The Conservative Party

Tory MP Julian Smith breaks ranks

’In a statement with many positive enterprise measures this huge tax cut for the very rich at a time of national crisis & real fear & anxiety amongst low income workers & citizens is wrong.‘

You do wonder how those tory mp's in the former red wall constituencies are feeling right now. It's definitely a budget to appeal to the conservatives traditional base but is it really a vote winner in those Northern working class towns that basically got them elected in 2019? I suspect they've just been hung out to dry.

You do wonder how those tory mp's in the former red wall constituencies are feeling right now. It's definitely a budget to appeal to the conservatives traditional base but is it really a vote winner in those Northern working class towns that basically got them elected in 2019? I suspect they've just been hung out to dry.
They’ll be concentrating on bleeding the expenses system as dry as they can, before returning to normal life with a nice pension.

Was about to post pretty much this. France would have seen large scale riots well before now. You have to wonder where the tipping point here is.
I work in local government and my branch of Unison has voted by 83% to 17% to accept a pay offer well below the rate of inflation. I despair.

To be honest - some disent would not suprise me. Reasons being

1 - most MPs did not back LT and for many (the new BJ intake) this will be there first experience of being shafted by the ERG + brexit lobby, for others its the latest in a long line of being done over by the loonies.

2 - many will see recent polling + this and think I have no chance of winning if this continues. Why not try to generate change. There is not much time and things look to be getting worse.

3 - the group that backed Sunak will be on whats app tonight - you can imagine the messages.

1. Agreed

2. The polling looks ominous but there is insufficient time now to mount a serious challenge from within; there are also too many groups and nobody capable of unifying them. Instead it will be a free for all, with individual MPs keen to be seen to be distancing themselves from the Government and speaking up for their constituents. Self-preservation.

3.If Sunak genuinely has political ambitions in the U.K., then it was probably better to lose that leadership contest. Far better to let Truss flounder for two years and then pick up the pieces in opposition but not facing a daunting majority. If the damage Truss inflicts on the country is too great and leads to a hammering at the polls, however, then he might be better heading back to the States.

Presumably these changes announced by the chancellor will need voting through by parliament?

If so, are there enough Tory MPs that recognise the sheer folly of these tax changes to vote against the government?

Can’t see it unfortunately.

Well yes I suppose they'll be well 'compensated' over the next couple of years but still on a professional level they must be pretty fed up
We may be assuming that they actually had principles in the first place.

It seemed like anyone who believed in Brexit was selected to be an MP in 2019.

It‘s going to take a while for the Tories to get some brainpower back in Westminster as a result.

So they are taking money off the NHS now as well, that NI scrap was for social care the first two years was going to be pumped into getting wait lists down. They really haven’t a clue.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.