the economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
johnmc said:
metalblue said:
stonerblue said:
So when will interest rates on savings go back up now we're on the up and up ???

The QE exit is in sight, advanced economies are getting on a footing to handle shocks from a rate increase, especially the US. For UK I expect a modest rate increase (0.25%) sometime during second half 2015, I would go further and say Q4 2015. After that I see a fairly regular uptick in rates, 2016 averaging around 3%, 2017 4%. UK neutral rate of 4.5% should seen in 2017.

-- Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:51 pm --

The eurozone has one more rate cut in it, probably at end of this year

Im wondering whether to go for a 2 year or 5 year fixed rate mortgage - given what you are saying there wouldnt be much in it savings wise. 2 years fixed the base rate is unlikley to change anyway but the 5 year deal may pay dividends towards the end.

I'm not really qualified to say mate, you need to do what is right for your own circumstances...there is only upside risk at the minute and I can only give my opinion on how I see it playing out. If I was locking in I would go for the longer period, time = uncertainty but I'm not thinking of locking in.

I don't know if it's already been mentioned and I don't know how to post links.. but have a look on youtube for a video called 'The end of Britain' from Moneyweek magazine, pretty scarey stuff.

I cashed in isa's, emptied most of my savings and put 25-27k into a buy to let. The value increased by 15k (as of last year). My 25-27k is still there as equity, and I earn £320 per month before tax, didn't think that was too bad, but I'm no expert on finance, only boilers :)

bgblue said:
I cashed in isa's, emptied most of my savings and put 25-27k into a buy to let. The value increased by 15k (as of last year). My 25-27k is still there as equity, and I earn £320 per month before tax, didn't think that was too bad, but I'm no expert on finance, only boilers :)
No that is great but I have a client list as long as your arm that have seen no growth on their buy to let portfolios in 5 years.

As with all things, it depends how yours does.

SWP's back said:
bgblue said:
No that is great but I have a client list as long as your arm that have seen no growth on their buy to let portfolios in 5 years.

Glad I've done something right Sam, the missus was fucking dead against it! Think she bought into all the uncertainty, and wanted a bit of security in the bank, then I went an virtually emptied it. Coming round a bit more now though

bgblue said:
SWP's back said:
bgblue said:

Glad I've done something right Sam, the missus was fucking dead against it! Think she bought into all the uncertainty, and wanted a bit of security in the bank, then I went an virtually emptied it. Coming round a bit more now though
No you've done great mate and I am thrilled for you. It really helps in you are in a trade as well and that you know your area and also buying and selling at the right price (I know that sounds so simple as to be idiotic but it is true none the less).

SWP's back said:
bgblue said:
SWP's back said:

No you've done great mate and I am thrilled for you. It really helps in you are in a trade as well and that you know your area and also buying and selling at the right price (I know that sounds so simple as to be idiotic but it is true none the less).

This is so true. The thing that put me off most was the fact that I would have to buy a long way from where I live as house prices in my area are crazy. I don't feel I would have enough control or enough info to make an informed decision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.