The Champions League Isn't All That

You just have to look at Arsenal to see how quickly things can change, they're never going to win it now, you've got to take your chance when you get it. Arsenal haven't looked like winning it since they got to the final and I don't think they're going to look competitive any time soon.

The Fat el Hombre said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Threads like this do make me laugh.
When we were shite, and in the old second division, we would have given a testicle to be dining at football's top table.
Now we are there, and good enough to mount a challenge, and folk are falling over themselves to rubbish the competition.
I can't speak for anyone else, but this is the trophy I now want more than anything, as to me being recognised as the best team in Europe trumps being seen as the best team in England.

Agreed mate. Not particularly this thread but there's been some serious mard arse comments on this forum about the champs league. If we were never to play in it again you can be pretty sure that all or almost all of our first team would want to leave, so yes it probably is really all that
It's not the competition, the seedings, the clubs who started the G14...nowt to do with any of that...it's the way the games are infuriatingly refereed that makes me hate the competition. We gave 43 fouls away at El Camp Nou, FORTY-THREE! We can go three Premier League games and not give that many fouls away. The games are ref'd ridiculously. The games are stop-start-stop-start-stop all the time. There's too much diving, too much dropping to knees, too much feigning injury, too much of this wanting the ball kicked out when a player is down...it's not enjoyable to watch, it's just frustrating.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
I think people would appreciate it a lot more if they knew the words to the theme tune.
"These are lasagnes
LASAGNES"

KippaxCitizen said:
The Fat el Hombre said:
nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Threads like this do make me laugh.
When we were shite, and in the old second division, we would have given a testicle to be dining at football's top table.
Now we are there, and good enough to mount a challenge, and folk are falling over themselves to rubbish the competition.
I can't speak for anyone else, but this is the trophy I now want more than anything, as to me being recognised as the best team in Europe trumps being seen as the best team in England.

Agreed mate. Not particularly this thread but there's been some serious mard arse comments on this forum about the champs league. If we were never to play in it again you can be pretty sure that all or almost all of our first team would want to leave, so yes it probably is really all that
It's not the competition, the seedings, the clubs who started the G14...nowt to do with any of that...it's the way the games are infuriatingly refereed that makes me hate the competition. We gave 43 fouls away at El Camp Nou, FORTY-THREE! We can go three Premier League games and not give that many fouls away. The games are ref'd ridiculously. The games are stop-start-stop-start-stop all the time. There's too much diving, too much dropping to knees, too much feigning injury, too much of this wanting the ball kicked out when a player is down...it's not enjoyable to watch, it's just frustrating.
You say that, but the games I watched without us in it didn't have anything like that sort of number in it. I thought Chelsea - PSG and Bayern - Rags were both fairly physical games. It's just Barcelona who get away with diving all over the place. They should get Suarez. He'd suit their style perfectly.

I think in order to actually be recognised as the best team in Europe, you have to win it in the same season that you win your domestic competition. I don't think anyone recognised Chelsea or Liverpool as the best teams when they won it.

I'm With Stupid said:
KippaxCitizen said:
The Fat el Hombre said:
You say that, but the games I watched without us in it didn't have anything like that sort of number in it. I thought Chelsea - PSG and Bayern - Rags were both fairly physical games. It's just Barcelona who get away with diving all over the place. They should get Suarez. He'd suit their style perfectly.
Dani Alvez and Busquets, I will hate those two cunts forever. They aren't footballers just two cheats who happen to be on a pitch where football is being played.

But it was the same when we played Porto away and Kiev at home in the Europa League a few years ago. We had seven players booked in Porto, six for fuck all.

thinking of fucking the CHUMPS league scheme off this season,if they don't really want us in their shitty cup,they aint gonna be getting a penny of my hard earned

KippaxCitizen said:
Neville Kneville said:
Non champions frequently get top seeding.

The best team rarely wins it.
The best team won it in 2013 2011 2010 2009 2008 2006 2003 2002 2001 2000 1999 1998 1996 1995 1994 and 1992.
The best team didn't win it in 2008, however they did in 2007 (Ancelotti's Milan).
I'm with the smelt the trophy down guy, although I'd also like to give it back to pratini in a burning bag of dogshit on his doorstep.

I've no time for it to be honest, I never have had and if it ceased to exist tomorrow I wouldn't shed any tears. I'm old enough to remember the old knock-out version which was solely for the Champions and to the exclusion of anybody else... winning that had real value as far as I am concerned. The current format is just about fat UAFA bureaucrats and their clique of parasitic followers in the media tucking into endless free-lunches while the rest pay through their noses for the 'privilege' of watching often terrible games. While I appreciate that it attracts the top players etc, if it didn't exist the top players would still sign for the top clubs for the best wages etc. I especially hate all the self-satisfied sanctimonious smugness of it all and really can't be arsed... I would sooner pay to watch Accrington play Morecombe if I'm honest, there would be more honest integrity to it I'm certain of that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.