The Cockney Blues Are Coming

Talks port summed it up on drove time earlier. They were laughing at how fans slate United and Liverpool fans when they phone in from Dublin or somewhere. They said, 'they're global juggernauts of clubs, that wouldn't be the case if they were purely local fans'.
We want to be the same. We want to be a juggernaut of a club. That only happens with fans from far and wide. In other words we become like them, which begs the question why blues slag what they are, but then have a go at the media when we aren't treated the same as them.

It's just the same as Everton or Villa fans having a go at us about the takeover and 'selling our arses to the Arabs" - they'd have their pants round their ankles and be greased up if a shiekh threw them a glance

My story is very similar to yours mate. Was brought up in Sussex, nowhere near a league football team, no local loyalties therefore and family weren't into football at all, so I was strange and on my own from the start (the words of Blue Moon have always held a special appeal to me for this reason). Neighbours were from Manchester though and supported City so thats how it started for me in 1981. First match I saw us live was in FA Cup 1983 at the Goldstone Ground, we lost 4-0 so certainly wasn't a glory hunter then and I still aint now!. First time to Maine Road I went in an official Brighton supporters coach, got out at Maine Road and whilst they all trooped off to away end I went and stood in the Kippax on my own as a 15 yr old - in hindsight was probably nuts to do that but the atmosphere of fear and excitement was unreal and my memories of it are as vivid today as they were then (I remember when we scored ending up about way down the terrace even with the barriers)

I spent many years living around the world and whenever people knew I was English they'd ask which team I supported, when I told them City I almost always got looks of 'who?' and what there's 'another team in Manchester?'. You just get used to it.

I'm as loyal as any Blue, circumstances mean I can't go to as many games as most of you but I feel the pain of defeat and the exhilaration of victory as much as anyone. I accept my place that because I can't go to as many games as I'd like that it means I can't also go to finals and big games, whereas those that do go every week get priority.

But I hate others thinking I'm any less a Blue just cos I don't have a Manc accent.

Great post. Exactly this " I feel the pain of defeat and the exhilaration of victory" that shows a true city not an accent. I can also relate to your experience travelling around the world. Argh your from Manchester... you must support Manchester Utd. Not anymore though.. how things change ey.

Great post. Exactly this " I feel the pain of defeat and the exhilaration of victory" that shows a true city not an accent. I can also relate to your experience travelling around the world. Argh your from Manchester... you must support Manchester Utd. Not anymore though.. how things change ey.

Happened to me in both America and Mexico that has. Manchester United? And I've stood there trying to explain there's a better team who play in blue who are actually from Manchester.

Won't be long now til we are out there globally, even more so than we are now.

great posts
My story is very similar to yours mate. Was brought up in Sussex, nowhere near a league football team, no local loyalties therefore and family weren't into football at all, so I was strange and on my own from the start (the words of Blue Moon have always held a special appeal to me for this reason). Neighbours were from Manchester though and supported City so thats how it started for me in 1981. First match I saw us live was in FA Cup 1983 at the Goldstone Ground, we lost 4-0 so certainly wasn't a glory hunter then and I still aint now!. First time to Maine Road I went in an official Brighton supporters coach, got out at Maine Road and whilst they all trooped off to away end I went and stood in the Kippax on my own as a 15 yr old - in hindsight was probably nuts to do that but the atmosphere of fear and excitement was unreal and my memories of it are as vivid today as they were then (I remember when we scored ending up about way down the terrace even with the barriers)

I spent many years living around the world and whenever people knew I was English they'd ask which team I supported, when I told them City I almost always got looks of 'who?' and what there's 'another team in Manchester?'. You just get used to it.

I'm as loyal as any Blue, circumstances mean I can't go to as many games as most of you but I feel the pain of defeat and the exhilaration of victory as much as anyone. I accept my place that because I can't go to as many games as I'd like that it means I can't also go to finals and big games, whereas those that do go every week get priority.

But I hate others thinking I'm any less a Blue just cos I don't have a Manc accent.

I'm originally from Kent, I've been supporting City (or as you'd like me to me say Cit'eeee) since 1970 .. spent 30 years traveling to home & away games along with countless fellow suvverners from London, Kent, Essex, Surrey and all points south. We've been here all the time.

3yrs ago I moved up 'ere bringing my "cockney" accent wiv me!!! What took me 4hrs now takes me 40mins (on a good day that is).

you`ll tell us owt

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.