The Curious Case of Dele Alli | Emotional Overlap interview (p 19)

As previous replies....I see no comparison with any of the players mentioned and the thread topic.

Alli just appears to be a player who has fallen out of love with the game or just can't be arsed.....he may or may not have a shitty attitude/chip on his shoulder.

The others mentioned have various health and injury issue....their short careers were out of their control.

Dele Alli seems to have a permanent chip on his shoulder. Sometimes it's good to vent your anger at people but the skill is saving it for those that deserve it.

You mean see out his legally binding contract that the club offered him? If it was you, would you say to your boss, ''OK, let's call it quits, I'll terminate my contract as of today and walk away"?

You are correct. I really haven't grasped the intent of this thread. In your OP you list Lakey alongside Steven Ireland and Freddie Adu. I fail to see any connection between Lakey and the other two. The latter two could still be playing today / recently hung up their boots. Lakey didn't have that option. There is no curiosity about that.
…did you read the rest of my post (that you’ve edited out for some reason) where I quite literally say I wouldn’t have done that and can’t blame Rodwell for seeing out his contract (even though there were reports that Sunderland were attempting to get him off it or transfer him)?

Here is the rest of the post you quoted:

“And, to be honest, given how most clubs treat players (especially young and/or injury-ridden players), I can’t say I necessarily blame him for taking that course. Who knows if how previous clubs handled his injuries contributed the sudden collapse in ability (thinking of Fernando Torres’ downfall, though, he was partly to blame there).”

I am not sure I understand your ire here and seeming intentional misrepresentation of my posts here, MES.

Last edited:
As previous replies....I see no comparison with any of the players mentioned and the thread topic.

Alli just appears to be a player who has fallen out of love with the game or just can't be arsed.....he may or may not have a shitty attitude/chip on his shoulder.

The others mentioned have various health and injury issue....their short careers were out of their control.
Again, the thread was intended to be about promising players (some that may have briefly achieved some measure of recognised success, as in the case of Johnson, Ireland, Rodwell, and especially Alli) that never quite reached their perceived potential or their careers fizzles out, be it because of the onset of early injuries, poor attitude, controversies, external events, overhype or some combination of all of that, hence the connections among them.

That’s what I thought was clear from the OP but I suppose I was wrong there and mentioning Johnson in the first sentence confused the matter (I only meant to say his is a story that youth should be aware of, like Alli’s, though for different reasons). And apparently my including Lake due to his very unlucky injuries shortening his career.

Surprised a few have seemingly taken offence to the premise in general, though.

Dele is a truly fascinating case. He's one of those players whose Wikipedia pages I always return to, just to remind myself of how good he was and how shockingly far he fell.

That one season when he scored almost 20 Prem goals, he looked extraordinary. And he was. He was a very, very good player for a few seasons and then it all just fell apart. I don't take any particular pleasure in seeing a young athlete fail to reach their potential, but there's something so curious about it.

I can think of a few other players who had those little flash in the pan moments or "one season wonders", but there aren't many examples quite like Dele who looked so good and then dropped off so dramatically.
Ali was never the same after he grew those shitty dreadlocks that made him look like Jack Sparrow.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.