The Celtic Thread (Merged)

Yeah well, you can't field ineligible players.

The shock for me is that Legia somehow didn't know, and then put him on stupidly with the two legs already decided.

Blue Haze said:

The shock for me is that Legia somehow didn't know, and then put him on stupidly with the two legs already decided.
Not really, they had a player banned for three games, they played him 3 games later, it wasn't an outlandish thought to think he had served his suspension. It's just a technicality that his suspension didn't count for the first two games as they hadn't bothered registering him for the first qualifying phase (as he was suspended, so they didn't see the point). That's beyond unlucky, I'd imagine most of us would of assumed he was fine to play.

Totally shocked at this decision tbh.
Celtic don't deserve this,well screwed over 2 games.
But it's not their fault,Legia broke the rules and someone at the club wants their arse kicked for not noticing this.
As for the ban,I think it's very harsh,a large fine would have been enough.
Question is,who grassed to UEFA ?
Don't think there's anything corrupt going on, but with UEFA.....
Lastly, IF Celtic make the group stages,I truly fear for them.(especially if City get them) :)

This is so wrong.

And to think that a club gets fined just a few thousand euros for racist behaviour?????????????????????????????????.

BigOscar said:
Blue Haze said:

Not really, they had a player banned for three games, they played him 3 games later, it wasn't an outlandish thought to think he had served his suspension. It's just a technicality that his suspension didn't count for the first two games as they hadn't bothered registering him for the first qualifying phase (as he was suspended, so they didn't see the point). That's beyond unlucky, I'd imagine most of us would of assumed he was fine to play.

It might be a shock to us as fans because most of us have never looked at the registration rules.

I'd like to know who filled out that registration. Surely he knew they couldn't dodge a suspension by de-registering a player. Has he ever read the rules?

This is harsh in the extreme. They didn't purposely field an ineligible player who went on to win them the game they thought the player had served his suspension when he hadn't and he played what 3 minutes? Sometimes common sense has to come into play. A fine would have been punishment enough but to kick them out of the competition? Another UEFA masterclass. What a joke of an organisation.

Blue Haze said:
BigOscar said:
Blue Haze said:

It might be a shock to us as fans because most of us have never looked at the registration rules.

I'd like to know who filled out that registration. Surely he knew they couldn't dodge a suspension by de-registering a player. Has he ever read the rules?
It'd be the club secretary, wouldn't it? Can't see the manger or chairman having anything to do with that.

RandomJ said:
This is harsh in the extreme. They didn't purposely field an ineligible player who went on to win them the game they thought the player had served his suspension when he hadn't and he played what 3 minutes? Sometimes common sense has to come into play. A fine would have been punishment enough but to kick them out of the competition? Another UEFA masterclass. What a joke of an organisation.
Completely agree disgraceful decision.

Unfortunately this is not something that can be blamed on either Celtic or Uefa (for once). The example of the £15k fine isn't relevant - it is a different situation. Here is why;

BueeVDvIIAEcW-z.png:large

Debrecan is covered by #3 whilst Legia is #1. Note the inclusion of 'may' in the third instance.

Here's a fuller article going over it;

<a class="postlink" href="https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/desmond-kane/celtic-not-blame-legia-warsaw-incompetence-off-park-140011941.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/de ... 11941.html</a>

One thing to note is that UEFA technically didn't "kick Legia out". If Legia had scored one of the two penalties they missed against 10 man Celtic, they would have gone through. They made them forfeit the match that they broke the rules on, resulting in a 3-0 walkover. If that rule was "the other team gets a 3-0 walkover unless that means they qualify by the skin of their teeth" then it would be pointless.

I am a Celtic/City fan and I feel that we don't deserve to be in the competition any more. Our club is a PLC that plays in a very impoverished league - there is no way on earth that they could refuse UEFA's ruling. I don't even think that would work even if we TRIED.

It's easy to blame Celtic for this, but it's also bollocks. It's been shown that Celtic didn't raise the complaint; a UEFA delegate did. Ultimately though, a Legia Warsaw staff member who should have known better made a tragic, human mistake and has effectively knocked his team out of the Champion's League.

As a Celtic fan, and as shameful as it is, I hope we qualify for the group stages. You probably would too if it was your team, as it is easier to take the high ground when you haven't got the opportunity. If Maribor beat Celtic, so be it. I suspect they will.

... although I heard their admin staff aren't the best. #ThreeNilCeltic

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.