The Conservative Party

The sooner the Mail is consigned to the dustbin of history the better. Though the support of the Facists in the 30s is seen as its most notorious period, in reality Harmsworth wasn't the only editor pushing that line at the time. It's vilest period as been under Dacre, a man who was able and very willing to tap into and feed the basest instincts of people whilst at the same time suggesting he was in some way upholding moral values. We'll know we've moved on as a society when few to none want to read this crap, not holding my breath though.

Oh I don't know.... you'd have to sink pretty low to beat this

IMG_0063.JPG

Oh I don't know.... you'd have to sink pretty low to beat this

View attachment 65865

Soren Kiekegaard nailed tabloid journalism in the 1850's.

"The daily press is the evil principle of the modern world, and time will only serve to disclose this fact with greater and greater clearness. The capacity of the newspaper for degeneration is sophistically without limit, since it can always sink lower and lower in its choice of readers. At last it will stir up all those dregs of humanity which no state or government can control."​
"If the daily press were to hang out a sign like every other trade, it would have to read: 'Here men are demoralized in the shortest possible time on the largest possible scale for the lowest possible price.' "​
"There is a far greater need for total abstaining societies which would not read newspapers than for ones which do not drink alcohol."​
"If I were a father and had a daughter who was seduced, I should not despair over her; I would hope for her salvation. But if I had a son who became a journalist, and continued to be one for five years, I would give him up."​

"The daily press is the evil principle of the modern world, and time will only serve to disclose this fact with greater and greater clearness. The capacity of the newspaper for degeneration is sophistically without limit, since it can always sink lower and lower in its choice of readers. At last it will stir up all those dregs of humanity which no state or government can control."

- Soren Kierkegaard 1853.
What would he have made of social media?

What would he have made of social media?

Well that's an interesting one. From what I know -

He was devoutly against organised authority, so I think he'd quite like it's arab spring, anti-authoritarian properties.

He was strongly against women's right to vote, so he'd definitely fit in with some of the misogyny on there.

And he also bemoaned the fact people were obsessed with surface level aesthetics, so he'd probably understand why people are so taken with instagram models and celebrity etc. but he'd also say it's a meaningless existence,we all need to find god and that society has removed our authenticity.

Just watching Jake Berry with the "when I am knocking on doors " response to a question. How many Bluemooners have actually met their MP knocking on their door?

About 20 years ago in a GE we had a Tory group knocking when this was a Labour seat ( Labour never bothered even when we had a Labour MP ) but the Tory candidate was not with them. Simon Clarke our current MP posts pics of himself canvassing on the far reaches of the seat on swanky new housing developments but is never seen here where his core seat is and where hi constituency office is.

I have to say the hardest working are the LD's who come around regularly and we get regular newsletters from them.
Had Meacher a few years ago on my step for a hour or so, his group of helpers had disappeared up the street but he wasn't going anywhere until I'd finished Talking to him.....he was also borderline racist about a big chunk of his constituentancy after me saying what my job was within the Civil Service.

Ended up with his wife driving along the road to find where he'd gone to.

Had Meacher a few years ago on my step for a hour or so, his group of helpers had disappeared up the street but he wasn't going anywhere until I'd finished Talking to him.....he was also borderline racist about a big chunk of his constituentancy after me saying what my job was within the Civil Service.

Ended up with his wife driving along the road to find where he'd gone to.
I would absolutely LOVE some conservative activists to come to my door. I've even planned the conversation in my own head to engage them initially rather than scaring them off.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.