The Conservative Party

I take your point, but that coalition was the end result of the FPTP electoral system.

PR would have changed the whole landscape with regard to the number of MP's representing each party, and a different coalition would probably have emerged.

Ultimately, of course, if the country vote for various factions of right wing parties in their droves, we are going to end up with a right wing government. The same could be said for extreme left wing parties as well, but neither of those scenarios are realistic.

In reality, most voters don't support right wing parties. Another point worth considering, one you'll understand as a supporter of PR, is many more people would vote under PR because they would feel their vote would count, and enough research has taken place into voter apathy over the years that show Labour supporters would be more inclined to vote under that system.

With PR in place, it's far more likely moderate parties would increase their representation in Parliament, and extreme right wing parties, which we now have with this conservative Government, would lose theirs.

It depends on which side of the political fence you sit if you think right wing or left wing governments are good or dreadful, but compromises would have to be reached for a Government to be formed. I don't think a party representing extremes on both sides of the political spectrum would have enough MP's to be included in forming a government. They would be the absolute minority in a parliament full of MP's representing the middle ground.
Farage would have been an MP.

Nick Griffin might have been.

It legitimises extreme voices.

FPTP means that a party electing a lying avuncular buffoon as leader can end up on a minority vote with a majority of 80 seats and then transform into a dog-whistling racist rump parliament, but PR doesn't come free of the risk of
empowering extremism.

Last edited:
going so so well - scorched earth - bankrupt the country whilst blaming the last Labour Govt and claiming you are the party of sound finances ha ha ha ha ha Tory Bastids

Quite ironic and very fitting that you’re happy to post this from Twitter, but not have an actual discussion with people about the themes at play.

This is my last post on the issue, before I leave you to your daily routine, but like Peston yesterday, Coates is only half right sadly. Although it’s obviously not helpful that the cost of new government borrowing has risen so much, without the APF this ordinarily wouldn’t be a huge issue as the higher rates would only apply to new borrowing. The vast majority of existing government borrowing would still be subject to the lower fixed rates that were set when the gilts were first issued.

The real problem currently - and the mainstream media won’t latch onto this for months - is that there are still £800bn of gilts held in the APF, and the APF is funded at a (rising) floating rate of interest - bank rate - rather than the lower fixed rates the gilts were initially issued at.

This is why the government debt costs are rising so sharply, and it will remain a major problem for the next government too. For anybody thinking that Starmer is just playing a straight bat at the moment, and not announcing big fiscal plans because he’s keeping his powder dry, I would suggest instead that Starmer understands the real problem here and knows he will probably have very little room for manoeuvre.

Anyway, I hope everyone has a good day, and if they get a chance to read up on the APF they should do so, because the numbers involved are huge and it will be a major issue for the next government as well as the current.

Anyone heard of Paul Howell (the Sedgefield MP)?
New in 2019, and surely a one-termer.
He didn’t learn the rules, how ever much provoked “manners” same for Miss Owens :) feisty lady, although I think the speaker was rather slow to respond.
Maybe we need more fire in parliament now the Scottish MP has retired.

He didn’t learn the rules, how ever much provoked “manners” same for Miss Owens :) feisty lady, although I think the speaker was rather slow to respond.
Maybe we need more fire in parliament now the Scottish MP has retired.

You mean Tam Dalyell?

It was a curious move at the time where there are complaints about bullying behaviour in Parliament to shout at an opponent.
Must be a bit thick.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.