The Conservative Party

You can be picked to stand by hq and plonked in a safe seat. But you can't have a top job unless you are an mp. The 1922 have control over the rules of who gets the top jobs and that includes who controls the paid positions outside the mps and Lords. So Boris or jrm could have friends in high places but like all other x mps they have zero power right now.
Cameron was a minister from the HoL with no constituency.

Yes it's what's called good old fashioned class privilege and nepotism.

William Rees-Mogg, Baron Rees-Mogg (14 July 1928 – 29 December 2012) was a British newspaper journalist who was Editor of The Times from 1967 to 1981. In the late 1970s, he served as High Sheriff of Somerset, and in the 1980s was Chairman of the Arts Council of Great Britain and Vice-Chairman of the BBC's Board of Governors. He was the father of the politicians Sir Jacob and Annunziata Rees-Mogg.
Class privilege!
Not quite.
Rees Mogg’s grandfather was a small country solicitor who happened to marry a US millionairess.
That’s how the family got their money.
As for class, good heavens, they had to buy their own furniture.
The current William Rees Mogg is a chimera.

Good news for Reform unfortunately.

That membership who express a preference are prime Reform Ltd voters - however just like the majority of Reform MP's they are ageing - one of the reasons the Tories lost loads of seats will be the death toll amongst 2019 Tory voters so Reform have to ask themselves how many will still be here in 5 years time? Possibly explains why Reform were doing a few posts on their socials that the youth were going to turn out for them. If you look at where they won seats they are seaside and rural areas with predominantly white populations who are already getting on.

My guess is the Tories will pick a RW Leader.

Their bind is this. If they pick a LW Leader some of their supporters will move to Reform. If they pick a RW one, some supporters will move to Lib-Dems or Labour. If they start cuddling up to Reform, a lot of supporters will walk away.

Strangely, much depends on how Labour do in government. If they pull the right levers, they will shoot a lot of Reform's foxes. BTW, I am almost certain immigration numbers will fall, even if Labour do nowt. And they won't do nowt.

A Tory-Reform amalgam will appeal to maybe 20% of the voters. Maybe 25% at a push. Not enough.

The snag from a Tory POV is that a more moderate position might take a long time to bear fruit unless Labour fuck up badly and a whole host of centrist voters start looking for an alternative. But as the Tories have absolutely poisoned their brand, those people could as well go Lib-Dem as Tory.

My guess is the Tories will pick a RW Leader.

Their bind is this. If they pick a LW Leader some of their supporters will move to Reform. If they pick a RW one, some supporters will move to Lib-Dems or Labour. If they start cuddling up to Reform, a lot of supporters will walk away.

Strangely, much depends on how Labour do in government. If they pull the right levers, they will shoot a lot of Reform's foxes. BTW, I am almost certain immigration numbers will fall, even if Labour do nowt. And they won't do nowt.

A Tory-Reform amalgam will appeal to maybe 20% of the voters. Maybe 25% at a push. Not enough.

The snag from a Tory POV is that a more moderate position might take a long time to bear fruit unless Labour fuck up badly and a whole host of centrist voters start looking for an alternative. But as the Tories have absolutely poisoned their brand, those people could as well go Lib-Dem as Tory.

Tories will also have to take account of what their donors want. I am not sure donors and those potentially looking to put big money into the Party have the stomach for a move further right as this makes them unpopular with the wealthier parts of the Home Counties. This is in addition to the almost widespread rejection of their ideology among Londoners.

I think what you mention about Reform's foxes is spot on. We will see a larger 'middle'. An area the Tories may be looking to abandon.

Most of probably have a very poor view of the Tories based on performance in Govt and their election campaign but there will be some very canny people with power in the Party who will resist a further move to the right.

Personally, I think matching Reform ideology will be suicide for the Tories. Whilst I would be happy for the Tory Party to go to hell in a handcart, I simply don't want them to become like Reform as the divisiveness of the last 8 or 9 years has been dreadful for this country. I am hoping this Parliamentary term will give us some respite from the poison.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.