The Conservative Party

None of these are going to be PM. I think I read a stat somewhere that the first leader of any party after being booted out of office has never become a PM. I stand to be corrected of course.
Whoever is elected will be booted out after 6 months minimum because the crazies in the party will use the rules when they do something remotely Tory.

Whoever is elected will be booted out after 6 months minimum because the crazies in the party will use the rules when they do something remotely Tory.

That’s another reason I don’t see whoever gets this gig as having anything but a poison chalice. The tories will eventually have enough with not being in power and unite again.

That’s another reason I don’t see whoever gets this gig as having anything but a poison chalice. The tories will eventually have enough with not being in power and unite again.
Yep.

I thought if they got their shit together with a sensible leader they would be in with a chance of taking power again by the next GE as people get bored of Starmer telling us were all fucked and should live to our means. One thing I'll give the Tories is they are good at producing aspirational bullshit if needed.

However the infighting may guarantee him 2 terms.

It's an interesting period in right-wing circles re populism and extremism.

They are up and down globally. Having success in France and Germany. Reform here.

But the establishment right are being torn apart by the fringe. Tories and the GOP in the US are at an inflection point. They could go either way over the next few years.

Corbyn nearly broke Labour but they bounced back as strong as ever. Can't see tories doing the same just yet.

Last edited:
It's an interesting period in right-wing circles re populismand extremism.

They are up and down globally. Having success in France and Germany. Reform here.

But the establishment right are being torn apart by the fringe. Tories and the GOP in the US are at an inflection point. They could go either way over the next few years.

Corbyn nearly broke Labour but they bounced back as strong as ever. Can't see tories doing the same just yet.

Right wing extremism is on the rise, this lurches traditional right wing parties further to the right to try and shore up their vote.

Corbyn appealed to “further left” wing voters, Farage and his ilk appeal to “much further right” wing voters. What they probably have/had in common is they have animated a section of voters who don’t normally vote, given them a voice perhaps. In the case of the left now Corbyn is gone they have no one to vote for so have gone back to not bothering. That in its self doesn’t feel great for democracy.

Some would say proportional representation is the obvious, nay only, answer.

Reactions: PPT
Right wing extremism is on the rise, this lurches traditional right wing parties further to the right to try and shore up their vote.

Corbyn appealed to “further left” wing voters, Farage and his ilk appeal to “much further right” wing voters. What they probably have/had in common is they have animated a section of voters who don’t normally vote, given them a voice perhaps. In the case of the left now Corbyn is gone they have no one to vote for so have gone back to not bothering. That in its self doesn’t feel great for democracy.

Some would say proportional representation is the obvious, nay only, answer.
I would argue that whatever votes Corbyn gained on the one hand he lost on the other. Many centrists had nowhere to go in his 2 elections. But centrist voters don't get much sympathy for some reason.

I'm on the fence re proportional representation. On the one hand we would have more balanced politics and I'm pretty sure Brexit would never have happened under that system. But then it would be a gift to extremism on both sides. Farage would easily overtake the libdems and other unpalatable types of various backgrounds would be gaining traction.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.