The British Monarchy

Ryan proving the empty seat theory wrong on Twitter beat us on the pitch not on the pitchers

I was rather assuming that once the monarchy had gone, a Republican House would abolish titles etc. How could they not given the upheaval that removal of the monarchy would need since they can’t be legislated out or existence. One of the reasons for politicians being predominantly upper class is the existence of the monarchy.
None of that is guaranteed not all politicians are upper class, bringing the discussion down to a working class family there is nothing stopping us becoming a politician and working our way up. The GCSE results are out today and all those 9 * some will make it to the top with determination and dedication.
A few of those that fail will make it in their chosen field, that’s what is good about knowing the system we already have in place. Why thousands of people risk there lives crossing the channel in a dinghy every day to take on opportunities in these islands

Noting my examples of aristocratic titles still existing in a number of European countries that are republics, it would seem that isn't a safe assumption. Also, as I was saying before, getting rid of the monarchy doesn't get rid of rich, posh people who went to Eton so why would the politicians change? A large proportion of the French political class or civil service went to the École Nationale and they haven't had a monarch for a very long time.

Class divisions are a feature of pretty much everywhere. Ours is just a different manifestation of it - with more bling.

Neither the French or Italian states recognise the titles of their former nobility. Unlike their British counterparts they have no legal status and thus enjoy no legal privileges.

:) Fair enough. I am old like you, but I think you are understating the pace of technological change and the effects it is going to have on society in the next couple of generations. I doubt pre-technological revolution measures like "who owns what land?" are going to be as important as questions like "how can we produce as much as possible (or even, just enough) on the land?". When questions become existential, change will follow. Whether that means abolishing the monarchy and all the accoutrements that seem to upset you so much, we will have to wait and see. I will be dead, of course. So I don't care :)
Being dead is no excuse.

Might need to try that again.

You're mixing up James II with his grandfather James I.

And it passed to George I, James the first's great-grandson.
Isn’t he the German guy who didn’t speak English. Needed an interpreter to know what parliament were talking about.
But he was Protestant so parliament thought, ‘He’ll do’.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.