The Greatest Achievement in Football?

What City did is not the greatest achievement in football ever but it is without doubt one of the greatest in the English domestic game. Holding all four domestic trophies at the end of a season has never been done before. It's a stunning achievement that has not had the accolades that it deserves.

Just wait for the fuss over a team that is self evidently not the best in its own country winning the UCL. It's a pity but not worth getting bitter about. We're the lucky ones who get to really enjoy this City side. Next year, they just need to follow-up by finally winning the UCL (oh and retaining the title).

The fact we somehow won the league ahead of the greatest team of all time has to be worth something, it's better then when Real Madrid won the title in 11/12.

Benfica won 29 matches in a row in 1972 into 1973, over two seasons. It’s the European top flight record.

That takes some doing no matter what league it’s in (saying that, the Portuguese league was better back then than it is now). But it wasn’t under the pressure we had to win our 14 in a row to end this season. Benfica won the title by ten points and then the run went into the next season.

The pressure was on us this season as we had to win every game in a title run-in and we often had to do it after Liverpool had played the day before putting even more pressure on us to win.

Last season we won 18 in a row but it was at a lower pressure time of the season and we were miles ahead of the Rags in the table.

So I’d say, yes, you’d be hard pushed to see a better achievement in football history than we’ve seen since January by City this season. Especially with winning the two Cup competitions to go with it.

I can’t believe Sky did that fantastic “The Centurions” programme for us last season but neither they or the BBC, BT Sport or even Channel 4 who seem to be in on the act of footy programmes these days, haven’t done something on our “Fourmidables” season; the greatest domestic English season in football history.

I certainly doubt it. I would have Leicester in 2016 above us to be fair, City had won more in a row the year before so it wasn't entirely unexpected.

I bet here are hundreds of similar examples.

Agree Leicester purely from a "how the fuck did they do that?" perspective. Incredible achievement which we'll never see again from such a team.

The year before was 18 consecutive wins for us, the record. But I'd argue our 14 wins this season (joint 2nd longest run in Prem history) was more impressive due to the relentlessness of Liverpool and their challenge. 14 wins needed to win the title, 14 obtained is insane. Actually ridiculous levels.

Chuck in the cup games in the FA Cup and CL and I'd say our defence of our title was probably the highest and best defended league title in UK football history.

Unprecedented levels of consistency to get 98 points under the pressure we were under versus the stroll to 100 points we had last year.

This year really hasn't got the credit it deserved. We're watching the best team in Prem history, absolute fact.

Galls me to say it, but Unitd winning the treble took some doing; undefeated in group stages with a group that included Barca and Bayern, then in knock out stages beating Inter then Juve then Bayern. FA cup they beat Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal en route to the final. And lost 3 games in the league.
Our domestic haul this season is unquestionably the best ever, but I think United, by dint of that European Cup win, have the current bragging rights for greatest English achievement. Barca though, may stake the claim for greatest season anywhere:
https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/88/...test-team-barcelona-completes-six-trophy-haul

In this country it would be Leicester winning the league - but that is just recent history and we all lack perspective of bygone times. The Lisbon Lions would be up there. I've no idea about stuff that happened in the 1890s etc, etc.

Galls me to say it, but Unitd winning the treble took some doing; undefeated in group stages with a group that included Barca and Bayern, then in knock out stages beating Inter then Juve then Bayern. FA cup they beat Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal en route to the final. And lost 3 games in the league.
Our domestic haul this season is unquestionably the best ever, but I think United, by dint of that European Cup win, have the current bragging rights for greatest English achievement. Barca though, may stake the claim for greatest season anywhere:
https://www.goal.com/en-us/news/88/...test-team-barcelona-completes-six-trophy-haul

You dirty ****, you will be on congratulating the scousers on winning 6 chumps leagues later.

Some coal tar soap and Detol couldn't get you back clean after that post.

And yet barely a mention from media outlets.....we really haven't received the praise or credit our incredible achievements deserve,but that's not to say there is an agenda......oh no....

Even our own Raheem has noticed that. I saw a quote from him about the fact that no one has made a big deal out of the treble. If another team had done it a lot more would have made of it, of the team and as individuals. He even mentions last season when we won the league with 100 points. He pointed out that people don't seem to realise that it is not easy.

But let's face it, we just keep on showing them all up. That's Man City the best team in the land in all the world.

https://www.ft.com/content/4822b158-819c-11e9-9935-ad75bb96c849 ...................... a very interesting interview with our Raheem. Great little guy. :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.