The City of Manchester: Why so shunned ?

manctheknife said:
Don't wanna pick holes here, but as a born bred and buttered manc i have to say, Manchester is nowhere near the 3rd biggest city in England by population.......nowhere near.
Was going to pick holes in this statement but bugger me,according to <a class="postlink" href="http://www.ukcities.co.uk/populations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ukcities.co.uk/populations/</a>
Bradford is bigger..............how is this.

Tuearts right boot said:
manctheknife said:
Don't wanna pick holes here, but as a born bred and buttered manc i have to say, Manchester is nowhere near the 3rd biggest city in England by population.......nowhere near.
Was going to pick holes in this statement but bugger me,according to <a class="postlink" href="http://www.ukcities.co.uk/populations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.ukcities.co.uk/populations/</a>
Thats Manchester as in the one Old Trafford isn't in. Greater Manchester/the Manchester conurbation is the 3rd biggest city in the UK.

Tuearts right boot said:
Those are local authority boundary populations from around 2001 (except for London). Note how they still included the full Greater London population to stop their list looking ridiculous, but pointed out that the figure they gave wasn't the official population figure.

The reason for this is simple really:

waterfront_irwell_manchester.jpg

The right hand side is Manchester, the left hand side isn't.

farmland-and-farm-near-gildersome-58943.jpg

This is Leeds.

1785480_65ed8ff0.jpg

This is Bradford.

Rascal said:
acquiesce said:
That really sums it up nicely. I've been visiting Manchester for well on 10 years now and consider it my second home. I would call it similar to the rust belt cities of the Midwest in the United States, Chicago, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh. The difference between Manchester and London is like the difference between Chicago and NYC/LA. Most notably the people are what make Manchester such a brilliant, friendly and vibrant city. There's a hard working mentality that you don't get down south. There's more of a "I've put in a good shift today, time for a pint" feel. It's more laid back and easy going, people take their time and aren't in a rush as you get in London.

And the statement about not marketing the city enough is spot on. They really are missing a trick there. All you ever hear about is London this and London that. Manchester could really pull in some major cash if they tried even a shot.

Damn I can't wait for January and my next trip over.

Thank you.

Manchester is inherently a good place, yes we have our scum but so does any city. We have had our problems but so does any city.

But we are the City that gave the world the ndustrial revolution, we are the city that inspired Marx and Engles, we are the city that supported Abraham Lincoln and his fight against slavery (fuck we are the city to have his statue) we are the city that gave us Peterloo, we are city were the suffreagettes were born. Our City has always been radical, challenging, politically charged, strong, self assured and fucking cocky as fuck. When Liverpool wanted to charge us more we built our own canal, our airport is the 15th busiest international airport in the world. You can fly to more places from Manchester than any other place in the UK.

Yes as people we can be irrevarant and sometimes rude, our humour is harsh and cutting and occasionally close to the bone, but we get us we understand us and i think we lke what we are a lot as we know we are warm and friendly people confident in what we are and what we represent.

For me its simple, im blessed, i was born and raised in the greatest City on the planet

City

Great stuff there about our deep strong industrial past and social heritage,manchester so much to answer for.

reminds me of a classic saying about Manchester during the industrial revolution,think it was in reply to Dickens who often visited Manchester.

" We come from the arsehole of the universe that shits pure Gold "

marvelous saying that

ctid

laserblue said:
Rascal said:
You can fly to more places from Manchester than any other place in the UK.

I'm afraid this is a myth Rasc. Apart from flights to many destinations from Manchester being only seasonally operated, Manchester Airport claims many destinations which you can't get to directly. Heathrow, on the other hand, lists only those destinations with direct flights from Heathrow.

As an example. Minsk (Belarus) can only be reached from Manchester via places like Milan or Paris but is classed as a destination. Heathrow doesn't count Minsk as a destination because you'd have to change in Hanover or Amsterdam. Better still, Manchester counts Kavala (Greece) as a destination even though you'd have to make two connections, in Athens and, er, Heathrow. Despite having to make just the one connection in Athens Heathrow doesn't consider Kavala as a destination.

Laserblue's name has been taken, El Presidente...

Shall we fly this one to somewhere distant that they did not realise can be reached from Manchester?

The presidential missile is fuelled and ready. Will they be bringing more than the approved luggage allowance?

Runway

Manchestercitychorlton said:
Tuearts right boot said:
manctheknife said:
Thats Manchester as in the one Old Trafford isn't in. Greater Manchester/the Manchester conurbation is the 3rd biggest city in the UK.
Greater Manchester (2.6 million), the Manchester Urban Zone (1.7 million), and the borough of Manchester (502k) are different though. Manchester isn't just the borough of Manchester, yet it also isn't the whole of GM. It is somewhere in between.

As far as I am aware every major conurbation in the world calculates its population from its 'greater' area.

The population of New York, for example, isn't just Manhatten, but also includes Queens, Brooklyn etc..

Manchester itself could not grow to any meaningful extent from the turn of the 19th Century as it was 'land-locked', so the surrounding towns have been absorbed into it. This is in contrast to US Cites such as LA and Chicago, for example, which have an extensive hinterland to expand into.

It is entirely right that the figures for Manchester include its satellite towns as they are very much a part of the city and its character. Certainly Salford, Oldham, Rochdale, Stockport (and dare I say it Stretford) and possibly Bolton should be included in the figures for Manchester's population, which on that basis is around 2 million.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
As far as I am aware every major conurbation in the world calculates its population from its 'greater' area.

The population of New York, for example, isn't just Manhatten, but also includes Queens, Brooklyn etc..

Manchester itself could not grow to any meaningful extent from the turn of the 19th Century as it was 'land-locked', so the surrounding towns have been absorbed into it. This is in contrast to US Cites such as LA and Chicago, for example, which have an extensive hinterland to expand into.

It is entirely right that the figures for Manchester include its satellite towns as they are very much a part of the city and its character. Certainly Salford, Oldham, Rochdale, Stockport (and dare I say it Stretford) and possibly Bolton should be included in the figures for Manchester's population, which on that basis is around 2 million.
I gave the official UK Government and EU figures for this earlier in the thread. It was about 1.7 million at the 2001 census.

It's changed a lot over the last few years, and much for the better after the 70's & 80's decline it's a great place and getting better, it's vibrant, cosmopolitan, historic and lots more, what more could you want?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.