The Conservative Party/Government

The Labour Party need to steer clear of the EU subject if they want to win the GE. The core values of labour are the NHS, Education, Employment and Equality.
We have moved to far down the road of inequality to make the debate about the EU
The cabinet have proved how corrupt they are, as Tory voters have proved what they think about Parties. They will elect a decent leader and the next GE will be theres to win
They are the core values and what the election will be fought on. But everyone of those are influenced by our future relationship to the EU and as such that will also need to be addressed, because the current arrangements are unsustainable.

where it will get bad for Johnson is Scotland and NI - If the Tories disappear off the electoral map and Labour look like staging a bit of a comeback there and the DUP are destroyed in NI that will focus Tory view points as they will face challenges from there.

I caught something on the news this morning, but didn't absorb it all. Did they say that the Conservatives might have to manage the break up of the Union if Sinn Fein get a landslide win?
I dont envisage a landslide here...well not as dramatic as the term suggests. Yes its likely Sinn Fein will hold the largest number of seats, but they will still "share power" with the DUP......SF and DUP will still remain the 2 largest parties (imo)

The DUP will not be "destroyed" and the Union will not break up......and to even suggest the possibility of that whilst the Tories are still in power (potentially only the next 2-3 years) is frankly ridiculous

I dont envisage a landslide here...well not as dramatic as the term suggests. Yes its likely Sinn Fein will hold the largest number of seats, but they will still "share power" with the DUP......SF and DUP will still remain the 2 largest parties (imo)

The DUP will not be "destroyed" and the Union will not break up......and to even suggest the possibility of that whilst the Tories are still in power (potentially only the next 2-3 years) is frankly ridiculous

I can't see any of the mainland media reporting it fairly without mentioning Sinn Fein and IRA in the same sentence. One sky news pundit I thought suffered from tourettes the amount of times he said it.

We could learn a lot from the northern Irish voters. Such as not allowing our politicians to treat us like idiots and doing something about it.

I can't see any of the mainland media reporting it fairly without mentioning Sinn Fein and IRA in the same sentence. One sky news pundit I thought suffered from tourettes the amount of times he said it.

We could learn a lot from the northern Irish voters. Such as not allowing our politicians to treat us like idiots and doing something about it.
Well, tbf thats who Sinn Fein were/are...but its irrelevant now...SF have a growing number of young voters....as @mancity2012_eamo will attest to in the South......i am far from being a fan of them, but even my son (17) has said he agrees with a lot of what they stand for (now)....and thats the important bit, to young people, today's SF is completely different to the SF of old.

Meh, thats not much to learn from us, hopefully it will change after today, but the same auld dickheads end up running(ruining) the show

Although - whats turnout like over there? Over here is down, but still at 63.5% overall

Last edited:
Well, tbf thats who Sinn Fein were/are...but its irrelevant now...SF have a growing number of young voters....as @mancity2012_eamo will attest to in the South......i am far from being a fan of them, but even my son (17) has said he agrees with a lot of what they stand for (now)....and thats the important bit, to young people, today's SF is completely different to the SF of old.

Meh, thats not much to learn from us, hopefully it will change after today, but the same auld dickheads end up running(ruining) the show

Although - whats turnout like over there? Over here is down, but still at 63.5% overall
Lucky to reach 30% for English council elections.

just under 25% in Hartlepool

Not as bad a night for the Tories as predicted, especially in the ‘red wall’ areas. Could this trigger a GE this year??
I doubt it. They’ll still lose two by-elections in the coming weeks, but it would be folly to call an early General Election when your majority is safe, the country’s heading toward 10%+ inflation, and you’re trying to impress upon people that you want ‘to get on with the job’. Economically, the United Kingdom is set for a rough 2022 and 2023, but it could be nearing the edge of the woods in 2024, at which point the budgeted for tax cut will be made. Just my tuppence worth.

Thats shocking turn out...i guess we are decent at getting out.

It appears that Unionism is in trouble...the Nationalist vote hasnt suddenly surged either....but the moderate vote has jumped significantly (Alliance)

Thats shocking turn out...i guess we are decent at getting out.

It appears that Unionism is in trouble...the Nationalist vote hasnt suddenly surged either....but the moderate vote has jumped significantly (Alliance)

Thats it so whilst Hartlepool remains Tory and Labour didn't make the gains they hoped for and the Tories made two thats against the back drop of such a low turnout which makes any GE comparison hard to call for now - oh and that Tory number may go down by one soon

Pre 1916 Nationalism and Catholicism were not synonymous.
I understand the circumstances and opportunism that led to the taking up of arms but there were plenty of politicians pushing the nationalist agenda and the furthering of Catholic emancipation, a lot being Protestant.
A lot down south might not agree with me, but Personally, I would hold Fianna Fáil and De Valera in particular much to blame, for the reinforcement of the notion of sectarian lines up north, although if I could think of a better term than to blame I’d use it.
However down south I think we have by and large moved on from civil war politics whereas up north I feel( again my personal opinion) the Unionist have clung to this sectarian notion above all else. It takes precedent over all else.
Is there any that are not dinosaurs?
I’m sure there must be but none of them would give me confidence that they would adhere to the democratic will of the whole country north and south if the union was under any perceived threat.
That to me is exactly where we were 100 years ago. It should not have been tolerated then, but now we must surely learn the lessons of what has happened since.

It is good to hear that the younger generation are moving on.
I myself don’t vote for SF down south but similar to AWG’s son, my son’s generation would have no hesitation down south and SF have made up the ground on FF and FG with left of centre politics.

I’ve largely switched off in the political threads and in particular the Irish one, because I find the current state of the UK government beyond belief and Unionism in the north, perhaps unsurprisingly, even more so.

The whole of the world and Northern Ireland in particular must see how untrustworthy any promise or deal made with them is.
I have largely given up trying to offer anything constructive as I really think you need to sort yourselves out first.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.