The Foodies thread

Beef short rib today.

6 hours at 130/140

Sear rib set to one side, soften onions, use whatever spice rub you want, I used bog standard rosemary and thyme today bit of garlic, SnP.

Place ribs on in cast iron pot on top of onions and then about 600ml of water and two oxo cubes.

Remove when done, meat should slide right off the bone, remove any outer skin that is tough still, the rest shred and put to one side.

Take half the liquid away and thicken the remainder put meat back in and on hob to keep warm.

Toast a focaccia bread, half it and fill with the meat and pickled red cabbage suits it beautifully, bit of side salad and job done.

Did the potted shrimp crumpets with kohlrabi and gherkin salad from here last night.
Delicious.

Delicious fish dishes from one of the most copied chefs in Britain

This is barely cooking.

Decent enough for a quick midweek tea but surely you can post better than this.

I made my own dauphinoise potatoes to accompany a couple of sirloin steaks for me and my wife last night.

Was gorgeous and really easy.

Maris piper potatoes
Garlic
Cream
Salt
Pepper
Nutmeg
(Didn't bother with gruyere cheese)

Slice the potatoes thinly and mince the garlic into a puree type consistency. Mix together adding salt and pepper.

Layer the potatoes and garlic in an oven proof dish and pour over enough cream so that the potatoes will basically boil in the cream. Pinch of nutmeg on the top.

Put in the oven at about 135/140 for at least an hour and a half. Check that the potatoes have softened. If not, put back the oven for another 20 minutes or until softened.

Easy, cheap and proper tasty. I reckon a bit of onion and pancetta running through it would make it a meal in itself.
As we're playing Spain and not France tonight, I decided to share with the forum an Anglo-Spanish dish to celebrate this auspitious occasion with a meal beffiting a king.

You could not have floored a food contributer more by suggesting that my dish was just a quick midweek tea.

Obviously I will get over this with the support of our forum and will probably return as a better chef for it. but for now lets get down to business with your own tate o tat offerings.

To omit the Gruyere cheese or parmesan or even a dollop of good o'l cheddar is not only slack work lad, but more a culinary attack et le massacre of a dish created in 18th century France, actually hailing from the Dauphine region.

Yes you can effectively press with eggs instead of cheese but in my esteemed optinion it's the cheese affording extra flavours as long as you dont overpower with garlic. Helful tip .. Your ovens too cool.

Your dish is similar to dauphinoise potatoes and potato au gratin, but imo attributable to neither as you left out the cheese, therefore you made nothing but "scalloped potatoes" that also provide for a quick and easy mid week tea : /

Last edited:
As we're playing Spain and not France tonight, I decided to share with the forum an Anglo-Spanish dish to celebrate this auspitious occasion with a meal beffiting a king.

You could not have floored a food contributer more by suggesting that my dish was just a quick midweek tea.

Obviously I will get over this with the support of our forum and will probably return as a better chef for it. but for now lets get down to business with your own tate o tat offerings.

To omit the Gruyere cheese or parmesan or even a dollop of good o'l cheddar is not only slack work lad, but more a culinary attack et le massacre of a dish created in 18th century France, actually hailing from the Dauphine region.

Yes you can effectively press with eggs instead of cheese but in my esteemed optinion it's the cheese affording extra flavours as long as you dont overpower with garlic. Helful tip .. Your ovens too cool.

Your dish is similar to dauphinoise potatoes and potato au gratin, but imo attributable to neither as you left out the cheese, therefore you made nothing but "scalloped potatoes" that also provide for a quick and easy mid week tea : /
Well said Bob !

Apologies if this is already a thing, I couldn’t see one.

What are you cooking and what are your favourite foods ?

I love cooking, so making something from scratch is like escapism for me.

Obviously I love cooking a roast, I also made a lamb masala the other night which the wife said was “very good”

But the thing I’d love to master/do is a Beef Wellington, that would be me climbing Mount Everest, I’m just not confident about doing the flaky puff pastry.
Paella

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.