The British Monarchy

For me this old lady has not been offensive. She has been misjudged but not meant to be offensive.

If an 83 year old war hero in a care home had said the same thing to Diane Abbott, would there be the same outrage?

no there wouldn't be!

No there would not have been but that would be about it being Abbott rather than anything else. FFS she had a can on a train and was pilloried in the press. The R/W press at first went with this as a good news story because " the Palace acted quickly" then realised what they were doing and back tracked. The best they had was she is 83 as an excuse.

Is it ok to be racist as long as you are old and don't mean to offend? What about anti-semitism? Is there an age when that's ok of when its just to be taken as bants? Maybe if she was lesbian it would have been ok to ask about her sexuality because she was 83 ?

The lady in question is said to have something like 60 years in post. Over that time there has been loads of scandals and loads of stories - Prince Phillip was a prime example - where offensive statements were made. She had plenty of learning opportunities and didn't learn from them. Age is no excuse in fact it makes it worse because you have the experience of life to see how life and opinion changes.

No there would not have been but that would be about it being Abbott rather than anything else. FFS she had a can on a train and was pilloried in the press. The R/W press at first went with this as a good news story because " the Palace acted quickly" then realised what they were doing and back tracked. The best they had was she is 83 as an excuse.

Is it ok to be racist as long as you are old and don't mean to offend? What about anti-semitism? Is there an age when that's ok of when its just to be taken as bants? Maybe if she was lesbian it would have been ok to ask about her sexuality because she was 83 ?

The lady in question is said to have something like 60 years in post. Over that time there has been loads of scandals and loads of stories - Prince Phillip was a prime example - where offensive statements were made. She had plenty of learning opportunities and didn't learn from them. Age is no excuse in fact it makes it worse because you have the experience of life to see how life and opinion changes.
Fair enough mate, it just doesn't offend me what she said. (I've got a mixed raced
dad from Salford and I grew up there as a blue there in the 80's/90's), so I've obviously heard my fair shit of racism. believe me that old woman is not racist!

For me this old lady has not been offensive. Her comment was wrong, but in no way meant to be offensive.

If an 83 year old war hero in a care home had said the same thing to Diane Abbott, would there be the same outrage?

no there wouldn't be!
If she had asked….. “where were your family originally from?”
Would there be a problem from all the media?

Or you could focus on all the lives that the Duke of Edinburgh helped to transform through the Duke of Edinburgh awards. Most peole can be good and bad.

This 83 year old woman might be loathsome or she might be a decent person who was targeted for political capital. We don’t know.

We can always generalise. For example, a mate of mine likes to call a lot of people racist and supports Russia in the war in UKraine.

From 4,000 miles away, it would appear Britain has SIGNIFICANTLY greater problems than an old lady asking another lady dressed in a fairly exotic outfit where she’s from. Indeed, when she goes on to ask “where are your people from?” isn’t the old lady making clear what she’s asking?

If this is now “racism,” the plot is lost, and I never want to EVER hear another person say they are some hyphenated nationality! No more Irish Americans, African Americans, Anglo Americans!

And, while we are at it, do we now get to demand that anyone identifying as British has to speak the King’s English at all times?

Where does it end?

The old lady was asking a simple question: “You look like you’re probably originally from Africa. Your skin colour, your hairstyle, your outfit are all screaming that to me. Where in Africa are you or your family from?”

“Oh no, I’m British! I was born here!”

Too bad the old dear didn’t snapback with…

“100% British, eh? So, then what’s with all this ‘cultural appropriation’ you’ve got going on, then?”

Faux outrage is the new National Pastime…that and turning what’s left of brains into mush by complete immersion in non-reality “Reality TV!”

From 4,000 miles away, it would appear Britain has SIGNIFICANTLY greater problems than an old lady asking another lady dressed in a fairly exotic outfit where she’s from. Indeed, when she goes on to ask “where are your people from?” isn’t the old lady making clear what she’s asking?

If this is now “racism,” the plot is lost, and I never want to EVER hear another person say they are some hyphenated nationality! No more Irish Americans, African Americans, Anglo Americans!

And, while we are at it, do we now get to demand that anyone identifying as British has to speak the King’s English at all times?

Where does it end?

The old lady was asking a simple question: “You look like you’re probably originally from Africa. Your skin colour, your hairstyle, your outfit are all screaming that to me. Where in Africa are you or your family from?”

“Oh no, I’m British! I was born here!”

Too bad the old dear didn’t snapback with…

“100% British, eh? So, then what’s with all this ‘cultural appropriation’ you’ve got going on, then?”

Faux outrage is the new National Pastime…that and turning what’s left of brains into mush by complete immersion in non-reality “Reality TV!”
I think we are struggling with our colonial past here at the same time as worries about being 'invaded' by immigrants. The result is we are a basket case of a nation bouncing between self-flagelation/guilt and xenophobia. The simple truth is that any European country or institution over 200 years old will probably have a few shady skeletons in the cupboard.

Over here, because of my accent, people ask me all the time where I'm from. Not content with the town I live as an answer, they ask again, where, which country and where in the country?

My wife the same, once they know that her parents came over from Germany, they want to know where in Germany.

Why is this any different to Lady Whatsername enquiring where this womans people were from? Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya? Perhaps with her travels with the Queen, she had some personal knowledge and interest in African countries. Much like many do here with their questioning of me, because they still have family in the UK or had family move over. Perhaps they were familiar with the country from a vacation or have had their kids study/work there.

I'm annoyed with the palace and their pandering response to this.

Where is the racism in asking where a persons family are from during polite conversation? How the hell do these people manage at something like a wedding with a table of strangers, do they not talk to each other?

Should I be offended when people ask me?

Perhaps I'm just far too tolerant and don't have a misguided agenda in life.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.