The Champions League Isn't All That

gordondaviesmoustache said:
I think people would appreciate it a lot more if they knew the words to the theme tune.
"THEEEEER CHAAAAAAAAAAMPYAAAAAANSCH LEAAAAAAAAA"

???

I think the problem has been that since we've been in the CL we haven't had a really big home win. We haven't left the Etihad feeling elated.

CheethamHillBlue said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
CheethamHillBlue said:
More than ANYTHING? So why wouldn't you want to win the World Club Championship? Surely being recognised as the 'World Champions' trumps 'The best team in Europe' doesn't it?

And how the fuck would we get into the World Club Championship if we fucked the Champions League off, as you want us to do?
Are you sure you've thought this one through?
Being in the Champions League attracts the best players to the club, brings in revenue, improves our profile internationally, and provides the opportunity for us fans to see the best players in Europe.
I'm guessing our owners would quite like us winning it too.

Do you have the attention span of a goldfish? You were the one that stated and i quote "this is the trophy I now want more than anything, as to me being recognised as the best team in Europe trumps being seen as the best team in England"
More than anything? Have you thought your comment through before jumping in with a pair of size 9's?
I said 'Why wouldn't YOU want to win the WCC'. Not me.
Apology accepted. ;-)
Now , is it still the C/L for you 'more than anything' or the WCC?

I'll take this slowly, so feel free to give your brain a rest at any point if it gets too demanding.
Now, you said that the Champions League 'isn't all that', which is clearly utter bollocks, for the reasons I stated earlier - namely revenue, exposure and prestige.
Most folk on here agree that, although they have misgivings, the Champions League is broadly a good thing, and we are better inside pissing out than outside pissing in and whinging.
Are you with me so far?
Ok - onwards and upwards.
Now I stated that I want us to win the Champions League more than anything else, and I do, because the World Championship doesn't mean a great deal to me, whereas the Champions League does.
But to get into the World Championship in the first place, you have to win the Champions League, which is the very tournament that you were arguing wasn't worth the effort.
So basically you moved the goalposts when folk disagreed with your verdict that the Champions League 'wasn't all that', and brought up another competition which has no bearing on anything.
Anyway, the bottom line is that the Champions League very much is 'all that', and therefore your opening post was gibberish.
Now if you've got this far, well done, and good luck with your next thread - maybe folk will agree with it - who knows what you can achieve if you really put your mind to it?

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Threads like this do make me laugh.
When we were shite, and in the old second division, we would have given a testicle to be dining at football's top table.
Now we are there, and good enough to mount a challenge, and folk are falling over themselves to rubbish the competition.
I can't speak for anyone else, but this is the trophy I now want more than anything, as to me being recognised as the best team in Europe trumps being seen as the best team in England.
Always the Premier League, but I want to win the Champions League some day

Just because some of the administrative rules have gone against us doesn't diminish the value of winning it. In fact it makes me want to win it even more

DenisLawBackHeel74 said:
Rascal said:
Its alright, just a shame its run by cunts

Pretty much my feelings on the matter

It could be so much more I reckon. It should be used to promote all thats good in the game, but I cant help feeling cheated by its sycophantic ways.

And yes last season it gave me 2 of my all time top City aways in Munich and Barca but still I think a lot of us feel like the unwanted guests at a party who had to be invited to keep the peace. And I dont think its a fans thing because the Bayern and Barca fans I met were great with us, its the organisers. FFP appears I feel to be like the bouncer at the door who does not let you in because you have wrong type of shirt on.

Maybe our past and our journey through the divisions of English football means we do have much more of an idea of how the proverbial other half live and whilst I believe we were always magnanimous UEFA show no magnanimity towards us. They treat us with opprobrium and because its all relatively new to us we as fans are struggling to see where we fit in at this top table. That bouncer looms large because I think most if told they couldnt get entry would probably walk away and think fuck you I will never go there again. Whilst our owners will buy the right shirt to fit in.

Maybe it's a defence mechanism to us failing so far in Europe, but I'm sure every blue would absolutely love to win this. The PL is what we follow all year round so that's what you are most engrossed in and by the seasons end care most about, but before the season starts if you offer me the Champions or the Premier League I'll take being champions of Europe without hesitating.

IMO it is the bee all and end all. Knock it as much as you want but this is where the greatest prize lies and all owners want it the cup itself is meanlingness in many respects it is all about the knock on benefits It is through this competition that the so called greats of Europe have established themselves worldwide and it is through the same competition (even though probably wont see it) is how we will become a world superpower.

LoveCity said:
I have to be honest, I found our Europa League home games more fun. Hamburg and Porto were great games, while Aris and Poznan were unique experiences. Much better than the £52 borefest against Barcelona this season which left my wallet empty. I've yet to be really captivated by a City home game in the CL. But the CL is vital to the progress of this club, so it is what it is.

Have been on every cup scheme in recent seasons, but haven't yet joined the 14/15 CL cup scheme and am wavering...

On the whole I enjoyed the Europa League away trips more than the CL trips, tickets not as expensive and some different countries/places to visit - Salzburg, Copenhagen, Thessaloniki, Porto.

However I'd definitely like us to win the CL sooner rather than later just to stick it up UEFA and the G14 clubs.

cibaman said:
I think the problem has been that since we've been in the CL we haven't had a really big home win. We haven't left the Etihad feeling elated.
Definitely.

Mancini's final season it was an unmitigated disaster with zero wins. Before that we had Napoli defeat, and scraped a win or two

Last season we had weak teams in our group except Bayern who played us off the pitch, and then there was the Barca game where we played really well I thought (others didn't) but had 10 men and a pen incorrectly awarded against us

Imagine beating a Barca at home. Etihad roof would lift off

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.