The Champions League Isn't All That

cheddar404 said:
It's overhyped bollocks and I won't be watching the final. I'd rather watch yeh play off final. Unfortunately it's important to our progress but it's a wank competition.

So you'd rather watch two mediocre Championship sides compete than possibly the best two teams in Europe?
Oh well, each to their own I suppose.

Don't get me wrong, I'm on the cup scheme and do a few always because I enjoy watching City play but as a competition, I despise it. I thought is was shit when we weren't in it and possibly think it's worse now I've seen it at first hand. There's only a couple of matches we've played in that I could say were genuinely entertaining. It's always stop-start, fouls and yellow cards for nothing, shit referees, diving, corrupt from the top down. It would be brilliant if City and PSG told UEFA to fuck off and not have the champions of England and France in their shit competition but I accept that's not going to happen. It should be a fantastic competition with the best players competing against each other but unfortunately it isn't.

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
cheddar404 said:
It's overhyped bollocks and I won't be watching the final. I'd rather watch yeh play off final. Unfortunately it's important to our progress but it's a wank competition.

So you'd rather watch two mediocre Championship sides compete than possibly the best two teams in Europe?

Fuck that. I'm waiting for the division 2 play off final! You can keep your fancy shit.

cheddar404 said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm on the cup scheme and do a few always because I enjoy watching City play but as a competition, I despise it. I thought is was shit when we weren't in it and possibly think it's worse now I've seen it at first hand. There's only a couple of matches we've played in that I could say were genuinely entertaining. It's always stop-start, fouls and yellow cards for nothing, shit referees, diving, corrupt from the top down. It would be brilliant if City and PSG told UEFA to fuck off and not have the champions of England and France in their shit competition but I accept that's not going to happen. It should be a fantastic competition with the best players competing against each other but unfortunately it isn't.

There is an awful lot wrong with it mate, from the pricing, to the seeding, to the refereeing, right down to the daft beer veto, but sadly it is also the pinnacle if you want to be seen as the best in Europe, rather than the best in England.
I agree it needs changing wholesale, but as one who remembers the nightmare of the rags dominating the competition whilst we were yoyoing, rather than Yayaing, up and down the old second division, it would be nice to see our roles reversed, and for us to win the thing.

cheddar404 said:

There is an awful lot wrong with it mate, from the pricing, to the seeding, to the refereeing, right down to the daft beer veto, but sadly it is also the pinnacle if you want to be seen as the best in Europe, rather than the best in England.
I agree it needs changing wholesale, but as one who remembers the nightmare of the rags dominating the competition whilst we were yoyoing, rather than Yayaing, up and down the old second division, it would be nice to see our roles reversed, and for us to win the thing.

I see it as a necessary evil rather than the footballing festival it should be which is a shame really.

Depressingly a lot of those pointsd are true but also, as yet, City have not stamped their authority on the tournament and we still do not have that 'memorable' european night or turnaround which would grip the imagination of the fans.

Games ast Home against Dortmund, Madrid, Munich, Barcelona have been enjoyable from a neutrals perspective, watching the outstanding quality of the opposition but as yet we have not really performed in any of these games so from a City perspective there has been minimal to enjoy.

Personally I have found the UEFA cup more enjoyable and memorable. From the stirring comeback against Hamburg, Alan, Joe Harts last minute chance, Balotellis allergy and trips to places like Midjttland, Kiev, Lokeren I would not normally dream of visiting. But I expect that will change as City stamp their mark on the tournament.

Juan King said:
cheddar404 said:

Fuck that. I'm waiting for the division 2 play off final! You can keep your fancy shit.

It's the Skrill North relegation eliminators that really get my juices flowing, other than watching fat middle aged blokes puking up last night's ale and having a line of half time Charlie playing Sunday league pub football in my local park.
Keep it real, I say.

The champions league was created and driven by greed to appease the top clubs of the time from leaving their domestic leagues and forming a European super league so it's conception stank from the start.

When it looked like we would never play in it i felt like a poor kid with their nose pressed against the sweetshop window longing to be allowed in.Now i AM in the whole experiance leaves me feeling slightly nauseous.I echo what a few posters have said,crap refs bordering on the corrupt and diving cheating players.Aside from a few exciting matches most of the games leave me cold.Add to that the stench of racism,swept under the carpet by the bloated bigwigs of UEFA,who make the FA mob look honest and sincere and it is fair to say you can guess i am not impressed.

However i understand that as a club we have to be in it for the revenue,to grow our worldwide appeal and to attract the top players but i am never going to pretend i like it.

paulchapo said:
The champions league was created and driven by greed to appease the top clubs of the time from leaving their domestic leagues and forming a European super league so it's conception stank from the start.

When it looked like we would never play in it i felt like a poor kid with their nose pressed against the sweetshop window longing to be allowed in.Now i AM in the whole experiance leaves me feeling slightly nauseous.I echo what a few posters have said,crap refs bordering on the corrupt and diving cheating players.Aside from a few exciting matches most of the games leave me cold.Add to that the stench of racism,swept under the carpet by the bloated bigwigs of UEFA,who make the FA mob look honest and sincere and it is fair to say you can guess i am not impressed.

However i understand that as a club we have to be in it for the revenue,to grow our worldwide appeal and to attract the top players but i am never going to pretend i like it.

With you there all the way.

I think some of the things people don't like about the CL are valid points, however I bet the people moaning about it would soon want tickets if we managed to get in the final.

I'm at the point now, that next season I might do a few aways & not actually go to the match. Barcelona away this season was a fantastic trip, but the actual match experience was bobbins. I would have been able to watch it better in a bar and wouldn't have lost 3 hours drinking time going to the match!

I think people might warm to the CL more if we manage to have a decent run in it.

I'm hoping the final tonight will be a cracking game, which I think it might well be.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.