The Great British Insurance rip off

£300 fine and 6 penalty points is an absolute joke of a punishment. One of the arguments for charging more for insurance is the number of uninsured drivers on the roads yet, making it more unaffordable causes the problem to spiral.
The government should legislate to ensure insurance is affordable for normal people driving an average car, with a bhp not exceeding say 200bhp.
Harsh or lenient?

£300 fine and 6 penalty points is an absolute joke of a punishment. One of the arguments for charging more for insurance is the number of uninsured drivers on the roads yet, making it more unaffordable causes the problem to spiral.
The government should legislate to ensure insurance is affordable for normal people driving an average car, with a bhp not exceeding say 200bhp.

With the amount of ANPR cameras around though you’d have to be a total moron to drive around uninsured, unless you’re committing bigger crimes such as nicking cars or cloning plates etc.

Harsh or lenient?
Definitely lenient. Increasing the fine to ensure it is significantly more than the cost of insurance would be appropriate. Maybe take the median cost of insurance for the vehicle in question and multiply it by 3 as the fine ?

Ye if you insure it for an amount that’s what they should pay, home insurance building gives you a rebuild cost, not my fault if they go up that’s on them, they want their cake and eat it, cunts. No wonder so many aren’t insuring their cars these days, take the risk get a slap on the wrist. Then they say they can increase prices because people aren’t getting insured, I wonder why!
They should change car insurance imo. Maybe add a universal basic insurance to the cost of fuel so you are charged an extra penny when you fill up…or something like that

Just got our pet insurance through and it’s nearly doubled, tried comparison sites and it’s pretty much the same. Our car insurance looks like it’s going up by at least 35%, the thing is we’ve no choice you can’t choose not to have car insurance, they are blaming supply chains etc but they’ll not come down when everything calms down the robbing bastards. The pet insurance is just another money grab, apart from medication and vet fees what can justify a 100% increase, it’s pure fucking greed.
Same as, on Tuesday got my renewal up from 420 to 650, 35% like yours. Been on all the Comparison sites, best I could get was 613, not worth fucking around with NCB for that much. When I rang them (Ageas) put a message on the line “we don’t negotiate discounts over the phone”.

This smacks of cartel like behaviour which I believe is illegal, they need investigating the robbing bastards b

Reactions: PPT
Just renewed my house and contents and it was 50% up on last year

@kaz7
I tried the haggle but they stood firm (Churchill) When I had a look around, their quote was still the cheapest known brand

Imperfect competition or collusion is a concern, the FCA aren’t shy at holding firms to account so if they smell something they will be all over them we have to hope.

What's worse, if you make a claim you get next to fuck all back. You certainly wont be able to replace your car like for like.

Years ago, I was smashed up on the M5 and my two year old car was a total write off (wasn't my fault I hasten to add).

I was offered a fraction of what I had it insured for and when I complained, they said they look at local paper private ads to see the price of a similar aged car.

I said, those types of car don't come with full dealer service history, warranty or protection should it be an illegal sale.

They stood fast and I was thousands out of pocket
I had a van registered to my business in 2017, it had done nearly 200,000 miles but was well maintained and good for many more miles (it’s replacement same modelis still going strong with 300k on the clock).

Anyway, the van was stationary outside the Drivers home, a pissed up uninsured woman crashed into it, writing the vehicle off. I eventually received £2300 for it, I’d spent around £1500 in the previous year to keep it roadworthy and in good condition, none of that counted.

Here’s the kicker, because it’s a hire and reward policy when I came to renew the insurance increased from £1200 to £2300 and I had to declare that for the next 5 years, not only on that but on the 2nd van I owned, my car and Mrs H car, cost me a fortune, all the extra insurance and £10k for the replacement van.

The woman got away with the DD bit, an Ambulance crew had to take her to hospital and the crew wouldn’t let the Police breathalyse her even though it was obvious she was bladdered.

Glad I’m retired, my poor mate who I passed the business onto is in for a shock in March.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.