The Conservative Party

Fire prevention has been very successful. (Charging lithium batteries while you sleep may change that.) But it's meant firefighter numbers less than half what they were when Buncefield went up. I doubt Hertfordshire FRS could now send 150 firefighters as an initial response as in 2005.

MPs' productivity is at an all-time low, especially among gone-missing Tory MPs.
Lots of stuff to do with fire prevention has come about from building regs etc, these are not in the hands of your everyday firefighter, however a white paper is due to be released soon on the fire service, expect huge ramifications from this, much of it to prop up the nhs and police. Of course this will all be expected to be done for no extra pay!

Which meant only people with independent means could do it full-time.
Yes, the idea of paying a wage was to allow (in theory) working-class people to be MPs. I believe the original salary was £500, a fair wedge in those days. But not an 'executive' salary.

I have an idea they always got expenses; they certainly did in the middle ages. But the main motive for being an MP was influence and social standing. It helped you 'get on'.

Lots of stuff to do with fire prevention has come about from building regs etc, these are not in the hands of your everyday firefighter, however a white paper is due to be released soon on the fire service, expect huge ramifications from this, much of it to prop up the nhs and police. Of course this will all be expected to be done for no extra pay!

I was always suspicious of what could be behind the Police changing from a Force to a Service and Fire from a Brigade to and Rescue Service. Do you think could end up with giving fire fighters powers of arrest and Police Officers courses on taking blood samples and inserting catheters? I am only partially joking there - I wouldn't put any mad cap idea past this lot

I was always suspicious of what could be behind the Police changing from a Force to a Service and Fire from a Brigade to and Rescue Service. Do you think could end up with giving fire fighters powers of arrest and Police Officers courses on taking blood samples and inserting catheters? I am only partially joking there - I wouldn't put any mad cap idea past this lot
Well first they will want the Fire service to respond to cardiac arrests, then it will be responding to slip trips and falls, concerns for welfare etc, they’d slowly tried bringing this in by the backdoor before I left, now I had no problem with it, IF paid for it and given proper traning and equipment.
I’ll give you an example, we got called to a woman trapped up a tree, she had tried this numerous times, it was a try at attempted suicide but also a cry for help, we attended and could not get an ambulance to come and pick her up, in the back of the pump she attempted to slash her wrists with a key, again I called for an ambulance, still nothing, I argued with a high up officer that we could drive her 5 mins up the road to Oldham Hospital so we could be released (remember for 2 hours fire cover is now down in Oldham due to us been tied up with this), me and the officer got very heated over the phone and I was told in no uncertain times what would happen to me if I did what I wanted to do. This woman was known to police and ambulance as she had numerous times attempted suicide, even her own husband wouldn’t come and get her! Eventually we handed her over to the police after 3 hours.
Now imagine this sort of thing comes in across Manchester you will have fire engines tied up on mental health jobs, cardiac arrrests (no way of transporting to hospital) and you can see fire cover becomes diluted and all to cover up failings of other serivices, oh and they want this for no extra pay, if I was still in I’d tell them to go fuck themselves. They do it in USA but are on a minimum £70-80k, us £36k!

Well first they will want the Fire service to respond to cardiac arrests, then it will be responding to slip trips and falls, concerns for welfare etc, they’d slowly tried bringing this in by the backdoor before I left, now I had no problem with it, IF paid for it and given proper traning and equipment.
I’ll give you an example, we got called to a woman trapped up a tree, she had tried this numerous times, it was a try at attempted suicide but also a cry for help, we attended and could not get an ambulance to come and pick her up, in the back of the pump she attempted to slash her wrists with a key, again I called for an ambulance, still nothing, I argued with a high up officer that we could drive her 5 mins up the road to Oldham Hospital so we could be released (remember for 2 hours fire cover is now down in Oldham due to us been tied up with this), me and the officer got very heated over the phone and I was told in no uncertain times what would happen to me if I did what I wanted to do. This woman was known to police and ambulance as she had numerous times attempted suicide, even her own husband wouldn’t come and get her! Eventually we handed her over to the police after 3 hours.
Now imagine this sort of thing comes in across Manchester you will have fire engines tied up on mental health jobs, cardiac arrrests (no way of transporting to hospital) and you can see fire cover becomes diluted and all to cover up failings of other serivices, oh and they want this for no extra pay, if I was still in I’d tell them to go fuck themselves. They do it in USA but are on a minimum £70-80k, us £36k!

confirms my suspicions

Or north west ambulance asking you to break in to a house where someone has said they can't get downstairs to let the paramedics in - then having to wait 3 hours for the paramedics to arrive.

It was only in the early 1900s that MPs started to be paid. Prior to that, they did the job, nominally, for nothing.

This demonstrates that there are huge advantages to being an MP, apart from salary, because otherwise, no one would ever have stood for election.
In those days it was covered by the gentry, those who already held wealth and power, and would do it to favour their higher in the pecking order. The pay-off was simple, do what I tell you and you may make the next rung. All the while, the peasants continued to work for a pittance and die early after being trounced.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.