The Foodies thread

As we're playing Spain and not France tonight, I decided to share with the forum an Anglo-Spanish dish to celebrate this auspitious occasion with a meal beffiting a king.

You could not have floored a food contributer more by suggesting that my dish was just a quick midweek tea.

Obviously I will get over this with the support of our forum and will probably return as a better chef for it. but for now lets get down to business with your own tate o tat offerings.

To omit the Gruyere cheese or parmesan or even a dollop of good o'l cheddar is not only slack work lad, but more a culinary attack et le massacre of a dish created in 18th century France, actually hailing from the Dauphine region.

Yes you can effectively press with eggs instead of cheese but in my esteemed optinion it's the cheese affording extra flavours as long as you dont overpower with garlic. Helful tip .. Your ovens too cool.

Your dish is similar to dauphinoise potatoes and potato au gratin, but imo attributable to neither as you left out the cheese, therefore you made nothing but "scalloped potatoes" that also provide for a quick and easy mid week tea : /
I disagree regarding the oven temperature as they turned out nice and soft throughout, not a hard slice of potato in the whole dish. It simmered long and slow, ensuring an even cook. It was really nice without the cheese but I do take your point.

Sorry if I was blunt sir but throwing a packet mix over a chicken breast and throwing it in the air fryer, that don't impress me much.

However your style when posting does and if you could cook as well as you post, well I'd imagine you'd have a cook book or two out. Definitely one of the best posters on this forum.

throwing a packet mix over a chicken breast and throwing it in the air fryer, that don't impress me much.
Throwing various condiment mixes over a sliced spud and throwing it in the oven, that don't impress me much.

Garlic:
Did you grow your own cloves on the kitchen window sill? Salt: Would that be Saxa out of the shaker? Pepper: Maybe lovingly ground yourself from Pestle and Mortar? Nutmeg: Shwartz or M&S?

U4ocgS6.gif

Last edited:
Throwing various condiment mixes over a sliced spud and throwing it in the oven, that don't impress me much.

Garlic:
Did you grow your own cloves on the kitchen window sill? Salt: Would that be Saxa out of the shaker? Pepper: Maybe lovingly ground yourself from Pestle and Mortar? Nutmeg: Shwartz or M&S?

U4ocgS6.gif
I'd say it's a bit more effort than a packet mix/airfryer combo. For best results, pan fry your chicken breast.

Admit it Two Gun. You're more of a 'for best results, cook from frozen' type of bloke.

Last edited:

Garlic:

U4ocgS6.gif
Best salt is Himalayan Pink. Decent coarse sea salt is not bad. No culinary salt should come from a shaker.

This is barely cooking.

Decent enough for a quick midweek tea but surely you can post better than this.

I made my own dauphinoise potatoes to accompany a couple of sirloin steaks for me and my wife last night.

Was gorgeous and really easy.

Maris piper potatoes
Garlic
Cream
Salt
Pepper
Nutmeg
(Didn't bother with gruyere cheese)

Slice the potatoes thinly and mince the garlic into a puree type consistency. Mix together adding salt and pepper.

Layer the potatoes and garlic in an oven proof dish and pour over enough cream so that the potatoes will basically boil in the cream. Pinch of nutmeg on the top.

Put in the oven at about 135/140 for at least an hour and a half. Check that the potatoes have softened. If not, put back the oven for another 20 minutes or until softened.

Easy, cheap and proper tasty. I reckon a bit of onion and pancetta running through it would make it a meal in itself.
Try par boiling the potatoes. Don't need quite so long in the oven.

Best salt is Himalayan Pink. Decent coarse sea salt is not bad. No culinary salt should come from a shaker.
I am just back from a seasiders jolly to Flamborough and kept telling our local chippy this when he was seasoning my fish supper, and on the very last day he told me to fuck off. I think he was stressed out as his shop was busy.

A Presbyterian minister by the name of Mathew Henry once said "There's none so deaf as those that will not hear"

A little akin to our own resident chef Gok-Wan-Ace, who admited his potatoes came out undercooked by cautioning to "put em back in if there still hard" You couldn't cook a Turnip at them low temperatures, let alone a Maris Piper!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.