The End of on Street Parking within walking distance of the Etihad

Why worry about buses trams trains & car parking when you can just abandon your car in town & join the march to the match City have started up again
park in town for free? Where?

I parked last Saturday £6 for two hours......2 hours maximum stay.

What about disabled who can hardly walk but don't qualify for a blue badge etc never mind march with screaming kids?

Just having a look on the map. What's the deal with Ridgway Street, which runs parallel to Bradford Road? The stretch between Butler Street and Mercer Road is down as being in the "no waiting" zone, and the stretch between Eastfield Avenue and Varley Street is as well, but there's a huge empty bit in the middle where there's no orange or blue line? So basically 60% of the road will land you with a fine but the other 40% won't? Doesn't make sense.

This is the point at which the club (and arena operators) should be kicking the council all over the place.
Neither have a say in organising public transport but have a right to demand an explanation as their customers are being forced to use it due to the lack of parking.
The current system seems well balanced, further restrictions make attending games impossible for some fans. I know concerts can be planned up to a year or 18 months in advance but restricting these to Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays will minimise the risk of the arena and stadium being used on the same day.
We know the trams are generally crap and the few busses available get caught in pedestrian traffic on Ashton New Road, so we need busses lined up at the academy to go into town on Ashton Old Road (or force pedestrians down Cambrian Street and along Bradford Road then Pollards Street to town). - We also need busses in the north car park given priority north along AT Way and into town along Oldham Road (for Piccadilly), and Rochdale Road for Shudehill interchange and Victoria. The Rochdale Road busses could also stop at Central Park tram stop.
The only other alternative would be several huge park and ride facilities.
Bottom line: This is the council saying fuck City fans, fuck city, and fuck all those who want to use the new arena.

15 pages so far. How many have done the online objection posted earlier ? Mrs Mist has never been allowed to go to the Etihad but she's done it, she doesn't know she has but........
If you don't object, don't complain.

Edit the survey is on page 5. It takes 2 minutes.
Except it isnt really an objection is it?
It's an opportunity to comment and that allows them to interpret responses as they see fit, a bit like VAR does.

This is a done deal from the council.
Instead of restricting parking on Non-residential streets they should be concentrating on helping traffic flow away from the ground and putting alternative transport options in place.

park in town for free? Where?

I parked last Saturday £6 for two hours......2 hours maximum stay.

What about disabled who can hardly walk but don't qualify for a blue badge etc never mind march with screaming kids?
I literally meant abandoning it (apologies if it went over your head) that seems like the only option they’re putting on the table at the minute, surely City must be considering building a multi storey on the site, I’d expect that to be a condition of the club being able to extend. Looks like initiatives such as rent a drive/parking space (like around Wembley) is something people would consider, or private agreements

I literally meant abandoning it (apologies if it went over your head) that seems like the only option they’re putting on the table at the minute, surely City must be considering building a multi storey on the site, I’d expect that to be a condition of the club being able to extend. Looks like initiatives such as rent a drive/parking space (like around Wembley) is something people would consider, or private agreements
How do you get to games?

a multi storey car park? Imagine that at the end of a game or concert?

This car parking ban will have bad consequences for many City fans. There are thousands who park near the ground.

Most are not on residential streets as they have mostly been banned already.

Getting a place to park is nigh on impossible as it is and many park up to 3 hours before the game to stand a chance.

Last edited:
These restrictions seem to be less about football and more about the Arena and a concern that concerts 52 weeks a year will create permanent car parking issues in the area. But the big impact is clearly for City home games. The difference between an Arena capacity of 23,000 against Stadium capacity of 55,000 rising to 61,000.

I don't know what the car parking capacity is at the moment, but I would presume that a mix of Campus car parking, private car parking and public transport will be sufficient to manage the Arena. Although the proposed break in the line from Piccadilly just as the Arena is opening, shows a severe lack of forward planning. It needs (but I doubt it will be provided) and full capacity replacement bus service out of the city centre even if they manage to create a New islington to Ashton only tram service.

So that leaves a disproportionate impact on City home matches. At the moment I park in the City Centre in one of the few free spots not affected by these proposals. But from what I can see of the HS2 proposals I presume it will get swallowed up in those. I have on one occasion when the traffic was awful parked at East Didsbury, which has the advantage of EV charging so whilst I'm fit enough to walk in and out of the city centre, that might be an option. But I really don't fancy the scrum at the Etihad Tram stop if ever I cant manage the walk back to town.

I do quite understand the desire to encourage us not to use cars - but it has to be linked to a good quality reliable affordable public transport system - and Manchester is no where near having one of those.

These restrictions seem to be less about football and more about the Arena and a concern that concerts 52 weeks a year will create permanent car parking issues in the area. But the big impact is clearly for City home games. The difference between an Arena capacity of 23,000 against Stadium capacity of 55,000 rising to 61,000.

I don't know what the car parking capacity is at the moment, but I would presume that a mix of Campus car parking, private car parking and public transport will be sufficient to manage the Arena. Although the proposed break in the line from Piccadilly just as the Arena is opening, shows a severe lack of forward planning. It needs (but I doubt it will be provided) and full capacity replacement bus service out of the city centre even if they manage to create a New islington to Ashton only tram service.

So that leaves a disproportionate impact on City home matches. At the moment I park in the City Centre in one of the few free spots not affected by these proposals. But from what I can see of the HS2 proposals I presume it will get swallowed up in those. I have on one occasion when the traffic was awful parked at East Didsbury, which has the advantage of EV charging so whilst I'm fit enough to walk in and out of the city centre, that might be an option. But I really don't fancy the scrum at the Etihad Tram stop if ever I cant manage the walk back to town.

I do quite understand the desire to encourage us not to use cars - but it has to be linked to a good quality reliable affordable public transport system - and Manchester is no where near having one of those.
Exactly.

The buses still run, all 3 of them. At 78 people per bus that's ergh just over 200 fans.

That’s a bit shit. There used to be a huge line of them when I used them. Probably at least 20. Can’t imagine why they’ve reduced it so dramatically. Unless they thought everyone was going to switch to the tram?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.