The David Silva Stand?

I don't think we should be naming a stand after anyone, because you run out of stands pretty soon. Also I'd like it if we had something to celebrate pre take over players before the current/recent squad. A statue of some 99 play off final players first.

Naming bits and bobs of the club after players/staff is stupid and short sighted romanticism.
I like how Ajax named a stand at their old stadium and a board room at their new stadium after the Mancunian and ex-City player (although he never made the first team) Jack Reynolds who was Ajax's coach and the founder of Total Football.

But that was in his honour after his death.

I agree. On another thread people are suggesting Olga and Vera could say whether Doherty was the best of all time. Each generation has its heroes and while I believe Silva is the best ever twenty years from now someone may be saying “why’ve we got stands named after Bell and Silva when De Bruyne/Foden/Another is our greatest ever player?”

The best way to mark legendary figures would be to create a proper walkway with statues of the greats and Hollywood style paving stones with other names and achievements. If the main road towards the main entrance or Sir Howard Bernstein Way, linking the CFA and stadium, had statues either side and a mosaic of names and achievements on the floor that would provide a visible, powerful message about our history.

I do get where you’re coming from Gary, but I think the fact that the club historian thinks he’s our best ever, speaks volumes.

If we simply honoured Silva with a Hall of Fame / plaque or whatever, I actually think that’s doing him a disservice. Players like Quinn and Goater are in the hall of fame, and while I respect and am grateful for their contributions, I feel Silva deserves extra recognition than them.

I never got to see Colin Bell play, but growing up, he was widely considered our greatest ever player. I thought it was fitting that the stand was named after him and made me proud that we were honouring our greatest.

Pretty much every City fan I know thinks Silva is our best ever. There are an increasing amount of fans who saw Bell who think the same, and many others who feel it is a legitimate conversation.

He’s been a key part, probably the most important part of our most successful team of all time. That’s what justifies the extra adulation for me. And the other thing is, similar to Colin Bell, he’s quite shy, unnssuming and would never put his foot in it or bad mouth the club. He’s admired for his personality as well as his talent.

I’d love to be able to tell my grandkids stories of why the stand was named after David Silva, the same way grandad’s tell their grandkids about the Colin Bell stand now.

Silva has never got anywhere near the recognition that he deserves. The fact he’s never won the PFA or FWA player of the year is scandalous. It’s probably down to the fact he is so humble and shuns the limelight. But if his peers aren’t going to honour him, then I think it would be fitting for the club to do so and I see no more fitting tribute than The David Silva Stand. It’s not like anyone is going to miss the name The East Stand.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.