The Derby Post Match Thread

Best way of looking at it is that that was probably the best united could do. whereas we know that as well as our quality defensive effort today, we can actually take it up another notch or three if we want to.

We got a point and are top of the league again.

I'd rather have today's result over what happened last season.

It's all good Blues!
What we've shown is that after the 4-2 last year, we are scared of United again. That's only going to give them confidence in the future.

Setting up to play for a point is a small team mentality. You wouldn't see teams like Barcelona, bayern or real doing it in the league. I'm glad you aren't the manager or we would never have seen a 6-1 at the swamp.
Different times need different tactics we were pragmatic, a win would have been great but a point was still good considering the circumstances, Chelsea won the league comfortably whilst drawing away to their direct opponents last season

People who are going on about our defensive setup give your head a wobble. We were without our two best players, away from home, against a side in the title race (if you like it or not) and securing the point takes us back to the top of the table.

We rarely setup like this! In fact I haven't seen pellers this tactically defensive in a long time (I prefer to call it tactically astute but hey) and I don't understand anyone who is unhappy about it.

Top of the league now on to our next game.

Setting up to play for a point is a small team mentality. You wouldn't see teams like Barcelona, bayern or real doing it in the league. I'm glad you aren't the manager or we would never have seen a 6-1 at the swamp.

I'm sure if it was Real Madrid v Barca at the Bernabeu and Barca were without Messi, Neymar and Suarez they would take a point.

Talking to United fans I know, they are gutted as they saw this as their big chance to get one over on us, with out injury problems because they know us at full strengh would have won and won good take that as you will

Didn't say it wasn't. The kid bring Lingaard.

My point being, you can't legislate for a touch of class and despite our perfect set-up, that's the best they could manage.

I thought it was a brilliant game to watch, a real chess match at a very high European level.

Kompany and Otamendi were rocks and also gives great hope for future.

I was buzzing to see a City team play like that, all methodical and something we might have seen Chelsea receive plaudits for in recent years?

Our best performance of the season outside of the Chelsea game by a country mile.
This^ all of it!

I'm sure if it was Real Madrid v Barca at the Bernabeu and Barca were without Messi, Neymar and Suarez they would take a point.

Spot on. The lesson appears to have been learned at long last by Pellers, but obviously not by some of our fans.
We all want to win, and had our front 4 managed to retain possession better, we might have come away with the points, but, the imperative is that, if u can't win, don't lose. To that extent - and away from home - job done imho.

I'd have dropped Yaya and brought him on 2nd half to give us control.
Yaya needs legs around him and little in the way of defensive responsibility. He should only be played in a midfield 3 alongside players who have the box to box energy he lacks. He's obviously not getting any younger and needs protecting and his role needs to be redefined just like Juve did with Pirlo..

He's still a special talent but I've felt for a long time that we're not playing to his strengths in many matches because of where he's told to play and the job he's asked to do in a formation that doesn't suit him and which exposes he weaknesses. No wonder he gets frustrated at the criticism he gets, play to his strengths and I reckon we'll get another 2 top class seasons out of him.

Today The Tactical Turtle ensured that neither KDB, Sterling nor Yaya had any space or time to become effective. We needed to up the tempo and get our quick passing possession game going which was made all the more difficult with the absences of Nasri and Silva. This is how we've combated high pressure tactics before but the lack of those creative possession based players today meant we neither had the energy nor our normal level of controlled possession to combat ManUre's high pressing rugby tactics.

Hence, I've rarely seen us play so many long balls thus continuously conceding possession in a match before. All said and done because we lacked our normal level of creativity and endeavour we replaced it with an effective defensive game plan which brought us home a precious point which could be invaluable come the end of the season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.