The Derby Post Match Thread

Pellegrini learned something about the team today, we can go into the trenches and shut teams down when we need too. Bring a fully fit Silva and Aguero into the mix and we could be very useful going into big games we need to win away from home in the premier league and champions league.

First time Kompany and Ottamendi played together too and looked a decent pairing. The building blocks for being more solid at the back may be falling into place barring any more injuries. Plenty of reasons to be cheerful.

Absolutely correct. As I've said already Aguero and Silva present or not surely our performance levels shouldn't fall so sharply without them. We got the point which was worse that all three but better than none, so all things considered I'm content with the result.

As for the performance, that's another matter.

That's where IMO Pellegrini should have been more savvy and set us up for the counter attack. We had Sterling, KDB and Navas who are perfect for the counter and also work extremely hard for the team. But instead he insisted on playing Yaya who quite frankly was non-existent today.

I don't for one minute think that playing Yaya in the number 10 role over KDB helped us out in any way shape or form defensively. Nor does KDB offer more defensive work on a wing than Navas.

I though Pellegrini had the right idea to go more defensive today but implemented it the wrong way. You can be more defensive whilst keeping an attacking threat. What was encouraging though was the way he adapted to Fellaini's introduction.

A real Mancini-type performance from the lads today, especially the back 5 and the two Ferns, I'm very happy with the point and it never really looked in doubt. Bony is just lacking the passing confidence others in the team normally have to really click in matches, this lad can score (and to be fair to him some of the others passing was a bit off today). AK needs to look across the line when he is defending, nearly cost us, love him going forward though. Great seeing Martin come on to out-tactic the Turtle's plan B as well. Top of the league!

That's where IMO Pellegrini should have been more savvy and set us up for the counter attack. We had Sterling, KDB and Navas who are perfect for the counter and also work extremely hard for the team. But instead he insisted on playing Yaya who quite frankly was non-existent today.

I don't for one minute think that playing Yaya in the number 10 role over KDB helped us out in any way shape or form defensively. Nor does KDB offer more defensive work on a wing than Navas.

I though Pellegrini had the right idea to go more defensive today but implemented it the wrong way. You can be more defensive whilst keeping an attacking threat. What was encouraging though was the way he adapted to Fellaini's introduction.
TBH, I expected MP to start with Navas wide right, KDB as No 10, Sterling wide left and for Yaya to be in CM with Fernandinho, but the starting line up and formation said to me that we definitely went there not to get beat which was a surprising tactical move which could prove to be invaluable come the end or the season.

Would you have started with Yaya in a midfield 2 with Fernandinho or with Fernando instead of Yaya?

Happy with the point we sadly look toothless upfront without Aguero. Bony was awful and i would have given Kelchi more game time

I thought Plattenburg reffed the game well.
Plenty of others would have caved in, based on the evidence of other games this season.
He did well to ignore the baying rags at an over-excited cripple creek today.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.