The British Monarchy

It’s usually the rhetoric used by right leaning thinkers whenever similar topics are being discussed on here.
The original discussion is replaced by whataboutism that ends up diluting the conversation.
You thinking there’s no way a charity could be set up to help only vulnerable white woman is right out of the Farage textbook.
You believing that and being a school governor is to me more concerning than an 80 odd year old woman being a bit behind the times.
Hope that helps.
I was a school governor, but am no longer. I have never behaved in a racist way and considered everybody equal. I’m have had three experiences of serious racist incidents in my life. The first was when I intervened at great personal risk to prevent a waiter in an Indian restaurant from being assaulted by 5 white guys from London. The other two were when I was threatened at knife point by a group of black youths. I hate racism.
My school governor experience led me to believe it must be wrong to target help to a specific group. It must be considered sexist and racist to provide help for white boys. It wasn’t because they were white, or boys, that I wanted to help them. It was because the group was clearly disadvantaged.
I have colleagues and friends from African, South Asian and East Asian heritage and enjoy their company. I just see people.
I thought Lady Hussey was not necessarily wrong to ask the original question of a lady in traditional African dress, but the continued questioning and tone was disgusting. I do believe Ngozi knew what she was doing though and has anti royal form.
Incidents like this get blown in to massive and divisive issues when there are far more serious racist incidents going relatively unnoticed.

One thing I won’t accept is aspersions on my character. I have my own, lived, experience and have never treated anyone badly or guided anyone to do the same. I did great work as a governor helping take one school, as chair, in a deprived area of Wigan up to outstanding rating. Please don’t question my suitability as a governor.

Oh, TH, that's possibly the least honest description of events I’ve seen?

She didn't "ask a genuine question" she asked successively -

1 “Where are you from?”
2 “No where do you come from?
3 “No, what part of Africa are YOU from?”
4 “Well, you must know where you’re from, I spent time in France. Where are you from?”
5 “No, but what nationality are you?”
6 “No, but where do you really come from, where do your people come from?”
7 “Oh I can see I am going to have a challenge getting you to say where you’re from. When did you first come here?”
8 “Oh, I knew we’d get there in the end, you’re Caribbean?”

Now, I dont care if you think it's racist or not, by the 4th time of asking, it stops being polite and starts being an interrogation.

The 7th question - "where did you first come here?" is after she's been told twice that the other woman was born in London, and the tone of it shows it's no longer polite conversation but demanding.
Is that a genuine transcript from a witness to the conversation?

Oh, TH, that's possibly the least honest description of events I’ve seen?

She didn't "ask a genuine question" she asked successively -

1 “Where are you from?”
2 “No where do you come from?
3 “No, what part of Africa are YOU from?”
4 “Well, you must know where you’re from, I spent time in France. Where are you from?”
5 “No, but what nationality are you?”
6 “No, but where do you really come from, where do your people come from?”
7 “Oh I can see I am going to have a challenge getting you to say where you’re from. When did you first come here?”
8 “Oh, I knew we’d get there in the end, you’re Caribbean?”

Now, I dont care if you think it's racist or not, by the 4th time of asking, it stops being polite and starts being an interrogation.

The 7th question - "where did you first come here?" is after she's been told twice that the other woman was born in London, and the tone of it shows it's no longer polite conversation but demanding.
That conversation is pretty damning if true.
As far as I'm aware it's not been denied.
Also it's alleged that she moved Fulani's hair to one side so that she could see her name badge, which would make it even worse.
As I understand it Hussey attended this function as a representative of the Crown and therefore should be aware fully of the nature and responsibility of the role. Excuses being made by others on account of her age and background (i.e ' she lived through the war') are therefore IMO not relevant.

These days, if you are in any sort of public-facing role, you need to be extremely conscious of the current thinking on race, which is not what it was in 1956, or even in 2000. That is why I would advocate for anyone in such a role to go on a race awareness course.

It is extremely easy to give offence without meaning to do so. The world has changed so very much.

Having said that, I should mention the ancient English custom called pigeonholing. That is, you ask a series of intrusive and impertinent questions so that you can work out where someone stands on the class ladder.
E.g.
Which school?
Which uni?
What kind of house do you live in?
What job do you do?
What car do you drive?

This may be no more than a variant of the custom. Most people who have attended any sort of gathering with strangers will have faced this sort of thing. Although often, with we northerners, it does not go far, because as soon as they hear your accent they assume you live in a terraced house, own a whippet, and went to a secondary modern.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.