The British Monarchy

I think they’d be absolutely awful.

They would be different. People forget, but the Queen reinvented the concept of the Royal Family for the TV age. When she came to the throne, few families had TV sets so the family had to be recast to suit the medium as the medium exploded. They become more accessible, a nuclear modern family, but royal.

The Queen is a TV role, from young mother, to wicked witch (Diana) to venerable figure etc.

The next Royal head of state will have to make a mark. Charles is the weird Uncle Fester, William is the prematurely balding, old fogey before his time. What they need is someone people under thirty can relate to and recognise, a modern man with a modern wife, otherwise it will whither into irrelevancy.

Look at the posters on here who hate the idea, most of whom will be over sixty. Says it all really :)

They would be different. People forget, but the Queen reinvented the concept of the Royal Family for the TV age. When she came to the throne, few families had TV sets so the family had to be recast to suit the medium as the medium exploded. They become more accessible, a nuclear modern family, but royal.

The Queen is a TV role, from young mother, to wicked witch (Diana) to venerable figure etc.

The next Royal head of state will have to make a mark. Charles is the weird Uncle Fester, William is the prematurely balding, old fogey before his time. What they need is someone people under thirty can relate to and recognise, a modern man with a modern wife, otherwise it will whither into irrelevancy.

Look at the posters on here who hate the idea, most of whom will be over sixty. Says it all really :)

you gov - Meghan popularity rating last week 26 percent. She is not liked and nor is he by the huge majority and anyway as much chance of me being king than her or William. Hope the Queen lives a few more years. Is looking tired though.

A modern man with a modern wife! Ok!

Let's face it Bob, the only people who would like to see Harry and Megan on the throne are the same ones that would like to see the end of the monarchy. That in itself says it all about that idea.

The yardstick for being a good king is more hair and not being sensible. As you say, anti-monarchists trying to pick the next regent is a pointless exercise devised by people with unrealistic unpopular opinions.

The yardstick for being a good king is more hair and not being sensible. As you say, anti-monarchists trying to pick the next regent is a pointless exercise devised by people with unrealistic unpopular opinions.
I suspect succession is set in stone and if anyone is expecting it to come down to a poll on Twitter or glueing themselves to the M25 in protest I suspect they'll be disappointed.

Whatever your thoughts about the current monarch and the monarchy, it will be a major event when she does go. A lot of points during the last 120 years have been described as 'the sun setting on the empire' but I think this may be in many ways the end as the current queen really is the commonwealth. As far as the future of the monarchy goes I suspect these will be tough times akin to the departure of Wenger from arsenal or the GPC from the rags. End of an era - like her or not the queen has been a constant for pretty much anyone under 80.

A modern man with a modern wife! Ok!

Yes. A couple who know how to use and work the media for example. They also look like a modern couple. A diverse couple, more relatable to a wider base. More representative of today’s society.

The Royal Family is a paid position that needs public support for it to continue. Ignoring demographic trends and shifts is not smart. Can William and Kate do that? They look like a couple that have had all life and vitality ironed out of them.

It‘s moot anyway. Charles will be King, then William thereafter. Assuming the institution survives.

you gov - Meghan popularity rating last week 26 percent. She is not liked and nor is he by the huge majority and anyway as much chance of me being king than her or William. Hope the Queen lives a few more years. Is looking tired though.

26 per cent? After the press she gets? Solid numbers on which to base a comeback.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.