The game is off

Question for people of a certain age.
Only other City game I can remember being postponed whilst on route to the game would have been in the mid to late 70s.
We had just reached Claremont Road on our way to our usual spot on Santiago Street, when my dad got told by a bloke in a car coming the other way that the game was off due to the fog.
Anybody know who we would have been playing?
(I don't have a clue by the way!)

Result for me.
Left Home at 5am for meeting in Newcastle , so I'd have time to get home for kick off. Left Newcastle at 3pm, and got stuck on the M62 at Leeds. Got home at 10pm.

Skashion said:
Danamy said:
Amazing how many people are happy to put themselves and others in danger to watch a football match?

The people who are saying why leave it so late, I'm sure they were waiting to see if it died down but it didn't, shit happens and the call was correct for everyone.
The dangers were already well established, and have been since last night when the red warning was issued. All day it has been like this with snowballing road closures and train line closures. So, what actually happened is anyone who has to set off before twenty to seven were actually endangered unnecessarily. For some on here, that has meant horrendously long dangerous journeys for no reason. You're attempting to create a straw man by arguing that people who wanted the match to go ahead aren't considering the safety of others. Not true. Very few have argued the decision to postpone was wrong (and one of those being Pigeonho who never goes to games and a couple of our foreign fans) because of safety concerns, We've been out there on the roads tonight. We know it's fucking dangerous. What many have said is that it should have been much sooner thus ensuring the safety and convenience of far more people.

Spot on.
Most of the dangers could have been avoided by not forcing people to travel to a game that ultimately wasn't on (myself included)
Severe weather warnings issued yesterday (rare red warnings at that) not predicted to ease until kick off at the earliest

Right decision in the end but should have been called off early afternoon and stopped people travelling, hence reducing risk massively.

johnbmcr said:
asgoodasitgets said:
Went corporate tonight and City have generously agreed to provide tonight's meal and drinks gratis.
What's not to like?

the meal?
Good shout
Although the starters were exquisite, the fillet steak was cooked medium. Jamie Oliver knows I prefer mine medium rare, the cocker nee wanker.
Deconstructed rhubarb cheesecake was a let down too. No digestives.
Sort it out City!

Skashion said:
Danamy said:
Amazing how many people are happy to put themselves and others in danger to watch a football match?

The people who are saying why leave it so late, I'm sure they were waiting to see if it died down but it didn't, shit happens and the call was correct for everyone.
The dangers were already well established, and have been since last night when the red warning was issued. All day it has been like this with snowballing road closures and train line closures. So, what actually happened is anyone who has to set off before twenty to seven were actually endangered unnecessarily. For some on here, that has meant horrendously long dangerous journeys for no reason. You're attempting to create a straw man by arguing that people who wanted the match to go ahead aren't considering the safety of others. Not true. Very few have argued the decision to postpone was wrong (and one of those being Pigeonho who never goes to games and a couple of our foreign fans) because of safety concerns, We've been out there on the roads tonight. We know it's fucking dangerous. What many have said is that it should have been much sooner thus ensuring the safety and convenience of far more people.

If your journey was that dangerous then why put yourself in danger, I don't understand?

If it's very few that have argued the decision to postpone the game then my comments are for the very few.

In my opinion the decision to call the game off was correct

What was inherently wrong was the time frame in which this was done.
Met office clearly indicate worsening conditions and made absolutely no reference to weather patterns improving
Red warning issued.
This is never given out lightly
The safety officer and GMP cancelled way way too late and actually in doing so put fans at risk by allowing travel.
Just my opinion.
A great call,but timing shite !

Email to safety officer

"Manchester City can confirm that this evening's fixture versus Sunderland has been postponed due to exceptional and escalating weather conditions. The safety of those in around and travelling to the stadium complex cannot be guaranteed.

Dear sir,as our club always cherish feedback and actively encourage the same on a day to day basis I shall make my observations.
This is not a rant or a complaint but more of an observation.

You called it off on the OS with 47 minutes to go after families made very hazardous journey's covering many miles each way to follow the club.

In essence you could not have guaranteed our personal safety when we set off two and a half hours before kick off let alone 47 minutes pre match.

You must have been aware from the met office that the weather was worsening by the hour and would show no sign of abating and yet you still allowed over 40,000 fans to travel in abysmal conditions.

Forty seven minutes notice . ?

You called this way too late sir, way way too late.

Nothing more to say
That is all .
Have a pleasant evening.

BTW
The only good thing to come from this is our team will be well rested before Chelsea on Saturday.

Ducado said:
The wind has just started to die down a bit now here on the Fylde Coast, the worst storm I have seen for years

Even though I had a wasted journey and a hair raising journey back home, it was the right decision, and could be advantageous in the long run
I remember years ago bolting boards onto these tall posts on the prom at Blackpool, was very interesting with the wind there like it is

Just got back now. Pissed off they decided so close to kick off as it was a huge waste of time and money. Picadilly was hectic and it was freezing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.