The final Manchester Derby at Maine Road

As someone who started going to games as a child in the early 90's, this was by far my favourite win at the old stadium. The atmosphere was absolutely amazing from start to finish. The crowd wanted the win so badly and that feeling transferred onto the players who subsequently gave their all against a far superior side.

I'd never seen us beat United. I'd heard about the mythical 5-1, but I grew up as United became the dominate force while we sank from the middle of the Premier League into the lowly depths of League One. Never mind winning a trophy, even beating United felt like an impossible dream. I went through primary school, high school and 6th form without us beating them a single time.

That spell being broken after 13 years in the final Maine Road Derby was so special. Neville fed The Goat of course, who later notched his 100th goal for the club. The feeling at the final whistle was amazing and came with a huge outpour of joy.

For someone like me, who only ever knew the dark times, it remains one of my most special memories supporting City. Feed the goat and he will score.

The 89 derby was not mythical! It happened!

As someone who started going to games as a child in the early 90's, this was by far my favourite win at the old stadium. The atmosphere was absolutely amazing from start to finish. The crowd wanted the win so badly and that feeling transferred onto the players who subsequently gave their all against a far superior side.

I'd never seen us beat United. I'd heard about the mythical 5-1, but I grew up as United became the dominate force while we sank from the middle of the Premier League into the lowly depths of League One. Never mind winning a trophy, even beating United felt like an impossible dream. I went through primary school, high school and 6th form without us beating them a single time.

That spell being broken after 13 years in the final Maine Road Derby was so special. Neville fed The Goat of course, who later notched his 100th goal for the club. The feeling at the final whistle was amazing and came with a huge outpour of joy.

For someone like me, who only ever knew the dark times, it remains one of my most special memories supporting City. Feed the goat and he will score.

may I thank you for that post? I know I am getting on a bit, but that was a great day in our clubs great sporting history, I thank you.

Although I have supported city since 1990, this was my first ever match. Unforgettable, and the noise was incredible! I was sat behind the united bench, Ferguson was going absolutely ballistic, and I remember David May on the bench looking up at the crowd and it was easy to see he was amazed by the noise of the crowd.
The Brazilian type dance tune (can’t think of the name) was pumped out at full time and everyone went mad!
I have a squad signed and KK autographed (printed) panoramic I got in the club shop a year or so later and you can even spot ourselves in the crowd (which is class).
For ultimate days out (been about 100 plus times since).... begins the goals where yaya downed United at Wembley for me, prob shades it!

I'm old enough to remember the 5-1 but was deemed too young and the game too rough for my dad to take me, so this was the first time I was there to see us beat the rags.

Great day, shouted myself hoarse and wrecked my shins on the seats in front, don't mind admitting I had tears in my eyes as we bellowed out we're the pride of Manchester near the end, still get a lump in the throat just thinking about it.

The goat skinning ratboy will always be remembered, but I was so impressed with Peter Schmeichel that day. He punched the air in delight at beating the rags. Showed me he was a true professional and winner. Not many ex rags would have done that.

so far have we come from wanting to beat united so badly to its just another game and united now wanting to beat us so badly

truly the tide as turned and manchester city are on another level to united and from rags to riches we have not only become champions and the best team in england we have sent united on the way and put them out to seed. we have took on fergie and seen him off and 2 others and jose and united have spent millions and millions playing catch up and still manchester city are breaking all sorts records

It’s certainly up there with one of the best atmospheres I’ve experienced, the noise was incredible but I felt it was more about hatred for those c.nts than joy for us. I’ve still got a signed print of the goat taking the piss out of Neville and Bartez.

The first derby at the Etihad wasn’t bad either.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.