The decision to loan Barry and keep Garcia.

franksinatra said:
dobobobo said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
Or as pointed out 10000000000000000 million fecking times that Barry did not want to be a squad player

I think this is a bit of a moot point. Begiristain called Barrys agent in the summer informing him he was not part of the managers plans. Barry decided he wanted to prove himself to the manager but was then left out of the tour to Finland and the first few match day squads and then decided to move.

Whether he would have accepted a role within the squad as back up to Fernandinho and Yaya we will never know until he clarifies this. Undoubtedly he wished to play a role but nobody with the exception of himself knows what would have proved acceptable. There are varying degrees of 'squad players' so to say outright he would not accept this is spurious..

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gareth-barry-leave-city-5841965

dobobobo said:
franksinatra said:

I think this is a bit of a moot point. Begiristain called Barrys agent in the summer informing him he was not part of the managers plans. Barry decided he wanted to prove himself to the manager but was then left out of the tour to Finland and the first few match day squads and then decided to move.

Whether he would have accepted a role within the squad as back up to Fernandinho and Yaya we will never know until he clarifies this. Undoubtedly he wished to play a role but nobody with the exception of himself knows what would have proved acceptable. There are varying degrees of 'squad players' so to say outright he would not accept this is spurious..

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gareth-barry-leave-city-5841965

I posted that article on the last page. It is interesting article, but it depends how you interpret it. He states he would not want to just pick up his wages but then suggested he wanted to stay but left when left out of the pre-season tour and first matches (e.g never likely to play any minutes). Would he have accepted Cup games? Back up to Yaya and Fernando? What constitutes not being involved?

aguero93:20 said:
leewill31 said:
Ban-jani said:
I've been watching Everton a bit this season and in particular Barry, of whom I'm a huge fan.
This isn't a thread cricising Pellegrini, as I really like him and think he's improved things,
but I want to know why the club decided we'd loan Gareth but keep Javi?

Barry's passing is far more varied and he can make penetrative balls through,
whereas Garcia cannot and passes from side to side.
Their pace is similar - next to none, but Barry reads the game much better and
get's into positions early so his pace isn't too much of an issue.

I've been thinking about this a lot recently (I know I should be just enjoying
our form!) and I want to know what other blues think?

I personally think it was a terrible decision, as was selling Suarez. The good news
is the rest of our transfer market, Jovetic aside, was fantastic.

Barry knew his time was up when we went and bought Fernandinho in june and he wasn't going to sit on the bench and hope for a game.

Barry was exceptional in his time with us and helped us to where we are now but new manager and new ideas seen Barry not fit in.

the question i would ask you is would you have barry back instead of Fernandinho?
yep.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR8XH3R95xE[/youtube]

frank.jpg

Kun Aguero said:
aguero93:20 said:
leewill31 said:
Barry knew his time was up when we went and bought Fernandinho in june and he wasn't going to sit on the bench and hope for a game.

Barry was exceptional in his time with us and helped us to where we are now but new manager and new ideas seen Barry not fit in.

the question i would ask you is would you have barry back instead of Fernandinho?
yep.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR8XH3R95xE[/youtube]

frank.jpg

He can talk to me anytime but I rarely give good advice

Notwithstanding the merits of each player which has been done to death on here. IMO Barry at the end of his contract and needing game time to push for England place in WC. Garcia only just into his contract and probably no chance of getting on the plane to Rio. Maybe thinks he can improve him so that the club can at least recover some of the money it spent on him under the previous regime.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of it are......

One thing we can say is that by having Gaz Baz at Everton it has probably done more to take points off our opponents than he would have done by sitting on the bench in our squad.....

Shrewd move by City really.

It's a difficult one. Like de Jong, Barry will have wanted first choice football but Barry had some poor form for long spells last season and de Jong would have got a fair chunk of starts anyway. I've watched Milan a few times this season and de Jong is their best player and I do miss watching him live.

With us playing in four competitions this season Barry would have arguably played 38 times with many starts and numerous substitute appearances for us and he won't play much more than that for Everton so I don't think he needed to worry about it too much. It's something to remember too that, as I've said, Barry had a chunk of the season (from Villa at home to about Newcastle at home) where he barely played well once. Txiki will have looked at this and thought "nah, not good enough". He is playing well for Everton though, has to be said.

García doesn't do a great deal wrong but he also doesn't do a great deal well neither. He's just a steady passer of the ball with no pace and doesn't read the game well and doesn't have any incision to his passing. When we're in a game where we boss possession and need to break a team down he's a wasted place on the pitch in our team as he offers nothing but header winning. He isn't someone who makes clangers and he isn't as "shit" as some people say he is though.

Of the three I would love to have de Jong in rotation with Fernandinho and Yaya but I don't think he'd go for it. Last season was when we really needed him with Barry's dip in form.

After seeing Milner play there against Sunderland in the second half - and every single other time he's played there - he's by far the next best option in the squad. But because we have such poor strength in depth for cover for Nasri and Silva we have to use Milner up there instead. But Milner offers more to us going forward than García does.

Santiago Street . said:
How do those claiming that Barry didn't want to stay and be merely a squad player know this.

Did you read it in the papers ?

As others have pointed out a four pronged assault on immortality offers all the squad plenty of first team opportunities. Claiming Gareth wanted away for 1st team football is an easy throwaway line to use but isn't fact based as far as i can see.

Barry's twice the player Garcia will ever be and would've been a much better deputy for Ferna.
How does the OP (I think it was the OP at least) know that Garcia will be gone in the summer?

franksinatra said:
dobobobo said:
franksinatra said:

I posted that article on the last page. It is interesting article, but it depends how you interpret it. He states he would not want to just pick up his wages but then suggested he wanted to stay but left when left out of the pre-season tour and first matches (e.g never likely to play any minutes). Would he have accepted Cup games? Back up to Yaya and Fernando? What constitutes not being involved?

Aye you did, thanks for sharing it. I couldn't find your post again with the link so just posted the link thinking you were a different person.

I understand your point better now. Regardless of what I think about Barry and that it was right for him to go, he deserves full credit for not doing what Wayne Bridge did.

Gareth Barry was great for us 90% of the time last season. The problem was that when he had an off day he had an absolute shocker. Southampton and Everton away in the league, Wigan in the cup final, Ajax in the CL. All fairly crucial games. He's 33 next month. At that age he cant be overplayed but also he needs regular football to stay sharp. Not sure he'd get that at City.

I also think it would have been easier for the club to arrange a last minute loan deal with an English club for Barry than for Garcia.

What would have been a mistake would have been if the decision to loan our Barry was based on the presumption that Rodwell would stay fit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.