The Conservative Party

I’ll level with you, you’ve lost me there.
No perfect system, but reduce the number of politicians ( was the jist) whilst scrapping the lord's in the present form. I was admitting whilst having the diagnosis, I don't have the cure

No perfect system, but reduce the number of politicians ( was the jist) whilst scrapping the lord's in the present form. I was admitting whilst having the diagnosis, I don't have the cure
Also, PR has let in extremism in Europe.... should have clarified that

Ah, sorry. I get you now. Would have no qualms with scrapping the Lords for an elected second chamber, but think PR is essential for the country moving forward. Not too concerned about the chance of it letting in extremism, as we’re getting close to that now anyway.

Not this thread but scrap the house of lord's for an elected chamber elected by MPs who are reduced to 100 on a PR representation with the largest party having the boss when they get in. The only problem is it lets true extreme views in so just reduce the number of MPs to 100 on first past the post and make seats bigger areas maybe. I don't know.

Thing with PR is for it to really work properly and for it to be truly democratic, then people have to accept that there will be extreme views represented in government/parliament and that is right, given they also exist in the populace.

In a mature democracy, I’d argue that’s a very good thing though. Majority rule means the policies they’d be advocating would never get enough support to be implemented and having their ideas properly platformed and scrutinised has as much if not more chance of dissipating their support rather than increasing it.

Getting a parliament truly representative of the populace as a whole is a fundamental tenet of pr and proper democracy in action, no matter what the views are.

And yes to scrapping or at the very least overhauling the House of Lords.

Ah, sorry. I get you now. Would have no qualms with scrapping the Lords for an elected second chamber, but think PR is essential for the country moving forward. Not too concerned about the chance of it letting in extremism, as we’re getting close to that now anyway.
I agree but was being cautious.

Thing with PR is for it to really work properly and for it to be truly democratic, then people have to accept that there will be extreme views represented in government/parliament and that is right, given they also exist in the populace.

In a mature democracy, I’d argue that’s a very good thing though. Majority rule means the policies they’d be advocating would never get enough support to be implemented and having their ideas properly platformed and scrutinised has as much if not more chance of dissipating their support rather than increasing it.

Getting a parliament truly representative of the populace as a whole is a fundamental tenet of pr and proper democracy in action, no matter what the views are.

And yes to scrapping or at the very least overhauling the House of Lords.
Yes, as before. I agree.

“It has been more than a decade since these thresholds were last uprated by the last Labour Government in 2009, following their introduction in 2000. If these limits are not uprated the effect is to cut the thresholds in real terms.”

But it doesn't apply to doctors' and teachers' pay.

having good policies doesn't make for a particularly good government if those in power are corrupt as fuck

Correct. Sadly power corrupts people it just becomes more obvious/brazen when they hold it for too long.

This corruption isn’t necessarily in a financial sense, although that of course also happens, but nepotism is rife. You can understand why leaders would want their own “people” in jobs but it doesn’t make for good government,

Correct. Sadly power corrupts people it just becomes more obvious/brazen when they hold it for too long.

This corruption isn’t necessarily in a financial sense, although that of course also happens, but nepotism is rife. You can understand why leaders would want their own “people” in jobs but it doesn’t make for good government,
The whole governance thing needs a radical shake up

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.