The FTSE

I wish I had been fearful in January beacuse like many others, I've "lost" a shed load. But at least I am in the fortunate position to be greedy now.

I'm holding on and not selling a single share. I will patiently wait for the recovery, which always, I repeat always, arrives.

Anyway, buying high and selling low is never a successful strategy.

I wish I had been fearful in January beacuse like many others, I've "lost" a shed load. But at least I am in the fortunate position to be greedy now.

I'm holding on and not selling a single share. I will patiently wait for the recovery, which always, I repeat always, arrives.

A persons time horizons are essential in terms of future liquidity requirements, I thought a few weeks back with the number spikes in Italy this had the potential to dwarf the global financial crisis in terms of global economic paralysis. I have many clients now who are in a position that they have to liquidate their portfolios due to prior contractual arrangements to purchase large ticket items -ouch!

Personally, I would not recommend to anyone going in to these markets with cash that they think they might actually need in 3/6months to 1 year time due to impending financial commitments/ when fear is about cash is king. If you feel you have to go in, then you need a diversified portfolio of asset classes not just shares to reduce your risk! If your a day trader than fair enough you should already have a disciplined stop loss policy ingrained in you.

Way too much uncertainty in my opinion jumping in now especially as we are really at the start of this... as mentioned before keep an eye on developments in the states with the virus to give you a heads up as where we go from here in terms of markets.

We are inevitably heading for a global recession and the real question is for how long? However, it’s not even the main priority right now.

do you not work with hedging mechanisms to mitigate stock losses? Have worked on the corporate desk and private individuals desk back in the day, I was always astounded as to what the differential drops were between the two groups of investors, say over a 5 year time frame. private investors were always stock or fund buyers and in later years structured products but either way other than a token weighting in AAA bonds that was it. corporates would invest in a lot more put options, currency hedges, commodities etc as part of their overall portfolio.

I would be surprised if anyone on BM has lost as much as I did in the markets over such a short time frame of about 48 hours (think it was the year 2000) with a range of call options I bought and put options (I sold/underwrote ) on the nasdaq tech sector just before it crashed - still piss myself when I look back as I was an arrogant twat who thought he had the Midas touch :-)

people are going to have sit-this one out if they are holding stocks and shares and possibly expect some further drops I said this a few weeks ago the strength of short term global markets hinge on how the covid19 story plays out in the states and for how long, if we see any necessity to implement an Italian style lockdown over there ( even in an individual state) I would not be surprised to see another 20% - 30% drop from the indices price closes from yesterday.
Nick Leeson who’s a City fan would give you a run for your money regarding losses if he is a BM poster

Nick Leeson who’s a City fan would give you a run for your money regarding losses if he is a BM poster

Yes, remember that quite well - kept on rooting for him as he was a blue :-) to be fair it wasn’t his money he that he lost.

It isn't a loss until you cash out anyway, my port is down 25%, will start investing more over the next few weeks.

Yes, remember that quite well - kept on rooting for him as he was a blue :-) to be fair it wasn’t his money he that he lost.
Your right. I am sure it’s not quite as painful when it’s someone else’s money. If it’s any consolation I am around £200k down on my RBS shares at the moment but not panicking. It’s an ideal time to buy some more and get my average cost down

Unless it has Lifestyling on it they won’t be reducing risk. The latter one will have taken a bit of a hit for sure.

When you come to take benefits from pensions you don’t need to take it all in one go. You can take up to 25% tax free. However, when markets are like this, you may want to only take enough to last you a year and leave the balance. There are lots of ways of taking benefits and you may be best taking some advice. Property funds are a bit of favour too

My understanding was the 25% tax free had been changed. For example if you take 10k out the first 2.5k is tax free the rest taken at source at basic rate you can then reclaim that deduction as part of your annual allowance had you not exceeded it. Hope I'm wrong tbh, 55 in August.

My understanding was the 25% tax free had been changed. For example if you take 10k out the first 2.5k is tax free the rest taken at source at basic rate you can then reclaim that deduction as part of your annual allowance had you not exceeded it. Hope I'm wrong tbh, 55 in August.

You can do that. That is one way of taking it.

The other is to just take some of the tax free cash if you want to.

If you have no other income then the way you mentioned could work best.

However, some people only take benefits when they reach state pension age and have other income to factor in, so it may not work as well for them.

On the partially taking tax free cash for example, if you have £200k in a pension fund, you can take £50k in tax free cash.

However you could just open up £40k of the £200k pot and take £10k tax free (25%). This may be all you need for six months or a year, so gives the balance of the fund time to recover form the current falls.

Some people think you have to take all of the tax free cash at once as often the provider sends that as an option on the illustrations they send you.

It can be a minefield all of this and i believe if you take advice only once in your life, this is the time to take it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.