The Difference between us and a title winning side?

What you have to remember though is that we're building a team capable of winning the Prem and maybe the C.L. It may well take a year or two and a few other signings but at least we're making progress and gradually getting there.

somervillain said:
Defenders.

The current defenders can get City to the Champions League, but they're not multidimensional enough to win the league. Lescott is too mistake prone. Touré isn't good enough in the air. Richards can't get forward and put in crosses, and Zabaleta lacks the pace to stay with quicker opposing LWs. Bridge is serviceable, but Hughes will need an upgrade at LB.

The rest of the squad is league title-caliber.

No club has four top class multidimensional defenders except for maybe Chelsea, and even they haven't been particularly impressive on that front this year and Cech isn't playing particularly well. Not to mention Chelsea can't make transfers for two years which puts them at a disadvantage when injuries creep into their squad.

The scum have Evra who's great but Vidic and especially Ferdinand have been shaky this year. I'd say our right backs are better than Chuckle, O 'Gay, and Rafael as well.

Liverpool have been much worse than us defending and against weaker sides. Johnson doesn't track back, Carragher is getting old, Insua is lightweight..

Arsenal are average as a unit defensively and Almunia isn't that great a keeper.

Tottenham are a comedy act sometimes with their defending..makes us look like Inter.

My point is I think that our defenders are good enough to win the title, maybe not this year there's still a few things to make them more solid but by next year I wouldn't be disappointed if we had the same defenders with a year of experience together being comfortable with each other.

I agree with Breaker on this one. From what I've seen none of the Top 4 have water-tight defences and what we have at the back is certainly no worse than any of the others. Plus we have Shay who IMHO is currently the best keeper in the Prem.

Bilboblue said:
is another 32 games..............

I have to say tho, yoonighted, Chelsea Liverpool and Arsenal would probably have hit 5 minimum against a very poor West Ham side tonight.
True mate but, they are established sides. We've got 2 brand new centre back pairing. Craig, martin and carlos are only just working ebb. Other out too. We've yet to see robi, manny and carlos together too. You're going to hate what you know i'm going to write now. Give it TIME. :)

KentBlue said:
I agree with Breaker on this one. From what I've seen none of the Top 4 have water-tight defences and what we have at the back is certainly no worse than any of the others. Plus we have Shay who IMHO is currently the best keeper in the Prem.

He's definitely the best shot stopper, not wanting to slag him off as i love the guy to bits but there are times when Given could really help out our defence by coming out for crosses into the box, that's his only fault imo.
A keeper that can come out for crosses is worth their weight in gold.

bluemoon32 said:
KentBlue said:

He's definitely the best shot stopper, not wanting to slag him off as i love the guy to bits but there are times when Given could really help out our defence by coming out for crosses into the box, that's his only fault imo.
A keeper that can come out for crosses is worth their weight in gold.

we could always buy Buffon in Jan.

;)

We never seem to be able to kill a team off.... yet

Very harsh to disallow thier goal i thought, and despite all our chances and possession they could have scored 2 and been right in the game still. That would not have happened to a title winning team who would have comfortably won by 4-5 goals.

Our defending from set pieces is shocking and we look like letting in a goal from every one. Teams like Wigan, Stoke etc will have a field day against us. Yes we are quite a short team and Ade and Santa Cruz will help us there but still its needs to be worked on.

The team is still to gel i feel, but we need to be more clinical up front and kill teams off, like title winning teams do, last night could have been all over in the 1st 20 mins if we were more clinical and perhaps had a little luck.

I thought last night we dominated for huge spells like a Top 4 team would. We are playing teams that finished above us last year and completely dominating. Okay, Villa away will be a tough old game and Spurs should be interesting. But them two aside (Two teams i'd still be very confident against, mind) we don't really have anyone to worry us.

Every team drops points in unexpected places but also make up for them in unexpected places too.

I see that as 26 Should win games (13x2) = 78 Points

I am increasingly we can finish in the Top 4.

We also in my opinion have the best holding Midfielder in the Prem at the mo . I really think De Jong will become better than Makelele . We can get away with a few shakey Defensive moments if this happens .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.