The Conservative Party

I always used to vote Green in Euro elections, they usually did well.
They have been in shared government in Scotland for years with the SNP. not had a huge influence but they have influenced some policies in Scotland.

Other media observations

Andrew Rawnsley's Observer column the same week - "get them in a dark corner and most Labour MPs will accept that they are surfing into office on a tidal wave of revulsion against the Tories and a ripple of enthusiasm for Labour"

There does not seem to be any huge enthusiasm for Labour". Then a quote from an academic: "We are entering an era of extreme electoral volatility...it will not take much to reverse the Labour victory." - this was after the election.

Maybe time has blurred what I remember.

But it still seems that Starmer doesn't have the cross over appeal that Blair was gifted, and in this day and age it’s more important than substance.

Blair was more charismatic whereas Starmer is more serious and sober, but the fundamentals are the same in the rigidly centrist approach and leaving nothing to chance.

The biggest difference is the economy which was comparatively healthy in 1997. The biggest similarity is that the country wasn’t having the Tories at any price in ‘97 and aren’t having them now.

The Tory party is also a shadow of what it was in ‘97. Then they were tired and out of ideas. Now, it’s a malignant cancer staffed with people who are unfit to govern.

Brexit is the starting point for where we are today. Once we voted for something that was obviously stupid and dishonest, it required stupid and dishonest people to run the country. I would say it gives me little pleasure to point this out, but I would be lying.

Other media observations

Andrew Rawnsley's Observer column the same week - "get them in a dark corner and most Labour MPs will accept that they are surfing into office on a tidal wave of revulsion against the Tories and a ripple of enthusiasm for Labour"

There does not seem to be any huge enthusiasm for Labour". Then a quote from an academic: "We are entering an era of extreme electoral volatility...it will not take much to reverse the Labour victory." - this was after the election.
That’s exactly as I remember it and we seem to be in the very same space. The Labour Party have confirmed that they will take the very same approach and not destabilise certain areas in the immediate term, but will be working behind the scenes to set the narrative of economical and strategic change for the mid-term.

For me, I remember the country coming out of a gloom when Labour got in, and a period of rest for the people of the country. That was soon followed with a brighter period where things were put in place to support society.

Will this happen, we can but wait and see.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.