The FTSE

Bad couple of days for everything if the funds in my portfolio are anything to go by. Was just about to shift some to cash as well but hate to sell when they are down
Been a bit of a mixed bag for me. Some big falls partially mitigated by gains in travel, oil/gas and a few others. Overall down 2 or 3 percent over the last couple of weeks, but up 7% over 3 months and well ahead of my pre-pandemic figure so not too concerned yet.

Showing 47% growth on my relatively modest portfolio since I started punting beginning of April last year

Should have put some TUI in there few weeks ago but got distracted

RR benefit from travel recovery as they get revenues based on hours flown

Time to pick a cruise company, Carnival?

Bollocks, just looked they're already up 6.5% today

Only started investing in December but this is a good and sobering lesson for me - from +40% to -10% in less than a week!!!!

I wouldn't worry about that too much. You should be looking to invest for a longer period that that, unless you are a full time trader. And we're in a time when there's such volatility because of covid. Boris talks about the potential for holidays and suddenly sales rocket and travel companies have a huge boost. If that roadmap goes awry then they'll drop off again.

The fundamentals of investing haven't changed. A lot of businesses have suffered, their share price has dropped, but they've got enough to get through it and get back to the good times so in a few years you'll be fine if you've invested in them. Others are smashing it at the moment and might drop off when things go back to normal, if they do... and then ones like Nio are promising but will largely rise/fall as Tesla do because it's the market leader and a lot of people have invested because everyone's tipped it!

I wouldn't worry about that too much. You should be looking to invest for a longer period that that, unless you are a full time trader.
No worries. It wasn't a moan, just an observation. A lot of my investment the last few weeks has been in lithium, which given the global shortage and ramp-up in EV requirements, will almost certainly come good over the next few years. I only invest pocket money anyway, so it's probably not a big deal if there are massive gains or massive losses.

Showing 47% growth on my relatively modest portfolio since I started punting beginning of April last year

Should have put some TUI in there few weeks ago but got distracted

RR benefit from travel recovery as they get revenues based on hours flown

Time to pick a cruise company, Carnival?

Bollocks, just looked they're already up 6.5% today
Great time to start.
Got carnival last March at £6.40.
Just topped up on GSK who are down over 30% during the pandemic. They should pick up once people start going out more and address their non-Covid health needs which have been neglected hence the fall in profits. As always, just my opinion.

This thread reminds me of this.

Its also got a hint of the gambler mate who will happily tell you about the £000's won on some randon bet but never mentions the losses. That is the problem with these types of discussions. From the outside looking in you can get a very false impression of the reality - which is often very boring.

Its also got a hint of the gambler mate who will happily tell you about the £000's won on some randon bet but never mentions the losses. That is the problem with these types of discussions. From the outside looking in you can get a very false impression of the reality - which is often very boring.
To redress the balance, I sold MKS at a huge loss last year after waiting for years for it to recover to anywhere near the price I paid. Also sold some others with similar losses so it's not all ups. Also lost a few quid on the Gamestop shorting nonsense but I knew that was a gamble. The only saving grace is that I can use those losses to offset gains made for CGT purposes. Also between the end of Feb and the end of March last year, the whole portfolio was down 25% which was a little concerning.

To redress the balance, I sold MKS at a huge loss last year after waiting for years for it to recover to anywhere near the price I paid. Also sold some others with similar losses so it's not all ups. Also lost a few quid on the Gamestop shorting nonsense but I knew that was a gamble. The only saving grace is that I can use those losses to offset gains made for CGT purposes. Also between the end of Feb and the end of March last year, the whole portfolio was down 25% which was a little concerning.
Don’t mention Marks and Spencer , bad memories !!

Apologies if it’s been asked before, but what’s the best platform to use for trading? Got about £5k spare and want to put in low-medium risk stocks instead of the bank
I'm a novice, only started in May and only got less than £2k invested so far so maybe people better to advise but I've been using freetrade.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.