The FTSE

It's a long hold if buying but I recon Blackberry could be back in the game, they have earnings 17/12/20
I'm not expecting anything out of the ordinary, it's the forward guidance I'm waiting to see

It's a long hold if buying but I recon Blackberry could be back in the game, they have earnings 17/12/20
I'm not expecting anything out of the ordinary, it's the forward guidance I'm waiting to see
Are you buying blackberry on the nyse or London. Guessing London easier??

I have increased my equity exposure recently as been reading fairly bullish reports for the coming year. It’s amazing how well some people have done this year given what’s happened. I was speaking to someone earlier who is at the cautious end of the spectrum and he has made over 6% net this year which is pretty good even in normal years at that level of risk.

Sold the RBS shares in full now making nearly 80 percent on a significant investment. 93p to 164p. Gone into Legal and General with the gain and took out the original investment and is enough to cover the kids student debt.

I honestly think the FTSE will hit 8000 next year at some stage. The bounce back is going to be very strong in my humble opinion.
Good work. Most advice is not to pay off student debt in one hit but let it run. Certainly what I have read anyway.

Good work. Most advice is not to pay off student debt in one hit but let it run. Certainly what I have read anyway.
Given that students only start paying off the debt when they earn a certain amount (£21K, I think),
then they only pay a certain percentage for all money above that (9%, I think)
and any outstanding debt is wiped after 30 years, it's crazy to pay it all off.

It's not a debt anyway, it's basically a tax.

So a new graduate on a starting salary of £30K would only pay 9% of £9K, which is about £68 a month in payback.

I have increased my equity exposure recently as been reading fairly bullish reports for the coming year. It’s amazing how well some people have done this year given what’s happened. I was speaking to someone earlier who is at the cautious end of the spectrum and he has made over 6% net this year which is pretty good even in normal years at that level of risk.

I've had 13% in managed mixed risk, but mainly cautious, funds since May. A lot of this are recovery from Covid related losses of course. DJIA at record highs and developing markets doing well. FTSE 20% down on pre Covid so still some gains to be made I believe.

Given that students only start paying off the debt when they earn a certain amount (£21K, I think),
then they only pay a certain percentage for all money above that (9%, I think)
and any outstanding debt is wiped after 30 years, it's crazy to pay it all off.

It's not a debt anyway, it's basically a tax.

So a new graduate on a starting salary of £30K would only pay 9% of £9K, which is about £68 a month in payback.
Absolutely right. The current threshold is £2214 per month which is £26568 per year so someone on £30k would pay just £309 in repayments.
A typical student loan after 3 years at uni is around £40-50k so if you have a spare £50k you want to spend on your son/daughter, it would be advisable to invest it for them to give them an income. £50k invested can easily provide an income of £2-3k which is far in excess of the £309 they would be paying back. It's madness to pay it off.

There was definitely some great buying opportunities this year and the gains I've made from shares bought towards the end of March have more than offset the reductions in value of the shares already held that took a hit in the general market slump. I suspect those ones will continue to recover and next year should be very good - assuming we get over Brexit FTA uncertainty.

Also done very well over the last year investing in a couple of companies developing hydrogen energy solutions, but the best one was in a company that invests in mining companies - one of its investee companies is a gold mining company that have literally struck gold. The gold mining company is GGP but I've invested via SVE which still has a discount to NAV of around 50% apparently, even though it's up tenfold already in a year.

It’s a no brainer for anybody fortunate enough to have the finance available , stocks directly if you do enough research or invest in a managed fund or two , just check the commission you pay . With interest rates so low any money in traditional accounts is basically shrinking . Pre COVID peer to peer gave me a return of just under 9%. Fortunately I got out just before Feb this year . Like most things a bit of leg work and research gets reward .

Airbnb up 115% on first day of trading. Wow. Such a simple idea!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.