.

I am in no doubt whatsoever how she voted.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.