The Curious Case of Dele Alli | Emotional Overlap interview (p 19)

What?

Sanchez had a magnificent career, but he was done when he left Arsenal, his legs had simply gone.
Don't think you read the second line of my post.

His career effectively ended when he left Arsenal. At that point his legs had not gone considering the wages he commanded from the rags.

Something was not quite right there and we dodged a bullet!

Similar trajectory to our own Stephen Ireland.

Great while few expectations and in a team built to get the most out of him. Then gets found out when expectations become higher, or even better players come in. Career fades away.

I did like what his manager said (I'm paraphrasing) "We gave him a bit of leave and he was meant to come back but it's raining so......"

Dele is a guy I fully expect to be on talksport within the next 10 years which is an absolute shame as he looked at one point like he was going to be a star.

Robinho is one of the biggest waste of talents I've seen. Also it probably saved the club but SWP's move to Chelsea seemed to put the brakes on his career. Imagine him at right back in this team (playing on the left)

I always thought he was born to be a rag. A snidey coward who acts the big man when surrounded by his teammates, yet as timid as a field mouse when on his own.
Just imagining Springsteen (or a convincing AI hologram of him) doing a “Born to be a rag” benefit concert to save them when they inevitably go in to admin.

Don't think you read the second line of my post.

His career effectively ended when he left Arsenal. At that point his legs had not gone considering the wages he commanded from the rags.

Something was not quite right there and we dodged a bullet!
We did but that was simply a case of a player way past his peak but to compare him with Ali is insulting to a once wonderful player.

Probably just got the mental strength to order a BigMac. Nowhere near enough to be able to cope with the pressures of a PL side, let alone go the long hard path of improvement.
Yes, it is easy to forget that we are watching la crème de la crème. These guys are rarities who keep their motivation from childhood to the end of their careers, always striving to be better. Big rewards, but big sacrifices too.

Dele is a truly fascinating case. He's one of those players whose Wikipedia pages I always return to, just to remind myself of how good he was and how shockingly far he fell.

That one season when he scored almost 20 Prem goals, he looked extraordinary. And he was. He was a very, very good player for a few seasons and then it all just fell apart. I don't take any particular pleasure in seeing a young athlete fail to reach their potential, but there's something so curious about it.

I can think of a few other players who had those little flash in the pan moments or "one season wonders", but there aren't many examples quite like Dele who looked so good and then dropped off so dramatically.

I'll just mention Oscar. I thought he looked like such a fantastic player at Chelsea, especially in the first couple of seasons. Looked like the next Kaka, someone who could drive Brazil to a World Cup win and have a fantastic career.

Instead, for one reason ($$$) or another, the lad decided at 25 to leave the exciting and competitive European leagues to cash cheques in China. Never played for Brazil again. I'm sure he's earnt plenty over there and that's what counts for some players, but he could easily have earnt millions while winning trophies and potentially playing at a Real or a Barca if he'd stuck it out and knuckled down, not to mention what he could have achieved with his country. Real waste of talent, that.
joe-hart-thumbs-up.ashx

Fell of a cliff, no finer example, ego, money, lazy, gambling, women, drugs , you take your choice.

To get to the top is hard, to stay at the top is incredibly difficult even for the most talented.

Talented kid who let all go to waste. Probably the worst part of Dele's case is it wasn't about injuries, but more to do with his attitude. He will probably serve as a case study for the younger footballing generation of not losing your focus while at the top. Of course he is not the only example in football but probably one of the most significant in recent years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.