The British Monarchy

Of course, and if the answer is Hackney, you accept that.

Continually asking someone who is British and was born in this country "where they are from" until finally you decide that they're "from" another country, is where the lack of sensitivity comes in.
What if you are genuinely interested in where their heritage / culture is from? You know ....like if they are dressed in that cultural dress?

As I lay in bed last night thinking of nothing as one does before going to sleep a conversation I had in Washington DC as I queued with others to visit some building or other came back to me...
Lady in queue to me: (after some innocuous remarks) Where are you from?
Me: England.
Lady: Oh which state is that?
Me: None it's Britain. (note no Great just Britain)
Lady: Mmmm, is that a Northern State then?
Me: No it's in Europe (we were still there at the time)
Lady: Ohhhhhh so you need a passport to come here.
We then went on to discuss the fact that it was her first time outside one of the states, can't remember which one, and other things. But I didn't think she was racist because she had never heard of Britain...... was I naive? ;-)

As I lay in bed last night thinking of nothing as one does before going to sleep a conversation I had in Washington DC as I queued with others to visit some building or other came back to me...
Lady in queue to me: (after some innocuous remarks) Where are you from?
Me: England.
Lady: Oh which state is that?
Me: None it's Britain. (note no Great just Britain)
Lady: Mmmm, is that a Northern State then?
Me: No it's in Europe (we were still there at the time)
Lady: Ohhhhhh so you need a passport to come here.
We then went on to discuss the fact that it was her first time outside one of the states, can't remember which one, and other things. But I didn't think she was racist because she had never heard of Britain...... was I naive? ;-)
She was just a bit thick ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.