The British Monarchy

Queen Dowager is the correct answer. 'Dowager' means a woman in receipt of dower. Traditionally, widowed women received one-third of their husband's lands in dower to keep them going in widowhood. More modern arrangements now apply.

(BTW, this is why women (usually) came with dowries back in the day. They were literally endowed in return. It was not, as so many think, a degrading custom. It was more like life insurance.)

Queen Dowager is the correct answer. 'Dowager' means a woman in receipt of dower. Traditionally, widowed women received one-third of their husband's lands in dower to keep them going in widowhood. More modern arrangements now apply.

(BTW, this is why women (usually) came with dowries back in the day. They were literally endowed in return. It was not, as so many think, a degrading custom. It was more like life insurance.)
I should have known that from my Lord Peter Wimsey novels!

Does the Dowager bit not come before the Queen bit as urban genie suggests. So Dowager Queen?

I'm pretty sure the correct title is Queen Dowager, but Dowager Queen is just another way of putting it. When it comes down to it, it may not be used as women tend not to like the term 'dowager' these days as it sounds ancient. The alternative form for a widowed duchess, for example, is (e.g.) Elizabeth, Duchess of Norfolk. It would not surprise me if they just called her 'Queen Camilla' for example. She simply would not be 'the Queen' anymore, which strictly she is now.

This is pretty obscure stuff! But it's always useful to know as you never know who you will be inviting to a party.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.